Wiki Posts
Search

Rant - trays at security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
Rant - trays at security

Ok - so its not the biggest issue in the world today I know,but just feel a strong need to vent. Its been a crazy month of June with multiple flights leaving T5 and in each case, at the First Class Wing security lanes, I cannot believe how inconsiderate, arrogant and lazy some if our more frequent flyers are. There were 6 empty trays backed up, people dropping theirs into the adjacent one, holding up a line of people - I’m at a loss. To make it worse, my not very scientific straw poll shows my middle aged male brethren as the major culprits.. the attitude of ‘ someone else will sort it’ or ‘ this is beneath me, I’m too important’ just reeks.

OK - rant over - deep breaths, deep breaths ... and relax
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze
It’s the same at ‘normal priority’ security! I often think I should get paid by the tray the amount of stacking I’ve done !
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
To be fair, unlike the other security channels at T5, the TFW doesn't have the signs saying please place your tray in the pile at the end. However, I would agree with you and I usually move empty ones that are there simply from a selfish point of view because the sooner they are out of the way the sooner my stuff will come down.

Common sense would of course prompt people to do that rather than standing there waiting for trays to come when there is no space for them to go to, however eligibility to TFW is not based on common sense sadly
Gerbs, TheBigRat, Often1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:37 am

This type of behaviour is très inconsidéré
TheBigRat likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Seems pretty common practice everywhere I've been!! The OH and I are assiduous stackers, both of our own and others' trays.

As KARFA says, lack of common sense is the key factor.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'm not sure that frequent flyers are more at fault than anyone else - it just seems to come from a lack of consideration and awareness, and when I'm not in priority security it's worse if anything.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
I find the same in every security lane at T5, priority or not.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
I really do think Security need to employ some sergeant majors to bark orders at these slow dithery people who know they are going through security. Who still don't prepare themselves until they are right at the tray/conveyor belt and asking 'do I need to take off my belt/jacket. Oh do you need me to take out my phone/ipad/laptop and just generally make the process and queues even longer.

Yes the lazy 'cant be bothered to pick my tray up at the end and put it back in the pile' peeves me off too. Edinburgh has invested in a really good security system with lots of booths to take your tray to so you can get your stuff all gathered. Then they leave the tray blocking the space for someone else.

Yes - just a lack of awareness and respect for anyone else but themselves!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Cymro
I'm not sure that frequent flyers are more at fault than anyone else - it just seems to come from a lack of consideration and awareness, and when I'm not in priority security it's worse if anything.

I agree but I also get the point that perhaps frequent flyers should be likely to know better,
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
If you think T5 is bad, may I suggest never flying out of BHX, especially early morning. To be fair, they do have the Sergeant Major types offering 'advice' to the once-a-year flyers, but some of them are beyond help!
frank_poulankh likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:10 am

My record at T5 is clearing 17 trays while waiting for my stuff. Often, once I start clearing others get the hint and do their own, but a surprising number just stand back and do nothing.

I remember this coming up before and someone throwing a DYKWIA-worthy response along the lines that if they were paying for a premium ticket, they didn't expect to have to clear up for themselves.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:14 am

I can't remember where, but I've seen trays which each have a sticker affixed to the inside base with something to the effect of PLEASE STACK ME written on it. Alas, I can't remember if it made any difference or not.

Occasionally, I've experienced some regional US airports where the TSA staff firmly enforce a stand-with-your-tray until it goes into the machine and stack your tray when emptied policy.
LTN Phobia and Oxnardjan like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:23 am

It seems like if you're a FT member, you will stack your own and others' tray. Maybe HAL should put up signs saying sign up to FT and that would potentially solve the tray stacking issue.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I can't remember where, but I've seen trays which each have a sticker affixed to the inside base with something to the effect of PLEASE STACK ME written on it. Alas, I can't remember if it made any difference or not.

Occasionally, I've experienced some regional US airports where the TSA staff firmly enforce a stand-with-your-tray until it goes into the machine and stack your tray when emptied policy.
That's greatly discriminatory against people who cannot hold a heavy weight in their hands for long (perhaps they use a backpack, for example), and isn't good for those of us with many things that security people are interested in, resulting in many trays to try to avoid secondary search (liquids bag, bag of things that look like liquids but are not, empty water bottle, laptop, tablet, laptop accessories, power bank, keys, wallets with coins, shoes (in USA), etc).
Grog likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I see a lot of people in the First Wing stacking their own trays and a lot of people who just walk away.

Actually although it's nice that travellers do their own tray stacking, I do think it's a role that should be taken by Heathrow Airport staff, for all security lanes, priority or not. It's a part of the service, just like having plates cleared away in GF.
Grog, squeeler and HarbourGent like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.