FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Completely unable to use Avios [Potentially resolved] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1918570-completely-unable-use-avios-potentially-resolved.html)

DrCordell Jul 6, 18 2:54 pm

Completely unable to use Avios [Potentially resolved]

The BA.com web portal for booking reward flights using Avios is 100% unusable. Entering any combination of cities sends the status bar spinning for minutes, ultimately resulting in the message ERROR: There was a problem with your request, please try again later.

OK, I'll try your phone line instead. I've now sat on hold for over 35 minutes simply attempting to get a reservationist on the line. This is completely unacceptable. My Avios are functionally worthless if I'm unable to ever use them to actually book a flight. What can I do to get some recompense, because this completely absurd.

FlyerTalker39574 Jul 6, 18 3:08 pm

I'm able to use Avios.

Sealink Jul 6, 18 3:45 pm

Try a different browser?

UKtravelbear Jul 6, 18 4:06 pm

There are some known issues that BA say they are working on - see the website errors thread.

It would help if you said what route and cabin you were looking for.

if it was CW for example then select WT in the search and it will generally appear. Selecting CW appears to be the cause of the error.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 6, 18 4:07 pm

I am going to guess this is either a flight within the USA or a flight departing the USA to a destination also flown by AA, even though your requirements may or may not relate to AA.

There is an ongoing problem in this area, there are some workarounds, depending on the details, but easiest would indeed be to call up. The additional call volume to BA hasn't gone unnoticed.

lall Jul 6, 18 9:34 pm

Same problem for me.... unable to book reward flights on BA website
What's happening to BA?

enzian Jul 6, 18 10:54 pm

I booked a reward flight in Club Europe flight for two this morning, on my iPad. No problem at all.

Maybe it is your browser?

DrCordell Jul 6, 18 10:56 pm

I've tried on Chrome/Firefox and Edge. I happen to be looking to book LGA-ORD but have also put JFK-LHR and JFK-BCN in just for giggles and received the same error message. BA should be embarrassed.

Blueboys999 Jul 6, 18 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 29945872)
if it was CW for example then select WT in the search and it will generally appear. Selecting CW appears to be the cause of the error.

If the fault is so readily identifiable then that only increases my incredulity that this situation is taking such a ridiculously long time to be resolved.

Fly_By_Wire Jul 6, 18 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by DrCordell (Post 29945677)
. What can I do to get some recompense, because this completely absurd.

Just lodge a complaint, they may throw some Avios your way as recompense..

HMPS Jul 6, 18 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Blueboys999 (Post 29946645)

If the fault is so readily identifiable then that only increases my incredulity that this situation is taking such a ridiculously long time to be resolved.

Originally Posted by Fly_By_Wire (Post 29946656)

Just lodge a complaint, they may throw some Avios your way as recompense..

As they say " Prepare to be Amazed"!

mikeyfly Jul 7, 18 1:15 am

Avios search / book function far more reliable this morning. Two out of two searches worked ^

However, no availability where I wanted it :D

corporate-wage-slave Jul 7, 18 2:00 am

Originally Posted by DrCordell (Post 29946625)
I've tried on Chrome/Firefox and Edge. I happen to be looking to book LGA-ORD but have also put JFK-LHR and JFK-BCN in just for giggles and received the same error message. BA should be embarrassed.

OK, I've just tried all of the above and got some good options on the international services, but not on the domestic one. Now I'm going to assume you wish to travel on 15 October 2018.

LGA-ORD
This didn't go well, even though AA.com reports at least 12 options from LGA as well as JFK and Westchester. Every variation of LGA/JFK/NYC/HPN that I tried failed to come up with anything other than the error.

JFK-LHR
Second attempt: 13 options, 9 on BA, 4 on AA, all direct services, all with economy options, 6 with WTP/PE options, 4 with Club World (none for AA business).
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e9834c0675.png

JFK-BCN
First attempt, 12 options, including the direct AA flight, 4 Iberia options and 7 BA options, covering cabins from economy to business.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8b1e08b3e6.png

What appears to be happening, at least this is my hunch, is that the system is generally working, but it times out more often than it should - and heavy workload on BA.com increases the chance of that. If it is a purely AA domestic sector it is either not working at all or as good as not working at all. I'm using the system at 08:30 BST on a sunny Saturday morning, consequently BA.com is almost zipping along. The tactics remain valid: check on AA.com for MileSAAver awards, or Iberia, try BA a few times, then ring up. If it's MilesAAver valid then it really should work for BA staff to use, though there are occasional reports of contact centre staff seeing availability themselves but for some reason unable to book it. Expertflyer can also assist. And of course the BA forum here on Flyertalk does its best to help other community members, though it really helps if people can be totally specific as to precisely for what they are searching.

In summary, if it's purely AA domestic you are looking for, check on AA.com then call up until they get it fixed. Anything else - keep trying.

Tafflyer Jul 7, 18 4:33 am

It‘s been like this for months and it is frankly unacceptable. The error may be on the AA side but these airlines are in the same alliance and are partners in a joint business. Both have their IT outsourced to different partners and I suspect that this is at the root of the issue here. Still no excuse of course, except that I suspect that either the governance over these providers is seriously lacking or that the cheapness of the arrangements entered into exclude appropriate recourse.

I suspect the JFK-LHR search from CWS succeeded due to the number of available BA options. The same search on AA.com reveals even more options. The reverse search for LHR-JFK will reliably error-out the whole time.

falcon9xr Jul 7, 18 8:22 am

I've been looking for the past few days at the BA site trying to book using Avios for WAS/BWI/IAD-LHR or LAX-NRT. No dice.

I've been using the Qantas site to try to find availability. It has its quirks (like you can't push the back button), but it is functional. I suppose it also helps that I'm trying to find flights on OneWorld partners (well not for WAS-LHR).

I hope they fix it soon.