Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Completely unable to use Avios [Potentially resolved]

Completely unable to use Avios [Potentially resolved]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 13, 18, 12:36 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Since early June 2018 the BA redemption search engine has not readily shown availability for Avios bookings if they involve either American Airlines or routes where AA operate. That includes particularly domestic USA services. 11 July 2018: Now appears to be resolved for AA.
A separate problem with Cathay Pacific point to point services now appears resolved, there are reports that availability isn't as good as expected, however what is there is bookable online.
For Qantas, the availability is online but fulls over with an error after selecting the flights and before payment details are shown. Can be resolved by the Contact Centre, see post 54 below.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 7, 18, 1:54 pm

I'm trying to get NYC-CUN with avios, for last few months no luck on BA website.
Old Jul 7, 18, 4:15 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Originally Posted by oruvin View Post
I'm trying to get NYC-CUN with avios, for last few months no luck on BA website.
you'll probably need to call since this is on AA. find milesaver availability on the AA website and then call BA to see if they can see the flights. If its like it was a few weeks ago, better to use Skype to call the UK number than wait on hold forever on BA's US line.
Old Jul 7, 18, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, SPG Plat100
I've attempted to get through via phone and punted after 30+ minutes on hold every time. BA is so utterly shameless with their disregard for customers it boggles the mind.
Old Jul 7, 18, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp View Post
you'll probably need to call since this is on AA. find milesaver availability on the AA website and then call BA to see if they can see the flights. If its like it was a few weeks ago, better to use Skype to call the UK number than wait on hold forever on BA's US line.
Was calling them several times, agent said he can't find availability, although on AA website it was showing plenty.
Old Jul 7, 18, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DrCordell View Post
I've attempted to get through via phone and punted after 30+ minutes on hold every time. BA is so utterly shameless with their disregard for customers it boggles the mind.
Do you have an open and funded Iberia Plus account? If so, you might try looking for the same AA domestic flights there.

There are downsides to booking AA with Iberia Plus: only roundtrip redemptions are permitted, and no changes or cancellations are allowed. But on some AA domestic routes (not NYC-ORD-NYC), you'll pay fewer Avios than what BAEC would charge.
Old Jul 8, 18, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Originally Posted by oruvin View Post
Was calling them several times, agent said he can't find availability, although on AA website it was showing plenty.
I was told they can't do a search but if you give the agent the exact flight numbers and dates s/he should be able to see them. So, for example, AA2681 JFK-CUN on Sunday, January 13, 2019 (milesaaver award for 15,000 miles [economy class] shows as available on AA.com). Some agents are better than others at knowing how to use the system with its current glitches but if it's available as a milesaaver on aa.com, BA should be able to see it and book it.
Old Jul 8, 18, 12:16 pm

Unable to use the BA website the past several days to book two one-way AA domestic US flights. I finally called today when I had bills to pay, etc. and could wait. Total wait time was < 30 minutes, agent could not have been friendlier or more helpful, and no additional fees charged (beyond the standard $5.60/ticket fee). Agent said there was no ETA on system being fixed (but they were trying) and wait time last night exceeded 2.5 hours.

While not optimal, I was very pleased with the level of service received once my call was answered. To be clear, the system being broken has to be a headache (and expensive) for BA.
Old Jul 8, 18, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by mtkc12 View Post
Unable to use the BA website the past several days to book two one-way AA domestic US flights. I finally called today when I had bills to pay, etc. and could wait. Total wait time was < 30 minutes, agent could not have been friendlier or more helpful, and no additional fees charged (beyond the standard $5.60/ticket fee). Agent said there was no ETA on system being fixed (but they were trying) and wait time last night exceeded 2.5 hours.

While not optimal, I was very pleased with the level of service received once my call was answered. To be clear, the system being broken has to be a headache (and expensive) for BA.
2.5 hours is unacceptable, whether a paying customer, mileage redemption or ticketing inquiry.

Three days later, still am unable to view any domestic availability through the BA website. "There was a problem with your request, please try again later."
Old Jul 9, 18, 11:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Do you have an open and funded Iberia Plus account? If so, you might try looking for the same AA domestic flights there.

There are downsides to booking AA with Iberia Plus: only roundtrip redemptions are permitted, and no changes or cancellations are allowed. But on some AA domestic routes (not NYC-ORD-NYC), you'll pay fewer Avios than what BAEC would charge.
Another downside of redeeming with Iberia is that you won't have BA status benefits for seat selection.. unless you happen to also have Iberia status.
I don't think it's possible online to detach your Iberia Plus # and then attach BA number.
Old Jul 9, 18, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by izzik View Post
Another downside of redeeming with Iberia is that you won't have BA status benefits for seat selection.. unless you happen to also have Iberia status.
I don't think it's possible online to detach your Iberia Plus # and then attach BA number.
It's not possible to replace an IB FFN with a BA (or AA) FFN using the "Manage My Booking" function at finnair.com?
Old Jul 9, 18, 12:01 pm

It's not possible to replace an IB FFN with a BA (or AA) FFN using the "Manage My Booking" function at finnair.com?
I don't think you can fully detach the IB FFN from an IB award. I've never had success doing so with any award (ie, detaching original FFN when redeeming that program's miles).
Old Jul 9, 18, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
it looked possible using AY MMB when I tried the other day. Didnít actually click to do the change so canít confirm it.
Old Jul 9, 18, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

it looked possible using AY MMB when I tried the other day. Didnít actually click to do the change so canít confirm it.
In my particular case, the finnair site shows the IB number on the main itinerary.. but when you go to change/update details, it shows the BA FFN.
When using rj.com, it shows both IB and BA FFNs.
Old Jul 9, 18, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by DrCordell View Post
I've tried on Chrome/Firefox and Edge. I happen to be looking to book LGA-ORD but have also put JFK-LHR and JFK-BCN in just for giggles and received the same error message. BA should be embarrassed.
LGA-ORD is the exact routing that I have been searching for (also First availability to or from JFK-LHR) both searches are very frustrating, I know they have been working on it but this problem has been going on for weeks ( or maybe months) to say Iím disappointed would be an understatement
Old Jul 9, 18, 1:50 pm

I am a lot of avios points and if they wanted to fix it they would. they are in no rush until summer travel is over im sure

Search this Thread
Search Engine: