Wiki Posts
Search

Managing timetable changes | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Lefly
I'm sorry, I don't follow... It was a cancellation that led to be rebooked on a flight 6h later. Where the 90 minutes come from?

Maybe I have been unclear. Allow me to try explain better...
Arrival in LAX from KOA (redeye) is at 6:28. The cancelled flight LAX-SFO was scheduled to depart 15:39 with an arrival time of 16:35, while the new one is now departing at 21:30 with arrival in SFO at 22:54. SFO-LHR is the day after at 16:39.

I wouldn't really call that "not significant".
Sorry, I missed that. Had that as a one-hour change.

That is simply AA's auto-booking algorithm. You won't have a problem rebooking onto any flight within the 24 hour connection and certainly the next earlier LAX-SFO.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have a LHR>ORD cash booking landing on a Friday at 15h10
I then booked a separate reward Avios ticket ORD>SMF departing ORD Saturday 13h35 (AA flight) and an airport hotel overnight.
I've just been told by text the Saturday ORD>SMF flight has been delayed to depart at 18h00
Now while this is not a disaster it is bad as I will be booted out of my ORD airport hotel several hours before the flight and land so late in SMF (20h30) that the planned evening in SMF will be wrecked.
I've been given the following options by BA:
Refund. Not helpful as any other arrangement by me will now be costly
Change the ORD>SMF to Friday at 18h00. This is fine as long as I make the 2h50 connection at ORD. Since they are separate tickets BA said tough if I miss it. I am also travelling with someone needing wheelchair assistance so that always delays connections.

So some questions:
1) Can I get them to change the ORD>SMF to ORD>RNO on Friday or Saturday if there is no reward availability (there is currently none)
2) Can I get them to change the ORD>SMF to the Friday if there is no reward availability (there currently is but I may need to wait to decide and it may disappear)
3) If I book a Friday ORD>SMF reward ticket myself and cancel the Saturday one later how late can I cancel and do I get a full refund due to the timetable change. BA said I have only a couple of weeks to get a full refund due to the timetable change. I was thinking of booking the Friday ticket and if I miss the connection I have the Saturday still. If I make it I cancel it while in ORD airport (maybe 24+ hour ahead of Saturday flight)
4) Is there some other option I am missing?

Thanks in advance
K
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Keldin
... I then booked a separate reward Avios ticket ORD>SMF departing ORD Saturday 13h35
And herein lies your problem. This thread relates to timetable changes on connecting flights. Yours in not.

I can't see your options 1 or 2 being successful.

As for 3, you need to cancel the Saturday flight more than 24 hours before the flight. If you need the Saturday flight you will of course forfeit the costs of the Friday flight with no recourse.

In the same position as you I would probably just accept an additional 4 hour wait in ORD.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, BA Executive Club
AA Cancellation on BA booking - what are my routing rights?

Just got notified that the SEA-JFK leg operated by AA on a BA booking has been cancelled.

I had found via ITA Matrix an alternative routing via LAX that got me from SEA to JFK to make my JFK-LHR flight the following morning. Rang up BAEC and was told the only routing possible was SEA-LHR direct. This is a bit confusing as these flights are effectively the same routing I am doing on the way out:

Outbound: LHR-JFK-LAX-SEA
Return: SEA-JFX(Canx)-LHR
Proposed return: SEA-LAX-JFK-LHR.

Am keen to keep the extra stop as this helps me hit Silver. I did think about HUACA as this is the 2nd time this trip has been adjusted due to AA cancellations, and I found BA very flexible the first time round so was surprised they couldn't offer me the AA flights. Is it a different call centre on a Sunday? Would I have better luck calling tomorrow?

Any advice on rights/ routings etc would be appreciated.
thanks, J
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
wait until tomorrow once the AA flight changes have filtered through the system (AA does flight changes on a Saturday)
jrc999 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
wait until tomorrow once the AA flight changes have filtered through the system (AA does flight changes on a Saturday)
Thanks for the quick reply - does that mean more routings/options should be available?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jrc999
Thanks for the quick reply - does that mean more routings/options should be available?
When AA makes drastic changes to their flights, one of the immediate casualties is the BA linked codeshares, and these are the ones that BA agents have few problems rebooking you into. The codeshares come back but it's a semi manual process and can take a few days. A bit depends on exactly what your ticket says in this area, it can be fairly complex to unravel what you can and can't do. But as a general rule you can leave it a week or two before reacting, AA may well have another go at this next weekend too and give the MAX situation there are even more than usual. Last week I had 3 flights on AA, booked in January, and not one of them was changed which was a bit of a shock!

Careful about Alaska services coming into the frame here, if it's a BA codeshare that's OK but not if it is AA coded. You don't need to use ITA matrix here, just cabin space, so you may do better hunting via BA.com using Multi city if necessary.
UKtravelbear likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Update: I called BA and the very nice agent rebooked me no question asked. Now I have the morning flight I wanted

Also, thank you for having moved the thread in this better one. I searched using google for something recent and related to my issue but I didn't find it.
Prospero likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:12 pm

AA schedule change on a BA ticket (booked via a travel agent)

I have just had notification through that my 4 hour layover at Chicago is now 7 hours due to AA changing my connecting flight. I know that AA are famed for schedule changes and as the flight isn’t until August am I best sitting tight - or do I have the right to ask to be changed to a later flight from London to Chicago so the layover isn’t too long. If AA then change the connecting flight again would I be able to change my London flight again or do I only get one bite of the cherry (or do I get no bites of the cherry as it is a travel agent ticket). Thank you for any advice.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:24 pm

This is regarding a BA ticket booked via a travel agent. I have just had notification through that my 4 hour layover at Chicago is now 7 hours due to AA changing my connecting flight. I know that AA are famed for schedule changes and as the flight isn’t until August am I best sitting tight - or do I have the right to ask to be changed to a later flight from London to Chicago so the layover isn’t too long. If AA then change the connecting flight again would I be able to change my London flight again or do I only get one bite of the cherry (or do I get no bites of the cherry as it is a travel agent ticket). Thank you for any advice.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Popinjay
This is regarding a BA ticket booked via a travel agent. I have just had notification through that my 4 hour layover at Chicago is now 7 hours due to AA changing my connecting flight. I know that AA are famed for schedule changes and as the flight isn’t until August am I best sitting tight - or do I have the right to ask to be changed to a later flight from London to Chicago so the layover isn’t too long. If AA then change the connecting flight again would I be able to change my London flight again or do I only get one bite of the cherry (or do I get no bites of the cherry as it is a travel agent ticket). Thank you for any advice.
I think there is some relevant advice upthread, you appear not to be the only one affected. Personally I'd leave it a day or two, but you can always call up and ask whether another plan you have is OK. If it isn't then call back after a few days. Best to have a clear idea as to what you want rather than asking than being non specific with the agent, since you're technically only allowed one rebooking per flight alteration.
Popinjay likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
When AA makes drastic changes to their flights, one of the immediate casualties is the BA linked codeshares, and these are the ones that BA agents have few problems rebooking you into. The codeshares come back but it's a semi manual process and can take a few days. A bit depends on exactly what your ticket says in this area, it can be fairly complex to unravel what you can and can't do. But as a general rule you can leave it a week or two before reacting, AA may well have another go at this next weekend too and give the MAX situation there are even more than usual. Last week I had 3 flights on AA, booked in January, and not one of them was changed which was a bit of a shock!

Careful about Alaska services coming into the frame here, if it's a BA codeshare that's OK but not if it is AA coded. You don't need to use ITA matrix here, just cabin space, so you may do better hunting via BA.com using Multi city if necessary.
Thanks- the SEA-LAX leg is American Eagle which I think is effectively AA. What do you mean by "AA may well have another go at this next weekend too"? That there may be further changes next week or that they will try and fix the schedule? It looks like there are no direct SEA-JFK flights which seems surprising to me

thanks
J
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Flying SJC-LHR-BUD in December (I booking code). Originally it was a ~5hr connection, but they now pushed back the LHR-BUD flight by an hour, making the connection 6+hrs. Unfortunately the earlier LHR-BUD flight is too early. Any chance I could beg ourselves on to a SFO-LHR-BUD itinerary, even though fro SFO-LHR there is only J availability (no I) that day (Dec 18)?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I have had both BA and AA changes for the autumn come through in the past few days.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:36 am

Have the bulk BA metal winter changes finished now or are there more to come?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.