Wiki Posts
Search

Accident in GF

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Accident in GF

Was in GF this morning with family waiting for flight to Amsterdam to get ready for our exAms - BKK - HKG tomorrow.

There was not much seating available so we were sat right in the corner next to the kitchen. Son aged 8 was getting something with me then went back to the table himself first. I heard a crash and then howling. Something had gotten onto his face so I ran to get bottled water. It turns out that kitchen staff had opened the door carrying hot porridge, turned the corner and walked straight into my son. Staff didn’t do anything. Within about a minute, gentlemen next on next table passes me the ice bucket. Still no staff help and we are panicking trying to get as much water and ice on his face as possible. Later missus told me that staff were busy cleaning up the floor.

About 5 minutes after the screaming stopped, I took him to the toilet to clean up and try to get more water on him. At this point I notice some pink patches on his face and neck. Only afterwards I realised that this was skin coming off. Still no help. Missus joins us and is in hysterics as there are around 4 pink patches on his face and skin and blister on his ear. After around another 5-10 mins or so, finally get a knock on the toilet door asking if we need assistance. I said yes get the paramedic right away.

Paramedic came and provided excellent care and suggested that if we didn’t mind missing our flight then we could get him to a hospital to get him checked out. Getting proper care was obviously more important than a flight so on call manager (I assume) took our details, gave me his contacts details and paramedic had an ambulance to take us to Hillingdon hospital.

We’ve been here for nearly three hours now and they said the burns aren’t too bad, but would like to send us to Chelsea Westminster hospital where they have a proper burns units.

Obviously not in a great mood now and sorry for the long story, but I had some questions please if anyone can help.

1) Manager at the lounge didn’t seem to be very on the ball (very very slow to react) but at least was apologetic. He said that after we were done to call him directly and he will sort out transport back to the airport and flights and everything we need. Does this really mean what he says? I’m not sure how long we will need today, but I’m not entirely sure if we have time or the inclination to go to Amsterdam. Given that the exAMS flight loops back to LHR, would it be possible to just jump straight on that tomorrow with the managers blessing?

2) Our luggage is still in LHR or at least I hope, and not in AMS now. Will it be easily locatable and get where we need it to go?

3) I’m still fuming about the accident itself. I spoke with one of the caterers and she says that they have near missus or bumps all the time with customers as they can’t see around the corner. Plus the fact that no one came to help for ages. In hindsight I should have asked for help straightaway but we were busy panicking and trying to apply first aid. How to I convey these points and my anger to BA?

4) Is there anything I can do or advice that anyone can give please? I’d just like to know what our options are. Very upset.

Last edited by benjai; Jul 8, 2018 at 10:13 am Reason: made clear it was collision with staff
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Kids are astonishingly resilient, and it sounds as though your lad is being well looked after and on the road to a fast recovery. All the best to him!

You, too, seem to be out of panic mood, shifting you attention to travel plans.

I hope BA will pull out the stops to make things as stress free as possible for you. Clearly there's an awful lot they can do to put your mind at rest, and I'd like to think they will do it: BA at it's best can harness a considerable force for good.

If things don't go so smoothly, you might need to invoke travel insurance...
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by benjai
1) Manager at the lounge didn’t seem to be very on the ball (very very slow to react) but at least was apologetic. He said that after we were done to call him directly and he will sort out transport back to the airport and flights and everything we need. Does this really mean what he says? I’m not sure how long we will need today, but I’m not entirely sure if we have time or the inclination to go to Amsterdam. Given that the exAMS flight loops back to LHR, would it be possible to just jump straight on that tomorrow with the managers blessing?

2) Our luggage is still in LHR or at least I hope, and not in AMS now. Will it be easily locatable and get where we need it to go?

3) I’m still fuming about the accident itself. I spoke with one of the caterers and she says that they have near missus or bumps all the time with customers as they can’t see around the corner. Plus the fact that no one came to help for ages. In hindsight I should have asked for help straightaway but we were busy panicking and trying to apply first aid. How to I convey these points and my anger to BA?

4) Is there anything I can do or advice that anyone can give please? I’d just like to know what our options are. Very upset.
I'm sorry to hear about this dreadful start to your trip, though it must be really worrying for you, nevertheless you are in the right hands now, and I've no doubt that the NHS will do all they can to sort out your son. I suspect most of us at some stage in growing up had some mishap of this sort, and usually there are few or no long term implications. Whatever it was that happened to him (which is unclear - collision with a cup of hot water maybe?), I'm sure he will do something different next time. All parents worry for their kids, mostly it works out fine in the end.

1) If it's the BA South lounge manager then yes he can resolve a suitable outcome, though it may be easier to resolve as and when you get back to T5. He is well known to many of the FT regulars here.

2) The luggage can be easily rerouted so long as you have the tags, they will be in a special limbo area. It's best if they stay there and then booked onto another flight, however realistically there is a risk they may not be at your final or intermediate arrival point.

3) Realistically the lounge staff would expect parents to look after their children, though basic human kindness comes in at some point, they probably come across a screaming child several times a day. I would read zero into the apparent lack of interest. I was once involved a dreadful incident that made the headlines in the UK for weeks on end, and I can tell you that trying to think clearly, rationally when the totally unexpected happens is not easy. Moreover your kid needed firstly you the parents, then professional medical help, more than assistance from catering staff. But it's a good reminder to all of us travellers that should we come across an incident of this sort that there is a bike based NHS paramedic service always on duty in T5 (and T3) so if this happens, get a BA staff member to page them. So in that respect maybe some good will come of your experience and your FT post.

4) Concentrate on the kid so that he is sorted out, then contact your insurers to have them on standby, then if you think you are able to travel, go to T5 and follow up with the lounge manager if needed. Best to be pragmatic with outcomes, and seek rather than demand compassion. Remember to bring any paperwork from the hospital just in case there is a "fitness to fly" question, though for burns I don't think that's much of an issue. Then keep calm, carry on and enjoy the trip.
Schwann likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Hello thank you for the advice so far. We are on the way to Chelsea Westminster hospital now. I think we’ll have to see what the doctors say first and then decide what to do. The persons name at GF had initals DB, hopefully he is the manager? It was hot porridge that was spilt, and the paramedic (on the bike) said it’s pretty nasty stuff to get on you as it sticks.

Thanks again Ian and Cws.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have been involved in two accidents in airline lounges. The first was back in the old T4 Concorde lounge when a panel fell on my head causing bleeding to my face. Was about two hours from boarding flight to OZ and paramedics wanted to take me to Hillingdon. I really didn't want to miss my flight so decided to get patched up in the lounge. BA took our tickets from us and immediately upgraded us from CW to First for both legs via Singapore. If I remember correctly, they also sent me a case of wine when I got home.
The second accident was much more serious and did result in proper medical treatment. The airline in question re-routed us at my request. Had previously been transiting in Scandinavia but they put us on a flight directly back to UK.
I think BA will probably be as helpful as possible with your travel changes not least because they want to avoid legal action.

Hope your son gets better quickly.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:12 am

Sorry to hear this terrible news, it truly is a worrying time.

A few thoughts: does the lounge have CCTV covering that area? It might help in seeing exactly what happened. I guess it is waiting upon the medical team's assessment now as to the way forward. I do hope your son recovers quickly, and you still get to enjoy your holiday.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC GfL, currently GGL
I believe this will need to be reported to Health and Safety Executive under RIDDOR. Accident in a workplace to a member of the public leading to injury necessitating hospital treatment.
origin, Jeannietx, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by benjai
Hello thank you for the advice so far. We are on the way to Chelsea Westminster hospital now. I think we’ll have to see what the doctors say first and then decide what to do. The persons name at GF had initals DB, hopefully he is the manager? It was hot porridge that was spilt, and the paramedic (on the bike) said it’s pretty nasty stuff to get on you as it sticks.
Yes, that Duty Manager is well known to me and many FTers (I think @PUCCI GALORE knows him for example), not that it really matters, I would imagine he has put some notes on your PNR and hopefully BA can find a solution for you, it should only get awkward if there was non BA, non Joint Business metal on the booking. And yes, porridge I can imagine is the worst of all worlds in that it won't just run off the skin quickly as a liquid would do, and would cause blistering to young skin. There would then be an issue to ensure there wasn't some infection able to take advantage of the situation. Nasty, but I'm sure it can be fixed quickly.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 8, 2018 at 5:33 am
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it needs to be written down somewhere
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:29 am

Sounds nasty. Without knowing what happened I won't speculate, other than I hope the treatment works and you are on your way soon.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by polemi
I have been involved in two accidents in airline lounges. The first was back in the old T4 Concorde lounge when a panel fell on my head causing bleeding to my face. Was about two hours from boarding flight to OZ and paramedics wanted to take me to Hillingdon. I really didn't want to miss my flight so decided to get patched up in the lounge. BA took our tickets from us and immediately upgraded us from CW to First for both legs via Singapore. If I remember correctly, they also sent me a case of wine when I got home.
The second accident was much more serious and did result in proper medical treatment.
What, if I may ask, in the context of a lounge visit could be more serious than a panel coming crashing down and gashing you in the head? For me the biggest risk of lounge access might be having piping hot soup spilled all over me or the exposure to second hand smoke at some lounges **cough** Cairo **cough**

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, that Duty Manager is well known to me and many FTers (I think @PUCCI GALORE knows him for example), not that it really matters, I would imagine he has put some notes on your PNR and hopefully BA can find a solution for you, it should only get awkward if there was non BA, non Joint Business metal on the booking. And yes, porridge I can imagine is the worst of all worlds in that it won't just run off the skin quickly as a liquid would do, and would cause blistering to young skin. There would then be an issue to ensure there wasn't some infection able to take advantage of the situation. Nasty, but I'm sure it can be fixed quickly.
Yes, a​​​​greed, any burn from a hot liquid containing milk can be problematic from an infection control point of view. A very unfortunate incident.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC
I hope that the excellent NHS staff can get you all sorted and back on track soon with a full recovery for your son, and that BA take care of everything.

Whilst not an excuse for possibly tardy/lacklustre first aid/assistance, the first step to dealing with an incident is always "danger"....is there any? I imagine split liquids need to be dealt with ASAP to prevent further incidents, and that might have been the first thing on the lounge staff's mind.

I don't know if the kitchen staff have any First Aid training (i'd guess most don't, but there should always be someone on hand that is first aid trained), and that they'd not want to become too involved medically if they didn't have a clue what they were doing (which is a good thing - bad medical intervention is worse than no medical intervention, especially with burns). In retrospect the staff involved will probably think "oh, I should have done XYZ", but that's something that can only come from experience, especially if there is no mandatory first aid training. If this had happened onboard, all crew are first aid trained, so would have been more adept at assisting you.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Baec Bronze
Originally Posted by furryman
I believe this will need to be reported to Health and Safety Executive under RIDDOR. Accident in a workplace to a member of the public leading to injury necessitating hospital treatment.
Yes under the RIDDOR act this will need to be documented, investigated and reported to the relevant authorities as it was a hospital visit irrespective that it was a member of the general public or not under the Act.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Legally there needs to be a certain number of first aiders for the number of people and the event needs to be properly recorded.

What you desribe sounds a poor responce.

You did the right thing to pour as much cold water as you could, hope your child has a swift recovery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.