Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant - trays at security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
The OP will be proud of me this evening. Normally I am a tray stacker, but I have been known to sin sometimes

This evening I ensured that I took both trays into the middle packing area, then slid both of them into the tray remover in the middle of that area. Every little helps.
T8191 and Tafflyer like this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:01 pm

If every airport in the western world used the same approach, we'd soon learn the rules. But they don't, so you really can't be surprised if many of us haven't a clue what the official policy at T5 is.
When you've got to the other side of security, 99% of us are concentrating on - have I retrieved my iPad - where is my belt - and that gets 99.9% of my attention.
Anyone designing a process that is specific to one airport (and different from many others) that then requires me to cart a tray somewhere rather than get on my way to the lounge has designed a dumb process.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chongcao
there are clear signs at T5 non GF queues that PLEASE put the empty trays into the end of the belt. HAL did not employee anyone to do the job for you. By doing your own job it actually speed up the security check process by keeping trays flowing back to the unpacking area. The trays are not heavy, the secret is to use your own two hands grabbing the tray from the longer end in the middle. Alternatively sliding the trays to the end of the belt and gently push from the far end and it will somehow raise itself and fly into the slot. The second method is rude but it takes less effort than the weight of an iPad.
I am not employed by Heathrow Airport - I do not have a job there ( or any airport )

If the airport cannot afford to employ enough staff to handle the running of its security checkpoints, perhaps it could invest in equipment that means that people do not need to take laptops , liquids etc out of the bags and can simply screen the bags as is - then there would be no need to worry about the trays since there would be a lot less trays used
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
1) Each airport (I was going to write each country) has its own processes and procedures. Shoes on/off, belts on/off, laptops in/out, liquids in/out, trays stacked/not stacked. It's all but impossible for a normal traveller to remember the specifics in each airport.
2) The whole system seems to be designed for people with more than 2 hands. If I had extra hands I might manage to carry my carry-on and trays to an area where I can re-pack in peace.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am not employed by Heathrow Airport - I do not have a job there ( or any airport )

If the airport cannot afford to employ enough staff to handle the running of its security checkpoints, perhaps it could invest in equipment that means that people do not need to take laptops , liquids etc out of the bags and can simply screen the bags as is - then there would be no need to worry about the trays since there would be a lot less trays used
Kind of like AMS does? I was surprised coming out of there last week and they told me to leave everything in my backpack - laptop, ipad, phones, headphones, liquids, whatever. Everyone did have to go through the nudey scanner though.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
there are clear signs at T5 non GF queues that PLEASE put the empty trays into the end of the belt. .
'Please' suggests its a request

HAL did not employee anyone to do the job for you.

Yeah but I think they should

By doing your own job it actually speed up the security check process by keeping trays flowing back to the unpacking area.

My Job? Its not my job. I don't go to an airport, and pay to use their facilities and services, and then end up doing a job / working.
Also, speeding up security is not my job.

Neither is loading my luggage in the hold, tagging my own luggage, moving the jetty, driving the tug etc.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
Kind of like AMS does? I was surprised coming out of there last week and they told me to leave everything in my backpack - laptop, ipad, phones, headphones, liquids, whatever. Everyone did have to go through the nudey scanner though.
There are a fair number of airports where there is no need to remove things, but just put the bag onto the conveyor. Only where there are odd loose items that need to go through are trays used at all - I guess that AMS has the decent scanners that can scan without removal given that it works in that manner
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, CR
May I suggest a competition of how many trays you can stack? I did 7 this morning (admittedly 4 were for a lovely family where I offered to help as their hands we full).

Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:14 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Heathrow's equipment CAN see through to laptops already. You must have forgotten the fact that in spite of installing machines that can, after a few months DOT told them that laptops had to be out anyway. The liquids rule is a worldwide requirement. That is hardly HAL's fault.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
These are our captains of industry, but they can’t solve a problem right under their nose....
[/left]
I dare say not a lot are. Many are probably just slogging their way without a huge amount of brain power.

Either that, or based on the behaviour of a lot of people at airports, ther is something in the walk-through metal detector that disable brain cells.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:24 am

Is the liquids thing a worldwide rule? I have been through several airports where I didn't have to take them out of my bag.

And as for the trays I don't really care if it is/should be someone else's job. I don't want to spend longer in security than I have to. I'd love to say that my propensity to clear other people's trays is some kind of altruistic act, but it's entirely driven by self-interest. Anytime I see something that easy to do and helps me out (without disadvantaging others) then I'm all over it.

I think being lazy is one of my better attributes. It keeps me constantly looking for better/quicker/easier ways of doing things. I recommend it.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:29 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Anywhere going from or to the UK will definitely have it, and I haven't been to an international airport that doesn't require it. It is definitely a EU wide regulation, so while it is in place liquids will remain having to be put in a 1litre bag and separated at Heathrow and HAL aren't allowed to change this. I tend to keep mine in my coat to minimise the need to open the rollaboard.

I remember the unnecessary stick the HAL security staff were getting after the brief period of time that they didn't require laptops/tablets out when DOT required their removal at security. Some of it was unnecessarily rude and threatening. So much so I offered myself as a witness so that one guy would be prevented from travelling. Strangely he wasn't, management wouldn't stand up for the worker in the face of a violent threat. This was in the era where security staff were frequently called goons on here.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Heathrow's equipment CAN see through to laptops already. You must have forgotten the fact that in spite of installing machines that can, after a few months DOT told them that laptops had to be out anyway. The liquids rule is a worldwide requirement. That is hardly HAL's fault.
DOT does not have anything to say about travel that is not to the USA - There is a large amount of the world that is not the United States of America

Limits on liquids is a general requirement ( but not worldwide - ever taken domestic flights in Australia? ) but having to remove from bags is not a requirement

There are plenty of airports that do not require that laptops be removed amd do not require the bags of liquids to be removed

It is Heathrow Airport's role to manage its security checkpoint, not its paying customers
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Is the liquids thing a worldwide rule? I have been through several airports where I didn't have to take them out of my bag.
The actual liquids restriction is reasonably common worldwide, although not universal and some of the exceptions are harder to understand than others. (For example, there is no security screening at all on domestic NZ flights operated by small turboprops; and the liquids restriction applies to international flights from Australia and in a particularly stringent form to international flights to Australia, but there is no liquids restriction on domestic flights within Australia.)

Having to take liquids or tablets or even laptops out of your main cabin bag and having them screened separately is subject to much wider variations. My impression is that if you leave everything in, it makes for a "busier" picture so that the screener has to work harder to make sense of what they see. Things are more likely to be missed which ought to be looked at in greater detail by manual inspection, and bags are more likely to be pulled for time-consuming manual inspection because the machine picture leaves too many question marks. In contrast, if you take some of the "difficult" stuff out, then it's easier to clear the bag and its contents just from the machine picture - so everything works faster, consumes fewer resources, and causes fewer delays. Like most things in life, this is not binary: it's not a case of "either the machine can see through a laptop or it can't see through a laptop".

For the same reason, some of us have found that if there are other bags inside the main cabin bag which are likely to cause confusion or questions, it makes life simpler to pull them out of the main bag as well even though there isn't a specific requirement to do so. For example, a bag with two electric toothbrushes plus lots of coiled cables and adapters usually makes it through without manual inspection when it's pulled out. But sometimes when I don't, the bag goes to manual screening, often triggering a good-natured exchange about the "busyness" of my bag. (As always, if you're nice to the screeners instead of patently treating them as idiotic minions/scum/goons, you often get a surprisingly pleasant interaction with them.)

This all seems like common sense to me, but it does appear to pass other people by - particularly those who think it's mortally offensive to suggest that they should be security-screened at all, and who consider that a manual inspection of their bags amounts to grounds for starting thermonuclear war.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:36 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I see a lot of people in the First Wing stacking their own trays and a lot of people who just walk away.

Actually although it's nice that travellers do their own tray stacking, I do think it's a role that should be taken by Heathrow Airport staff, for all security lanes, priority or not. It's a part of the service, just like having plates cleared away in GF.
Thank you! we all typically pay £25 in airport charges, and £150 in air passengers duty (the highest in the world) to participate in a security ritual carried out by the least helpful, friendly or service orientated airport employees that I typically see standing round or moving at a pace a fraction faster than the minimum required...

and your typical person has the same logic of stack your tray so McDonalds doesn’t have to hire an employee to do so or return your trolley when Tesco were kind enough to provide it and sell twice you twice as much.

It continues to baffle me that British people fail to recognize that it’s yet another terrible service they pay through the nose for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.