Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Managing timetable changes | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
A few observations:
Firstly, it must be unbelievably frustrating when a call centre agent, and their supervisor, can't understand that a 7.45am departure would leave before an 8.45am arrival lands. At that stage I would hang up and call again. One question Scottish Minnie, are you certain they aren't proposing 7.45am the next day given discussion about moving flights, paying for overnight hotel, etc.

Assuming you have managed to find the only two employees that can't understand the 24 hour clock (invention attributed to the ancient Egyptians, so not as if it's brand new and these two haven't attended the training course yet), the situation should resolve with another call as outlined above by Often1.
However, apart from the overly dramatic (nightmare x2) language which is guaranteed to alienate some FT members (and presumably call centre staff unable to tell the time), I do have a degree of sympathy with the OP.

BA have cancelled the flight to EDI. After flying overnight, I wouldn't want to sit around at LGW for 10 hours because all I really want to do is get home, or collect my luggage and schlep over to LHR when I would only see my bags at EDI for the first time on the original itinerary.

OP has found a flight to GLA within 25 mins of the cancelled EDI flight so that is an acceptable change for both parties but creates another problem because outward flight and therefore car, is at EDI. Cue discussion about taxi, bus etc. between GLA and EDI, but as above, OP really just wants to get home. There is no outward flight from GLA to connect to the outbound FLL flight, so OP has suggested catching the last flight from GLA the night before (8.20pm) and paying for their own hotel.

That to me seems like a perfectly sensible option, solving the problem for the OP that they didn't create, but then we get caught up in date-change rules and discussions. It's these situations that BA should apply some latitude. The OP can get home, more or less at the same time, if they can fly to and from GLA. It's not a voluntary change, the need to change has been started by BA, and does it really hurt BA if the OP starts their journey in GLA and not EDI?
NuncEstBibendum and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But if BA is , not unreasonably imo, refusing to change the outbound , then is it that major a thing to work around. There is a coach service between the 2 airports or perhaps, rather than paying for over 2 weeks car parking, book a hire car to Edinburgh and a hire car from Glasgow and avoid the whole car-at-an-airport issue ; it may even be cheaper than parking costs
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Circa 90 minutes ago I received another email from BA confirming that they had made "agreed changes" to my flight. The flight had now been changed to a 20:55 departure from Heathrow. As I hadn't called today this could not have been prompted by me so presumably was an automated change.

Ive since been through to BA again and have after some discussion been allowed to change the flight to an 11:25 LGW to GLA. I will arrange transport from Glasgow. Initially my request for this flight was refused on the grounds that I could not depart and return from different airports however as I pointed out BA were perfectly happy to send me to LHR so that rule didn't hold water.

The irony is that when I booked the flights I tried to book GLA to LGW late in the evening of 26/12 with an overnight stop for the departure to FLL on 27/12 and back to GLA on the flight I am now booked on. I couldn't get it to go through online and called reservations. A very helpful and persistent agent tried her level best but was also thwarted as the system simply wouldn't allow it on one single booking. Had that been possible Edinburgh would never have been in the picture.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:56 am
Suspended

Well, nice to see you got a reasonable alternative in the end.

Why are you planning to park at EDI? Where are you actually originating your travel from scottish minnie? You show your home location as Glasgow. Are you planning to drive from Glasgow to EDI to catch your outgoing flight?

With this change, the answer would be to not drive to EDI at all from Glasgow to begin with and then have to get back to EDI from GLA on your return, but instead to leave the car at home and get to EDI by an alternative method (bus/train/taxi) to start your trip. That way, on your arrival back in Glasgow, you just need to go directly home which will be easier on you and the 5 hour jetlag you will be dealing with. Even a taxi would cost less than 2 weeks parking I suspect.
Cymro and Takiteasy like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:43 pm

Connection Times

Hi all! Looking for some advice please! I originally booked a flight through BA which left Aberdeen at 10.35am arriving in Heathrow at 12.15pm. I then have a connecting flight to Bangkok at 3.15pm and a further connection to Phuket after that.
BA have text me today saying my 10.35am flight is cancelled and I’m now on one leaving at 11.20am which won’t arrive in Heathrow until 1pm. This does still leave me with 2 hours 15 mins to connect but I’m slightly nervous as I believe there is only one flight to Bangkok per day so if we miss this we lose a day of our holiday. Do you guys reckon this will be enough time? I know if anything delays us in Aberdeen we might be in trouble. Only other option I can see is leaving Aberdeen at 6.25am. I’m assuming if I ask BA they will move us onto this flight? That option means a LOT of hanging around Heathrow.
When we land from Aberdeen am I right in thinking we only have a boarding pass check to go through? No security lines? It’s so hard to decide what to do for the best! Appreciate any advice given! Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:47 pm

Is it all on one booking?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lesleyann2707
When we land from Aberdeen am I right in thinking we only have a boarding pass check to go through? No security lines? It’s so hard to decide what to do for the best! Appreciate any advice given! Thanks in advance!
Yes, all you have on arrival at T5 is a brief scan of your boarding pass and you will be airside ready for departure, with no need for a security check. The minimum connection time at T5 is 1 hour, and in the case of domestic to international flights they could reduce it to 45 minutes or even less, if they wanted to. So to my mind, a 2 hour 15 minute connection is not just ample, personally I'd be muttering that it's rather on the long side! This is assuming it's on one reservation. If on two separate bookings then it has different risks.

So no need to worry with that connection, and it's certainly not worth getting up with the larks to be at ABZ at some unGodly hour. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome in particular to the BA forum lesleyann2707, it's good to see you here and I hope we will have more contributions from you in the future too.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
If the flights are all on one ticket then you're fine. Domestic flight does not require security check at LHR so just a boarding pass check and you are in departure. 2h15m is plenty to connect at LHR, I think the minimum connecting time is like 35 minutes or something.

If the flights are on different bookings/tickets then you might have an issue, as bags won't be checked through and you might struggle to get boarding passes for the connecting flights.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:54 pm

Yeah our three flights are all under one booking reference number so bags will be checked straight through to Phuket. Phew this sounds like we’ll be ok chancing the 2 hours 15 mins!! I really wasn’t looking forward to the early morning then a whole day travelling. Really appreciate how quick you guys responded!!! You’ve all been a great help! I can maybe sleep a little easier tonight...thanks a lot!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by lesleyann2707
Yeah all on one booking reference number through BA.
Then it's absolutely fine. As others have said 2hr 15min is plenty time to connect, even with a short delay.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT lesleyann2707 ^

This is a very easy connection when arriving on a domestic flight, you just need to have a quick boarding pass scan and it's up the escalator straight in to the airside departure area - there is no security scan. Tbh you could make it even if you arrive with less than an hour to go.

Lots of information on connecting at T5 connection guide here A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
Then it's absolutely fine. As others have said 2hr 15min is plenty time to connect, even with a short delay.
Brilliant!! Thanks a lot for the advice! I really appreciate it.

Thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum also!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
BA really getting worse [timetable changes]

I know it is a few months away but I've already had my flights from DFW to ABZ changed 3 times for January, one being an aircraft change. Today I have received an email saying my flight from LHR to ABZ has been cancelled again and they have booked us on a flight departing 40 minutes after the arrival from DFW. That is never going to fly. I think they've lost the plot. I tried checking for alternatives online, but the useless app won't allow it, and anyway the next flight means 6 hours in LHR. They seem to be cutting back big time, there used to be a flight from LHR about every 2 hours. Back on the phone tomorrow morning I guess......
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by anniegray
Back on the phone tomorrow morning I guess......
Or you could just leave it until schedule change season is over, seeing as you're not flying for many months yet.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, this sort of thing tends to happen in early July and mid January, and has done so for as long as I can remember. The only difference compared to a year ago is that BA now tell you about seating changes - which is invariably going to happen if there is an equipment change - and that is a relatively recent change. They could presumably remove that functionality and then it would indeed be like last year. The connection issue is also well known here, the computer has long put people on later flights (for obvious reasons it is trickier to presume people can travel on earlier flights), leading to a breach of MCT. Then a separate process, usually a few days later, then corrects the connection to meet at least MCT. Quite why it can't be done in one fell sweep (as AA normally manages to do, there again they have a lot more practice) isn't clear to me. Personally unless it's something like the Friday before Christmas I would leave it a few days to sort itself out.
anniegray likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.