Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Completely unable to use Avios [Potentially resolved]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Since early June 2018 the BA redemption search engine has not readily shown availability for Avios bookings if they involve either American Airlines or routes where AA operate. That includes particularly domestic USA services. 11 July 2018: Now appears to be resolved for AA.
A separate problem with Cathay Pacific point to point services now appears resolved, there are reports that availability isn't as good as expected, however what is there is bookable online.
For Qantas, the availability is online but fulls over with an error after selecting the flights and before payment details are shown. Can be resolved by the Contact Centre, see post 54 below.
Print Wikipost

Completely unable to use Avios [Potentially resolved]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Armed with the information in this thread, I called BA to book a routing for next week. The Avios redemption agent knew exactly what I was talking about and claimed it was an error on AA's part which they thought was fixed but had broken again. She looked up my flight (having the specific flight number helped tremendously) and booked it for me. The system connecting to AA kept on timing out on her, but she persevered and got it taken care of.

Given that i had a choice of 15k Avios + $5.60 for First, or 12.5k AA miles + $80.60 for Coach (due to being inside 21 days), I was willing to be patient and let her do her thing while I read FT.

Total time from start to finish was about 20 minutes, including putting in a new payment card and adding my TSA KTN.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Armed with the information in this thread, I called BA to book a routing for next week. The Avios redemption agent knew exactly what I was talking about and claimed it was an error on AA's part which they thought was fixed but had broken again. She looked up my flight (having the specific flight number helped tremendously) and booked it for me. The system connecting to AA kept on timing out on her, but she persevered and got it taken care of.

Given that i had a choice of 15k Avios + $5.60 for First, or 12.5k AA miles + $80.60 for Coach (due to being inside 21 days), I was willing to be patient and let her do her thing while I read FT.

Total time from start to finish was about 20 minutes, including putting in a new payment card and adding my TSA KTN.
I've experienced an issue with the site with JAL award searches as well. Not just AA. :-(

Last edited by falcon9xr; Jul 9, 2018 at 3:27 pm Reason: emphasis on referenced portion of quote
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
I've been in the same boat as others, always failing on attempting US domestic bookings (that show open on AA.com). So I tried from "abroad". I VPN'ed to France, opened an anon browser (Edge in this case) and connected to the French language BA site https://www.britishairways.com/fr-fr/home#/. I did the exact same search I had been doing multiple times, this time it worked! I was able to pay and complete the booking. Afterwards, I disconnected VPN, went back to the regular BA and same old error. So, YMMV, but perhaps something else to try! Even with no French skills, anyone who's navigated the BA site more than a few times will have no problem, all the menus and buttons are in the same places. And there's always google translate.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Update 11 July 2018

AA redemptions continue not to be available (or near impossible to find) on BA.com - particularly on domestic / point to point routes. On non English language interfaces it produces a 502 Timeout error, in English it eventually comes back with "Error/There was a problem with your request, please try again later"

The previously reported problems with Cathay now appears to be resolved (@KARFA if you get a few minutes, can you confirm?) and I'm now able to see plenty on redemptions on routes such as MNL-HKG and separately HKG-TPE.
Where has all the CX Avios availability gone?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Update 11 July 2018
The previously reported problems with Cathay now appears to be resolved (@KARFA if you get a few minutes, can you confirm?) and I'm now able to see plenty on redemptions on routes such as MNL-HKG and separately HKG-TPE.
Where has all the CX Avios availability gone?
Thanks. I have had a look at some routes. Some like HKG-PVG seem fine now with the kind of availability I would expect to see. Some are still a bit odd though, I am struggling to find any CX/KA seats for routes such as HKG-BKK beyond mid November. There seems to be weeks with nothing then one or two random day when there is plenty. Also there still seems to be a lot of married segment availability vs none for same flight with no connection. certainly more then I remember before. Maybe this is all just the new norm for CX/KA rewards now?

I'll keep having a look anyway.
mrvincent likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:38 am

Today AA flights show on BA reward search... Domestic, and International, everything...
Hopefully they fixed issues, and it's not just a "lucky moment"!

Last edited by oruvin; Jul 11, 2018 at 10:55 am
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Wow. Miracles never cease.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by oruvin
Today AA flights show on BA reward search... Domestic, and International, everything...
Hopefully they fixed issues, and it's not just a "lucky moment"!
Thanks very much for this. I am also finding this problem now fixed! The specific search on LGA-ORD, mentioned upthread in post 13 now produces exactly the result I would expect, and indeed different to what I tried a few hours earlier today using an identical search criteria and method. The only thing out of place was that there is availability for Westchester County (probably better known as White Plains, near IBM's HQ) which comes up with a direct search on HPN, but not under NYC - though that may be a feature rather than a bug.

[Bit of a strange coincidence this. At least I hope it's a coincidence....]
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:53 pm
bcx

Should I be able to see economy CX or JL flights from HKG to Tokyo on the Avios site? I can see them on Cathay site but not BA or AA.

On BA I’m able to see some premium economy but not regular economy.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by bcx
Should I be able to see economy CX or JL flights from HKG to Tokyo on the Avios site? I can see them on Cathay site but not BA or AA.

On BA I’m able to see some premium economy but not regular economy.
I THINK you should be able to see them on BA but I don't think they have ever been visible on aa.com.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by bcx
I can see both JAL and CX redemptions. This was just using NRT, if I use TYO then some better options for HND also show up, Connections via TPE are coming up, so typically CX in Economy HKG-TPE, JAL for TPE-TYO, and this is sometimes the only option due to the fact that this is huge cash cow for both JAL and Cathay. This also explains why sometimes Business is better in the middle distance time window than Economy.

Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm seeing very little on CX in December (like KARFA said) - even on some of the main regional routes that generally have good availability.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by mrvincent
I'm seeing very little on CX in December (like KARFA said) - even on some of the main regional routes that generally have good availability.
I think there is a distinction that needs to be considered between "very little" and "none at all", since the latter could be IT issues (fixable by ringing up short term, waiting for a bug fix for online searches), the former is likely to be simply supply and demand at the Cathay end (not easily fixable).

As it happens, if I look at HKG-TPE on 12 December I see 16 flights and something like 200 Avios seats going covering all 3 cabins; For MNL I see availability in October, but tapering out to zero in November.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think there is a distinction that needs to be considered between "very little" and "none at all", since the latter could be IT issues (fixable by ringing up short term, waiting for a bug fix for online searches), the former is likely to be simply supply and demand at the Cathay end (not easily fixable).

As it happens, if I look at HKG-TPE on 12 December I see 16 flights and something like 200 Avios seats going covering all 3 cabins; For MNL I see availability in October, but tapering out to zero in November.
I see zero CX availability HKG-SIN between 17th Nov - 16th Dec. But one day earlier on 16th Nov there are tonnes of seats in Y, 10 in W and 30 in J over multiple flights. Just seems strange that there's a cliff edge.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Azure
Yep same for the Philippines. Do you think it's worth ringing up for a flight in early December?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.