Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another late-night T5 meltdown

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Icylocal is correct. BA have had a "go" at both NATS and CAA for some time now. I can't remember when it started - about 2001?
Some beancounter had a bee in their bonnet, and a bonus was at stake............
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by simons1

Indeed that is a positive. With the ongoing crisis in the South East my local station is totally plastered with 'delay repay' posters. You really would struggle to miss them. Hard to see BA doing that.
Something to do with the fact that the rail operators are required to do it by their regulator? I can't imagine it's by choice or out of consideration for passengers.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by nd100
Something to do with the fact that the rail operators are required to do it by their regulator? I can't imagine it's by choice or out of consideration for passengers.
Well EC261 requires that "an operating air carrier denying boarding or cancelling a flight shall provide each passenger affected with a written notice setting out the rules for compensation and assistance in line with this Regulation. It shall also provide each passenger affected by a delay of at least two hours with an equivalent notice. The contact details of the national designated body referred to in Article 16 shall also be given to the passenger in written form".

I wonder what the OP was given? Or maybe BA thinks it is above all that?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Misco60
I had such an experience a couple of days ago, at LCY.

The aircraft arrived late, due to a late departure from TXL, and then boarding was delayed very significantly because (according to the gate agents) of problems in deplaning a disabled passenger after the requested assistance failed to materialise. By the time we had boarded we had long missed our slot, had a 45-minute wait for a new one and eventually departed 90 minutes late.

The captain made four announcements - two on the ground and two en route - and in every case made a point of blaming the delay on "air traffic restrictions". It was almost as if he had been instructed to say that to discourage potential EC261 claims.
EC261 wouldn't have been claimable anyway regardless though, and the slot delay would have been the final thing that occurred and probably most on the pilot's mind rather than the delay caused by LCY in disembarking a disabled passenger, in that they would have been less delayed if there was no slot delay. I don't think I can blame the captain for making that PA (besides it's rather frustrating to get a slot delay).
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:55 pm

Knowing full how well how quixotic it is, I'd like to debunk the misconception, which I'm reading in this thread, that BA is trying to give all its delays, or most of the delays, to ATC.

I cannot show actual numbers for obvious reasons, but - having just checked the data for the period 1/1/18 to 6/7/18 - I'd like to say that the % of delays attributed to ATC (category ZZ) is minimal. If you were to compare it to some parties' results in the last general election, I'd say it's below the Lib Dem but above the SNP's % of total votes.

This is my own view and not my employer's.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
The IRIS system was , I think, fully automated. It was a shame it didn’t continue , as the technology was very good.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:52 pm
1P
Original Poster

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 13900
Knowing full how well how quixotic it is, I'd like to debunk the misconception, which I'm reading in this thread, that BA is trying to give all its delays, or most of the delays, to ATC.

I cannot show actual numbers for obvious reasons, but - having just checked the data for the period 1/1/18 to 6/7/18 - I'd like to say that the % of delays attributed to ATC (category ZZ) is minimal. If you were to compare it to some parties' results in the last general election, I'd say it's below the Lib Dem but above the SNP's % of total votes.

We're not talking about what the figures may or may not show, we're talking about what BA personnel claim as the reason on far too many occasions.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:55 pm
1P
Original Poster

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Well EC261 requires that "an operating air carrier denying boarding or cancelling a flight shall provide each passenger affected with a written notice setting out the rules for compensation and assistance in line with this Regulation. It shall also provide each passenger affected by a delay of at least two hours with an equivalent notice. The contact details of the national designated body referred to in Article 16 shall also be given to the passenger in written form".

I wonder what the OP was given? Or maybe BA thinks it is above all that?
Nothing at all is what the OP was given, nor any of the other pax on the 767. BA is keen to portray its own operational failings as due to ATC or weather issues, because that enables it to wriggle out of its responsibility to run a decent airline.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by 13900

Could it be that they are saying one thing to passengers and recording something else in their systems?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Markie
Could it be that they are saying one thing to passengers and recording something else in their systems?
If so, could there be a good reason for it?

For instance, wanting to protect cabin crew members from possible nasty attitude from passengers when the delay is the "airline's fault".

I have seen some seriously horrible attitudes towards them when the delay was the "airline's fault".
Markie likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by 1P
Nothing at all is what the OP was given, nor any of the other pax on the 767. BA is keen to portray its own operational failings as due to ATC or weather issues, because that enables it to wriggle out of its responsibility to run a decent airline.
Well it sounds like the failure to comply with the law is something to draw to CAA attention then.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If so, could there be a good reason for it?

For instance, wanting to protect cabin crew members from possible nasty attitude from passengers when the delay is the "airline's fault".

I have seen some seriously horrible attitudes towards them when the delay was the "airline's fault".
In my experience people respond better to a bit of honesty and it gets worse when it becomes clear who is telling the truth.

I chuckled when reading this article about how BA lied about an ATC delay when it was actually their supplier who had failed to deliver a special meal....caught out by an off duty member of ATC.

Inside the Heathrow Airport control tower in a picture exclusive | Daily Mail Online
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

In my experience people respond better to a bit of honesty and it gets worse when it becomes clear who is telling the truth.

Absolutely. While people might get annoyed by delays, I think the nastiness referred to comes about when delays are badly handled, unexplained or explained with guile.

However...
.....they were waiting for a gluten-free meal to arrive for somebody, but the cabin services director said they didn’t like to admit that because that embarrasses the person waiting for the gluten-free meal
Is I think, reasonable motivation for a white lie.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:10 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Just out of interest what is the the general consensus amongst our legal eagles of allowing UK citizens to pass without “let or hindrance” when entering the UK, because forcing citizens to queue for over one hour seems to severely breach this request. Could it be bordering on unlawful detention.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

However...
.....they were waiting for a gluten-free meal to arrive for somebody, but the cabin services director said they didn’t like to admit that because that embarrasses the person waiting for the gluten-free meal
Is I think, reasonable motivation for a white lie.
Surely they could have said they were waiting for some extra meals or even some missing special meals - and therefore avoid singling out the person who needed the specific meal, but also be honest about the source of the delay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.