Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any issues with an avios booking for 17 year old?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond

I'm planning on using some avios in an attempt to untangle a mess my little cousin has made on some flights booking. She's 17 and needs to get from JFK-TLV.

Are there any issues I need to be aware of as she's 17 and travelling solo. Currently travelling and can't call into BA to find out, was just planning on booking an online award redemption. Looking at booking it as a straight through connecting at LHR

Secondly, one of the flights I'm looking at only has a 1 hour layover at LHR. Is that enough for an inexperienced traveller to make at T5? I'll need to give her instructions, but have never transferred at T5 myself!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Moderator alerted! OP's question is about BA and Avios, not Hertz!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Ooops! Please move! Not sure how that happened!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aceman
I'm planning on using some avios in an attempt to untangle a mess my little cousin has made on some flights booking. She's 17 and needs to get from JFK-TLV.

Are there any issues I need to be aware of as she's 17 and travelling solo. Currently travelling and can't call into BA to find out, was just planning on booking an online award redemption. Looking at booking it as a straight through connecting at LHR

Secondly, one of the flights I'm looking at only has a 1 hour layover at LHR. Is that enough for an inexperienced traveller to make at T5? I'll need to give her instructions, but have never transferred at T5 myself!
​​​​​​Have you checked one-way cash fares at Google flights? Given the high cash surcharges on BA flights, you are likely to get very poor value for your Avios -- especially if this is for Coach Class travel.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Moved to BA

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
You say there's a "mess." I'd be a little more concerned about solving that mess - if it means flying alternative legs, you're at risk of seeing the entire ticket cancelled for not flying it in order.

A 1h connection is perfectly possible, but it will always be tight at LHR, particularly for people without an EU/UK passport. If the flight is on time it's fine, but any delays will quickly eat any contingency. I would be happy to take it myself, but only on the understanding that I could afford to delay my arrival by up to 24h and that there was no more comfortable alternative. Given that TLV generally has two flights per day, the risk should be manageable as long as it is all on one ticket as she shouldn't need to find hotel accommodation, etc.

If you can get her onto BA112 rather than BA174, the extra 30-40 minutes will make a big difference in reducing the risk of a misconnect, even though the jet stream means that ontime performance of the overnight flights is generally good.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There's no intrinsic problem with booking a 17 year old using Avios.

If your cousin does have the 1 hour connection, try to have her look for a connection in the B gates instead of the A gates. I.e. on arrival at LHR she should look at which gate her next flight is leaving from. She will mostly likely arrive at a B or C gate, and leave from a B or C gate, so if that is so and she goes to terminal B and then to flight connections inside terminal B it will be much faster. Gates for relevant departing flights are displayed in each arriving terminal area, near the point where you either go down to the train or to flight connections in that terminal.

It will not be necessary to show a passport in transit at LHR from the USA to Isreal.

She may well get a hard time from Israeli security, but that will happen however you get her ticket.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, there is no sorting out the current mess, we're ways past that point, in her infinite wisdom her mother bought her a one way from tlv-lhr and then the two of them a lhr-jfk-lhr ticket to ensure they were on the same flight home, intending to discard the last leg, and then realising that getting to TLV on a one way wasn't cheap...

I'm just mainly wondering if there will be issues a 17 year old checking in by herself at JFK for a flight.

Getting her into the earlier flight is an excellent idea, I'll double check to see if I can make that happen
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the replies, there is no sorting out the current mess, we're ways past that point, in her infinite wisdom her mother bought her a one way from tlv-lhr and then the two of them a lhr-jfk-lhr ticket to ensure they were on the same flight home, intending to discard the last leg, and then realising that getting to TLV on a one way wasn't cheap...

I'm just mainly wondering if there will be issues a 17 year old checking in by herself at JFK for a flight.

Getting her into the earlier flight is an excellent idea, I'll double check to see if I can make that happen
How much would it cost to change the LHR-JFK-LHR to LHR-JFK-TLV? At least that way you'd be on one ticket. Separate tickets and a one-hour connection would be more risk than I could handle, especially as there is zero chance that any luggage will be travelling with her.

Otherwise, if Mum is in London, can she stay for a day to get her bearings and, if Avios doesn't work, look at an EasyJet flight or something like that?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A 17-year old travelling alone is really not anything unusual. I doubt any officials along the way will bat an eyelid.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:16 pm

The answer to that question is no, there won't be any issues.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
14 year-olds can fly entirely unaccompanied on BA with no need for handoff from/to adults at either end of the journey. Even if such a 14 year-old might cause eyebrows to be raised (which I doubt - it certainly didn't back when I was doing it as a 12 year-old), I doubt that anyone would even notice that a near-adult was doing so.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:19 am

Flew BA solo many times as a 17 year old. My favourite airline back then are I never once got asked for ID when ordering alcohol. That's going back a while now, I wonder how much it's changed.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

So all done and booked, I'm now going to email them a step by step guide to getting from her JFK to catching her TLV flight.

I was just looking at the connecting at T5 guide

Airside Route
Proceed to the T5A FCC. You go through the INT connections channels in the FCC which are towards the right hand side, with the fast track channel on the far right. You will have a boarding pass check by a BA member of staff and also a visa check if necessary, and then head up to security in order to go airside. There is a marked fast track escalator to the right which leads to north security, and a path to the left for non-fast track passengers which leads to south security.
What does FCC stand for?

Secondly, is there any way for me to see which part of T5 her flight leaves from, she's arriving on BA112 and departing on BA165 to TLV, I'd quite like to have her directions relatively down pat. First time travelling alone (and a bit dopey) etc etc
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
FCC = Flight Connections Centre

sorry can’t help with the gate info. As previously advised above she needs to check the screens through the terminal.

there are also staff in the FCC who will direct her where to go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.