Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Receiving my bronze baec welcome pack has given me the hunger to reach silver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Receiving my bronze baec welcome pack has given me the hunger to reach silver

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I do a lot of flying each year in ET, earning 5TPs on most of those sectors. For me, maintaining silver is quite important because I do value lounge access, easier boarding and seat allocation, for example. It also gives me an enhanced rate in accumulating avios which is important if I want to get the most from my AmEx 2for1s. Maintaining silver can be a challenge and, so far, I haven't had to resort to TP runs. I personally think the OP should go for it.
memesweeper likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andyh1877
i want silver worked hard for bronze for little benefit
so getting silver is the worth while reward
Is it? how much is it going to cost to get a shiny card and will you get enough value out of it to make it worth the purchase cost and time wasted getting it?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Done same search today and price for edi - mla has doubled I give up lol
The Palma option gets you 160 tier points for Ł425 flying 20/7-23/7 and would give you 3 nights somewhere nice at that time of year - is this not worth it and then try to pick up another 35 points as part of regular travel?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by RobDBA
The Palma option gets you 160 tier points for Ł425 flying 20/7-23/7 and would give you 3 nights somewhere nice at that time of year - is this not worth it and then try to pick up another 35 points as part of regular travel?
Sounds rather nice to me!
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:06 am

Note you can reduce to Ł225 if you have a spare 38,000 avios as well... Or check out BA Holiday to include a hotel/car.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways | Executive Club silver
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
If you need to stick to those specific five days, and want a (relatively) low hassle, low risk option you could try nested pairs from Scotland to London and back between 20 and 24 July.

Book EDI/GLA-LON out on the morning of the 20th, back on the afternoon/evening of the 24th as one ticket - Ł225ish, 80TP in CE.
Book LON-EDI/GLA out on the afternoon/evening of the 20th and back on the morning of the 24th as one ticket - Ł225ish, 80TP in CE.

With just those two bookings, you'd get 160TP for around Ł450 (not great, not bad), no hotels needed. You could do a same-day return on the 22nd (EDI-LGW) in CE for another Ł225ish (80TP). That would be 240 TP for Ł675 with no hotels, and the 21st and 23rd off!

Or you could repeat the 20th/24th exercise on 21 and 23 July, but you'd only need CE for one of the pairs (Ł225ish, 80TP). You could do ET HBO for the other (Ł80ish, 10TP). That would be 250 TP for around Ł750, no hotels, and you can take the 22nd off!
tried that 1st part fine got it at Ł215 Edo - lcy
2nd part having probs Ł350+ and can't get lcy into it
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:55 am

Why are you looking at LCY in particular? The CE seat isn't as good and no lounge at City...

You can do Gatwick nested bookings using the above trick on 22nd and 24th
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:59 am

Why are you looking at LCY in particular? The CE seat isn't as good and no lounge at City...

You can do Gatwick back to backs using the above trick out 22 back 24 with time to see a bit of London on the 22nd and back lunch time on the 24th for Ł450...
2nd part for 20/24 would be LCY-GLA (not EDI) for around Ł250. Or 22/24 July as RobDBA details above.

Plenty of options EDI-GLA/LON.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:07 am

Some CE nested pairs options:
EDI-LCY and LCY-GLA (20 & 24 July): Ł450, 160TP
EDI-LGW and LGW-EDI (22 & 24 July): Ł450, 160 TP
EDI-LGW and LGW-EDI (23 & 24 July): Ł450, 160 TP
EDI-LGW and LGW-EDI (21 & 24 July): Ł500, 160 TP

Some CE same-day options:
EDI-LGW-EDI (22 July): Ł225, 80TP
EDI-LGW-EDI (23 July): Ł225, 80TP
EDI-LGW-EDI (24 July): Ł225, 80TP
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by flyer200
If OP want's top spend his money like this then he should be allowed to.
He's perfectly free to do so if he wishes. Indeed, it's perfectly possible that the OP's normal flying patterns mean that getting to Silver would be very good value for money because he'd get a lot out of the benefits.

But part of giving good advice is warning about possible misconceptions, and about a possible waste of time, effort and money. The post that describes Silver as a "reward" rings alarm bells. But only the OP can work out for themselves whether that's a false alarm.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
You don't even have to nest a separate ticket, could even fly an EDI-GLA as one. I don't know if your location is such that getting home from GLA later at night would be an issue, but you could do e.g. this, for 160TP:

(I admit the short connection time at LCY surprised me, seems they will support as little as 30 minutes). But as newyorklondon says, you have lots of options if you do nest one within the other, and I'd give consideration to JP Flyer's PMI suggestion to for that real TP running feel

Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
He's perfectly free to do so if he wishes. Indeed, it's perfectly possible that the OP's normal flying patterns mean that getting to Silver would be very good value for money because he'd get a lot out of the benefits.

But part of giving good advice is warning about possible misconceptions, and about a possible waste of time, effort and money. The post that describes Silver as a "reward" rings alarm bells. But only the OP can work out for themselves whether that's a false alarm.
This is a good point: in a nutshell, OP, do think whether spending Ł750-900 this month is worth it to guarantee Silver ASAP and utilize its benefits for the rest of the year and next.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The varous ‘caution bells’ are conveying sensible advice, rather than perhaps criticising the OP. And ONLY the OP can determine, sensibly and calmly, how beneficial Silver will be. If it is ... go for it.

It’s often an emotive subject here, and Status Addiction can be seen as an incurable disease! We decided going to HNL to get our first Gold was ‘sensible’ ... as it was a holiday. But it’s all about personal circumstances as to where the ‘benefits’ fall. I occasionally challenge myself about Gold renewal, but end up doing it anyway. Because we can
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways | Executive Club silver
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
You don't even have to nest a separate ticket, could even fly an EDI-GLA as one. I don't know if your location is such that getting home from GLA later at night would be an issue, but you could do e.g. this, for 160TP:

(I admit the short connection time at LCY surprised me, seems they will support as little as 30 minutes). But as newyorklondon says, you have lots of options if you do nest one within the other, and I'd give consideration to JP Flyer's PMI suggestion to for that real TP running feel

nice idea but not realistic to get home from glasgow 60+ mile after 10.30pm , i am around 25 mile from edinburgh airport so tend to use it
the nest option works and with a few avios can get it below 400
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:51 am

If you want, before you hit the buy button, let us know your plans in case there are any red flags. Others more experienced on the EDI/LON back-to-back routes might know a few others tricks or issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.