FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Completely unable to use Avios [Potentially resolved] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1918570-completely-unable-use-avios-potentially-resolved.html)

DrCordell Jul 6, 18 3:54 pm

Completely unable to use Avios [Potentially resolved]

The BA.com web portal for booking reward flights using Avios is 100% unusable. Entering any combination of cities sends the status bar spinning for minutes, ultimately resulting in the message ERROR: There was a problem with your request, please try again later.

OK, I'll try your phone line instead. I've now sat on hold for over 35 minutes simply attempting to get a reservationist on the line. This is completely unacceptable. My Avios are functionally worthless if I'm unable to ever use them to actually book a flight. What can I do to get some recompense, because this completely absurd.

FlyerTalker39574 Jul 6, 18 4:08 pm

I'm able to use Avios.

Sealink Jul 6, 18 4:45 pm

Try a different browser?

UKtravelbear Jul 6, 18 5:06 pm

There are some known issues that BA say they are working on - see the website errors thread.

It would help if you said what route and cabin you were looking for.

if it was CW for example then select WT in the search and it will generally appear. Selecting CW appears to be the cause of the error.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 6, 18 5:07 pm

I am going to guess this is either a flight within the USA or a flight departing the USA to a destination also flown by AA, even though your requirements may or may not relate to AA.

There is an ongoing problem in this area, there are some workarounds, depending on the details, but easiest would indeed be to call up. The additional call volume to BA hasn't gone unnoticed.

lall Jul 6, 18 10:34 pm

Same problem for me.... unable to book reward flights on BA website
What's happening to BA?

enzian Jul 6, 18 11:54 pm

I booked a reward flight in Club Europe flight for two this morning, on my iPad. No problem at all.

Maybe it is your browser?

DrCordell Jul 6, 18 11:56 pm

I've tried on Chrome/Firefox and Edge. I happen to be looking to book LGA-ORD but have also put JFK-LHR and JFK-BCN in just for giggles and received the same error message. BA should be embarrassed.

Blueboys999 Jul 7, 18 12:10 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 29945872)
if it was CW for example then select WT in the search and it will generally appear. Selecting CW appears to be the cause of the error.

If the fault is so readily identifiable then that only increases my incredulity that this situation is taking such a ridiculously long time to be resolved.

Fly_By_Wire Jul 7, 18 12:15 am

Originally Posted by DrCordell (Post 29945677)
. What can I do to get some recompense, because this completely absurd.

Just lodge a complaint, they may throw some Avios your way as recompense..

HMPS Jul 7, 18 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999 (Post 29946645)

If the fault is so readily identifiable then that only increases my incredulity that this situation is taking such a ridiculously long time to be resolved.

Originally Posted by Fly_By_Wire (Post 29946656)

Just lodge a complaint, they may throw some Avios your way as recompense..

As they say " Prepare to be Amazed"!

mikeyfly Jul 7, 18 2:15 am

Avios search / book function far more reliable this morning. Two out of two searches worked ^

However, no availability where I wanted it :D

corporate-wage-slave Jul 7, 18 3:00 am

Originally Posted by DrCordell (Post 29946625)
I've tried on Chrome/Firefox and Edge. I happen to be looking to book LGA-ORD but have also put JFK-LHR and JFK-BCN in just for giggles and received the same error message. BA should be embarrassed.

OK, I've just tried all of the above and got some good options on the international services, but not on the domestic one. Now I'm going to assume you wish to travel on 15 October 2018.

LGA-ORD
This didn't go well, even though AA.com reports at least 12 options from LGA as well as JFK and Westchester. Every variation of LGA/JFK/NYC/HPN that I tried failed to come up with anything other than the error.

JFK-LHR
Second attempt: 13 options, 9 on BA, 4 on AA, all direct services, all with economy options, 6 with WTP/PE options, 4 with Club World (none for AA business).
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e9834c0675.png

JFK-BCN
First attempt, 12 options, including the direct AA flight, 4 Iberia options and 7 BA options, covering cabins from economy to business.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8b1e08b3e6.png

What appears to be happening, at least this is my hunch, is that the system is generally working, but it times out more often than it should - and heavy workload on BA.com increases the chance of that. If it is a purely AA domestic sector it is either not working at all or as good as not working at all. I'm using the system at 08:30 BST on a sunny Saturday morning, consequently BA.com is almost zipping along. The tactics remain valid: check on AA.com for MileSAAver awards, or Iberia, try BA a few times, then ring up. If it's MilesAAver valid then it really should work for BA staff to use, though there are occasional reports of contact centre staff seeing availability themselves but for some reason unable to book it. Expertflyer can also assist. And of course the BA forum here on Flyertalk does its best to help other community members, though it really helps if people can be totally specific as to precisely for what they are searching.

In summary, if it's purely AA domestic you are looking for, check on AA.com then call up until they get it fixed. Anything else - keep trying.

Tafflyer Jul 7, 18 5:33 am

It‘s been like this for months and it is frankly unacceptable. The error may be on the AA side but these airlines are in the same alliance and are partners in a joint business. Both have their IT outsourced to different partners and I suspect that this is at the root of the issue here. Still no excuse of course, except that I suspect that either the governance over these providers is seriously lacking or that the cheapness of the arrangements entered into exclude appropriate recourse.

I suspect the JFK-LHR search from CWS succeeded due to the number of available BA options. The same search on AA.com reveals even more options. The reverse search for LHR-JFK will reliably error-out the whole time.

falcon9xr Jul 7, 18 9:22 am

I've been looking for the past few days at the BA site trying to book using Avios for WAS/BWI/IAD-LHR or LAX-NRT. No dice.

I've been using the Qantas site to try to find availability. It has its quirks (like you can't push the back button), but it is functional. I suppose it also helps that I'm trying to find flights on OneWorld partners (well not for WAS-LHR).

I hope they fix it soon.

oruvin Jul 7, 18 2:54 pm

I'm trying to get NYC-CUN with avios, for last few months no luck on BA website.

eefor jfp Jul 7, 18 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by oruvin (Post 29948359)
I'm trying to get NYC-CUN with avios, for last few months no luck on BA website.

you'll probably need to call since this is on AA. find milesaver availability on the AA website and then call BA to see if they can see the flights. If its like it was a few weeks ago, better to use Skype to call the UK number than wait on hold forever on BA's US line.

DrCordell Jul 7, 18 5:42 pm

I've attempted to get through via phone and punted after 30+ minutes on hold every time. BA is so utterly shameless with their disregard for customers it boggles the mind.

oruvin Jul 7, 18 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp (Post 29948702)
you'll probably need to call since this is on AA. find milesaver availability on the AA website and then call BA to see if they can see the flights. If its like it was a few weeks ago, better to use Skype to call the UK number than wait on hold forever on BA's US line.

Was calling them several times, agent said he can't find availability, although on AA website it was showing plenty.

guv1976 Jul 7, 18 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by DrCordell (Post 29948763)
I've attempted to get through via phone and punted after 30+ minutes on hold every time. BA is so utterly shameless with their disregard for customers it boggles the mind.

Do you have an open and funded Iberia Plus account? If so, you might try looking for the same AA domestic flights there.

There are downsides to booking AA with Iberia Plus: only roundtrip redemptions are permitted, and no changes or cancellations are allowed. But on some AA domestic routes (not NYC-ORD-NYC), you'll pay fewer Avios than what BAEC would charge.

eefor jfp Jul 8, 18 2:39 am

Originally Posted by oruvin (Post 29948777)
Was calling them several times, agent said he can't find availability, although on AA website it was showing plenty.

I was told they can't do a search but if you give the agent the exact flight numbers and dates s/he should be able to see them. So, for example, AA2681 JFK-CUN on Sunday, January 13, 2019 (milesaaver award for 15,000 miles [economy class] shows as available on AA.com). Some agents are better than others at knowing how to use the system with its current glitches but if it's available as a milesaaver on aa.com, BA should be able to see it and book it.

mtkc12 Jul 8, 18 1:16 pm

Unable to use the BA website the past several days to book two one-way AA domestic US flights. I finally called today when I had bills to pay, etc. and could wait. Total wait time was < 30 minutes, agent could not have been friendlier or more helpful, and no additional fees charged (beyond the standard $5.60/ticket fee). Agent said there was no ETA on system being fixed (but they were trying) and wait time last night exceeded 2.5 hours.

While not optimal, I was very pleased with the level of service received once my call was answered. To be clear, the system being broken has to be a headache (and expensive) for BA.

drumbum Jul 8, 18 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by mtkc12 (Post 29951005)
Unable to use the BA website the past several days to book two one-way AA domestic US flights. I finally called today when I had bills to pay, etc. and could wait. Total wait time was < 30 minutes, agent could not have been friendlier or more helpful, and no additional fees charged (beyond the standard $5.60/ticket fee). Agent said there was no ETA on system being fixed (but they were trying) and wait time last night exceeded 2.5 hours.

While not optimal, I was very pleased with the level of service received once my call was answered. To be clear, the system being broken has to be a headache (and expensive) for BA.

2.5 hours is unacceptable, whether a paying customer, mileage redemption or ticketing inquiry.

Three days later, still am unable to view any domestic availability through the BA website. "There was a problem with your request, please try again later."

izzik Jul 9, 18 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 29949097)
Do you have an open and funded Iberia Plus account? If so, you might try looking for the same AA domestic flights there.

There are downsides to booking AA with Iberia Plus: only roundtrip redemptions are permitted, and no changes or cancellations are allowed. But on some AA domestic routes (not NYC-ORD-NYC), you'll pay fewer Avios than what BAEC would charge.

Another downside of redeeming with Iberia is that you won't have BA status benefits for seat selection.. unless you happen to also have Iberia status.
I don't think it's possible online to detach your Iberia Plus # and then attach BA number.

guv1976 Jul 9, 18 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 29954699)
Another downside of redeeming with Iberia is that you won't have BA status benefits for seat selection.. unless you happen to also have Iberia status.
I don't think it's possible online to detach your Iberia Plus # and then attach BA number.

It's not possible to replace an IB FFN with a BA (or AA) FFN using the "Manage My Booking" function at finnair.com?

izzik Jul 9, 18 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 29954710)
It's not possible to replace an IB FFN with a BA (or AA) FFN using the "Manage My Booking" function at finnair.com?

I don't think you can fully detach the IB FFN from an IB award. I've never had success doing so with any award (ie, detaching original FFN when redeeming that program's miles).

KARFA Jul 9, 18 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 29954710)

it looked possible using AY MMB when I tried the other day. Didnít actually click to do the change so canít confirm it.

izzik Jul 9, 18 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29954907)

it looked possible using AY MMB when I tried the other day. Didnít actually click to do the change so canít confirm it.

In my particular case, the finnair site shows the IB number on the main itinerary.. but when you go to change/update details, it shows the BA FFN.
When using rj.com, it shows both IB and BA FFNs.

missdimeaner Jul 9, 18 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by DrCordell (Post 29946625)

LGA-ORD is the exact routing that I have been searching for (also First availability to or from JFK-LHR) both searches are very frustrating, I know they have been working on it but this problem has been going on for weeks ( or maybe months) to say Iím disappointed would be an understatement

yanks10952 Jul 9, 18 2:50 pm

I am a lot of avios points and if they wanted to fix it they would. they are in no rush until summer travel is over im sure

ElmhurstNick Jul 9, 18 4:01 pm

Armed with the information in this thread, I called BA to book a routing for next week. The Avios redemption agent knew exactly what I was talking about and claimed it was an error on AA's part which they thought was fixed but had broken again. She looked up my flight (having the specific flight number helped tremendously) and booked it for me. The system connecting to AA kept on timing out on her, but she persevered and got it taken care of.

Given that i had a choice of 15k Avios + $5.60 for First, or 12.5k AA miles + $80.60 for Coach (due to being inside 21 days), I was willing to be patient and let her do her thing while I read FT.

Total time from start to finish was about 20 minutes, including putting in a new payment card and adding my TSA KTN.

falcon9xr Jul 9, 18 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick (Post 29955686)
Armed with the information in this thread, I called BA to book a routing for next week. The Avios redemption agent knew exactly what I was talking about and claimed it was an error on AA's part which they thought was fixed but had broken again. She looked up my flight (having the specific flight number helped tremendously) and booked it for me. The system connecting to AA kept on timing out on her, but she persevered and got it taken care of.

Given that i had a choice of 15k Avios + $5.60 for First, or 12.5k AA miles + $80.60 for Coach (due to being inside 21 days), I was willing to be patient and let her do her thing while I read FT.

Total time from start to finish was about 20 minutes, including putting in a new payment card and adding my TSA KTN.

I've experienced an issue with the site with JAL award searches as well. Not just AA. :-(

Governator Jul 9, 18 4:46 pm

I've been in the same boat as others, always failing on attempting US domestic bookings (that show open on AA.com). So I tried from "abroad". I VPN'ed to France, opened an anon browser (Edge in this case) and connected to the French language BA site https://www.britishairways.com/fr-fr/home#/. I did the exact same search I had been doing multiple times, this time it worked! I was able to pay and complete the booking. Afterwards, I disconnected VPN, went back to the regular BA and same old error. So, YMMV, but perhaps something else to try! Even with no French skills, anyone who's navigated the BA site more than a few times will have no problem, all the menus and buttons are in the same places. And there's always google translate.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 11, 18 8:09 am

Update 11 July 2018

AA redemptions continue not to be available (or near impossible to find) on BA.com - particularly on domestic / point to point routes. On non English language interfaces it produces a 502 Timeout error, in English it eventually comes back with "Error/There was a problem with your request, please try again later"

The previously reported problems with Cathay now appears to be resolved (@KARFA if you get a few minutes, can you confirm?) and I'm now able to see plenty on redemptions on routes such as MNL-HKG and separately HKG-TPE.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...lity-gone.html

KARFA Jul 11, 18 9:47 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29961877)
Update 11 July 2018
The previously reported problems with Cathay now appears to be resolved (@KARFA if you get a few minutes, can you confirm?) and I'm now able to see plenty on redemptions on routes such as MNL-HKG and separately HKG-TPE.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...lity-gone.html

Thanks. I have had a look at some routes. Some like HKG-PVG seem fine now with the kind of availability I would expect to see. Some are still a bit odd though, I am struggling to find any CX/KA seats for routes such as HKG-BKK beyond mid November. There seems to be weeks with nothing then one or two random day when there is plenty. Also there still seems to be a lot of married segment availability vs none for same flight with no connection. certainly more then I remember before. Maybe this is all just the new norm for CX/KA rewards now?

I'll keep having a look anyway.

oruvin Jul 11, 18 11:38 am

Today AA flights show on BA reward search... Domestic, and International, everything...
Hopefully they fixed issues, and it's not just a "lucky moment"!
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c75fe5b71b.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7fb30e7979.png

Tafflyer Jul 11, 18 11:57 am

Wow. Miracles never cease.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 11, 18 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by oruvin (Post 29962644)
Today AA flights show on BA reward search... Domestic, and International, everything...
Hopefully they fixed issues, and it's not just a "lucky moment"!

Thanks very much for this. I am also finding this problem now fixed! The specific search on LGA-ORD, mentioned upthread in post 13 now produces exactly the result I would expect, and indeed different to what I tried a few hours earlier today using an identical search criteria and method. The only thing out of place was that there is availability for Westchester County (probably better known as White Plains, near IBM's HQ) which comes up with a direct search on HPN, but not under NYC - though that may be a feature rather than a bug.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7c1f590836.png

[Bit of a strange coincidence this. At least I hope it's a coincidence....]

bcx Jul 11, 18 5:53 pm

Should I be able to see economy CX or JL flights from HKG to Tokyo on the Avios site? I can see them on Cathay site but not BA or AA.

On BA Iím able to see some premium economy but not regular economy.

Blueboys999 Jul 11, 18 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by bcx (Post 29963989)
Should I be able to see economy CX or JL flights from HKG to Tokyo on the Avios site? I can see them on Cathay site but not BA or AA.

On BA Iím able to see some premium economy but not regular economy.

I THINK you should be able to see them on BA but I don't think they have ever been visible on aa.com.