Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

NRT-LHR (01 Jan 19) cancelled - 2 Avios in F: options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum

Bit of help required for a friend - she and her other half are flying back from Christmas in Japan and BA have today cancelled the 01 Jan 19 flight back from Tokyo Narita. They had booked into F, using Avios & a 2-for-1.

At the moment they have been reaccomodated onto the flight on Wed 02 Jan, which doesn't work for them as they will lose a whole days leave.

What options this far out, noting that they are not on cash tickets?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is a BA flight back from HND to LHR that day with F. Would this be ok for them?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Bit of help required for a friend - she and her other half are flying back from Christmas in Japan and BA have today cancelled the 01 Jan 19 flight back from Tokyo Narita. They had booked into F, using Avios & a 2-for-1.

At the moment they have been reaccomodated onto the flight on Wed 02 Jan, which doesn't work for them as they will lose a whole days leave.

What options this far out, noting that they are not on cash tickets?

Option to fly from HND instead?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
KARFA is too quick I might aswell leave the replying to the prefects!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
There is a BA flight back from HND to LHR that day with F. Would this be ok for them?
Assuming it has F, I would guess so.

I assume BA aren't so clever as to simply switch from NRT to HND on the same day, and instead are just pushing out a day at NRT? Assuming that they aren't offering a seat on the BA option on that day, I assume it is fair game to ask for a seat on the JAL codeshare?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Yes, it does - and it even still has space: F4 A3 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S8 N0 Q0 O9 G0

I imagine that KARFA, like me, had checked this before posting the suggestion! (Only I didn't once I'd seen that he'd already posted it.)
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
I was going to start a thread on this so I may as well add my story here, which unfortunately is far more complicated that OP's.

I'm booked on JL774 (MEL-NRT) on 01/01/19 connecting to BA6 (NRT-LHR) on same PNR using avios in J and F respectively. I have a separate Avios booking with QF for CHC-MEL arriving into MEL at 16:25 on 31st, ahead of the JL774 departure at 00:45 on 1st. BA has rebooked me on BA6 on 2nd, but I can't afford an extra 24 hours in Tokyo as I need to be back in the office on 2nd.

The simplest option is taking JL43 on 1st but that gives a 2:55 hour transfer between NRT and HND, which I understand is below MCT (could I risk it and ask to be re-routed on CX if misconnect on the day?). It would be tight but I think a MEL-SYD-HND re-route on QF would allow me to catch JL43 but I'd be looking at a 1:10 hr domestic to international transfer at SYD and my margin for the unprotected transfer in MEL is reduced to 2.5 hours (risky but QF will through check I think).

The only reasonable option I can see in this situation is a complete reroute on CX, MH or QF. Is BA likely to see it in a similar way? Or can anyone think of any other solutions which might be easier to pass through BA? I don't care how I get back as long as I can land at LHR by 06:00 on 2nd, don't have NRT-HND transfers ideally (awkward luggage), add too much risk to my MEL connection and not have significantly reduced time in F.

Hope the above makes sense and isn't asking for too much!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite

Assuming that they aren't offering a seat on the BA option on that day, I assume it is fair game to ask for a seat on the JAL codeshare?
That is unlikely to be accepted this far out (and when there is a BA flight the following day or from HND)
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by s1362083
The simplest option is taking JL43 on 1st but that gives a 2:55 hour transfer between NRT and HND, which I understand is below MCT (could I risk it and ask to be re-routed on CX if misconnect on the day?).
If it's below MCT, I suspect that you'll never get it onto the same ticket.

Would you be prepared to try to re-route through SYD? You might take QF25 SYD-HND on 31 December, arriving HND at 0500 on 1 January, which should get you onto either BA8 or JL43.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by SK AAR
That is unlikely to be accepted this far out (and when there is a BA flight the following day or from HND)
Worth asking given (I think) that there is a Joint Business Agreement between JAL and BA on this route and BA code share on the JAL flights? BA4603 (code share of JL43) from HND also seems to be the closest flight time wise to the cancelled BA6. Being pushed from a 1235 to 0945 departure on New Year’s Day seems particularly annoying for the OP.

Probably worth saying that if the OP’s friends have accepted the re-route to the following day’s flight they may find it difficult to persue one of these other options.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If it's below MCT, I suspect that you'll never get it onto the same ticket.

Would you be prepared to try to re-route through SYD? You might take QF25 SYD-HND on 31 December, arriving HND at 0500 on 1 January, which should get you onto either BA8 or JL43.
Yes that's what I was referring to in my post, but it means taking QF462 from MEL which gives me only gives me 2h35 to make my connection at MEL on separate PNR. I suppose that's a mess of my own making to some degree. There is no award availability on 31st from CHC to MEL or SYD on QF or NZ and one way revenue fares are high so changing that to make that connection better is tricky too.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I imagine that KARFA, like me, had checked this before posting the suggestion! (Only I didn't once I'd seen that he'd already posted it.)
I did

Initially I hadn’t and I was just going to put it as a suggestion with a question mark - I didn’t know whether the HND flight may have been cancelled that day too. However, I thought I had better spend a minute checking before posting.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by s1362083
Yes that's what I was referring to in my post, but it means taking QF462 from MEL which gives me only gives me 2h35 to make my connection at MEL on separate PNR. I suppose that's a mess of my own making to some degree. There is no award availability on 31st from CHC to MEL or SYD on QF or NZ and one way revenue fares are high so changing that to make that connection better is tricky too.
This is what I'm referring to
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

I did

Initially I hadn’t and I was just going to put it as a suggestion with a question mark - I didn’t know whether the HND flight may have been cancelled that day too. However, I thought I had better spend a minute checking before posting.
As ever KARFA, your wise counsel is always welcome. Many thanks. I will recommend the HND option to them, might as well suggest asking for the JAL flight (timing wise) before the BA option.

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Worth asking given (I think) that there is a Joint Business Agreement between JAL and BA on this route and BA code share on the JAL flights? BA4603 (code share of JL43) from HND also seems to be the closest flight time wise to the cancelled BA6. Being pushed from a 1235 to 0945 departure on New Year’s Day seems particularly annoying for the OP.

Probably worth saying that if the OP’s friends have accepted the re-route to the following day’s flight they may find it difficult to persue one of these other options.
No - I told them to hold off accepting anything for the moment. The 'auto' rescheduling has put them on the NRT departure on the 2nd, which I told them to leave alone - as far as I am aware the 'auto' rescheduling that BA doesn't affect your right to one acceptable re-route of your choosing.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
As ever KARFA, your wise counsel is always welcome. Many thanks. I will recommend the HND option to them, might as well suggest asking for the JAL flight (timing wise) before the BA option.

No - I told them to hold off accepting anything for the moment. The 'auto' rescheduling has put them on the NRT departure on the 2nd, which I told them to leave alone - as far as I am aware the 'auto' rescheduling that BA doesn't affect your right to one acceptable re-route of your choosing.
That’s my understanding too.

Edit: please report back - as from a selfish perspective, I have a redemption on NRT-LHR next year; and will be useful to know my own options in case of a cancellation or schedule change.

Last edited by lcylocal; Jul 3, 2018 at 11:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.