Mophie Battery pack

Old Jul 3, 18, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Mophie Battery pack

I have a Mophie Powerstation XXL which I have taken on a BA flight last year when I flew back from LAX.

I have read that recently some people flying BA from IST have had these confiscated from them when

I was just wondering if this is a policy just for flights from this airport or a wider BA policy across all flights? Donít want to take mine when I fly if itís gonna be taken off me
Old Jul 3, 18, 7:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
IST - and several other places in that region - have local restrictions, and only for the inbound flight to London direction:
BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban

On other routes I don't think there will be a problem.
Old Jul 3, 18, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
IST - and several other places in that region - have local restrictions, and only for the inbound flight to London direction:
BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban

On other routes I don't think there will be a problem.
Thatís what I was thinking, just didnít want to have spent £90 on this to have it taken off me. Thanks 😀
Old Jul 3, 18, 11:55 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I think you're OK. Just.

BA state that Lithium based batteries up to 100Wh are permitted. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...d-restrictions

The PowerStation looks like a 20,000mAh battery.
USB runs at 5V

20Ah x 5V = 100Wh
Old Jul 3, 18, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Usually these work using up conversion from the nominal 3.6v Lion battery so the 20,000Mah relates to native cell capacity

20Ahr x 3.6v = 72W
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 18, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKTony View Post
Usually these work using up conversion from the nominal 3.6v Lion battery so the 20,000Mah relates to native cell capacity

20Ahr x 3.6v = 72W
Originally Posted by CloudGazer View Post
I think you're OK. Just.

BA state that Lithium based batteries up to 100Wh are permitted. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...d-restrictions

The PowerStation looks like a 20,000mAh battery.
USB runs at 5V

20Ah x 5V = 100Wh
Just had a closer look at the back of my power bank, itís got 76.0 wh so looks like it should be fine. 😀😀👌🏻
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 18, 10:36 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I lost all my portable batteries at IST, even after checking that I could take them with Turkish before flying. The ground handlers that check you in are independent contractors that have a list of rules that they follow to the letter, they couldn't care less what the airline has told you.
Old Jul 4, 18, 1:56 am

Whatís a Wh? When I did physics it was a Watt, named after Mr Watt who invented it. And abbreviated to W.
Old Jul 4, 18, 2:01 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
What’s a Wh? When I did physics it was a Watt, named after Mr Watt who invented it. And abbreviated to W.

A watt hour - the amount of electricity used when your thingummy's power consumption is 1 watt and you use it for an hour. Much easier to get a feel for consumption than the SI joule.

Edit aside: all SI units are in lower case, irrespective of the capitalisation of its symbol - so 1W = "one watt"; similarly its correct to write "one newton", "one kelvin" etc.

Search this Thread