Pros and Cons of UUA on A380 J-F

Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Pros and Cons of UUA on A380 J-F

In September am booked in J on the A380 LHR-ORD in 53k.

At the moment there isn't any availabilty but I am checking daily should it come up As I see it the pros and cons are as follows but would welcome advice.

PROS

Opportunity to have First First, at present the overriding balance tipper for me.
The avios cost is only 18k so only the equivalent of 4 RFS trips EDI - LON
Off the plane quickly as am meeting a friend at ORD. - Although from being in 53k before this may be a negligible difference.
Av Geek Bucket list tick.
Improved Food and Beverage options.
Trip gets me 21k avios so see it as an avios neutral trip.
Flight is in the daytime so can best enjoy the LPGS

CONS

With the CW improvements is there much difference between the products now?
Already in 53k so will have a window seat with direct aisles access.
Connecting from INV so time in CCR limited - If on time 105 minute connection time.
There may be a better use for my avios ie a W-J upgrade.
Flight is in the day time so I usually try to stay awake.

Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
I'd do it in a heartbeat but each to there own.... The service alone would/should be worth it, let alone the comfort and food etc
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:52 am

Not my first F but I flew Lhr jnb a few days ago in a380 F nothing special, great crew but slow service with mediocre food

but I would still choose F over J on BA if using avios as the service in j would be a lot slower and more privacy and a smaller cabin are useful...
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
There seems to be a big difference between J and F on the A380, although I have only flown F and not J. I have seen both J cabins and thought they looked somewhat cramped (which explains why I've not flown it), so I've lumped all those 7/8 across configurations together (unless it's on an aircraft with a mini-cabin).

I wouldn't hesitate to spend 18K Avios in this way.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'd go for F - seat has a lot more space and service is slightly better. From my experience service in J on A380 is particularly slow...
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Cw novice

CONS

1. With the CW improvements is there much difference between the products now?
2. Already in 53k so will have a window seat with direct aisles access.
3. Connecting from INV so time in CCR limited - If on time 105 minute connection time.
4. There may be a better use for my avios ie a W-J upgrade.
5. Flight is in the day time so I usually try to stay awake.

1. First is still quieter, quicker service, nicer seat, bigger IFE, more private, food is better, etc
2. See above
3. Although the lounge is nicer, I wouldn't be too bothered about that, there'll be another chance to do it
4. The avios you collect from the flight will get you halfway to an off-peak W-J upgrade
5. Staying awake means you can enjoy the service etc

As far as cons go I wouldn't pay much attention to those ones, I certainly wouldn't hold your breath for F availability to open up if it isn't already there though, the chances of getting it are very slim!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by All She Wrote
1. First is still quieter, quicker service, nicer seat, bigger IFE, more private, food is better, etc
2. See above
3. Although the lounge is nicer, I wouldn't be too bothered about that, there'll be another chance to do it
4. The avios you collect from the flight will get you halfway to an off-peak W-J upgrade
5. Staying awake means you can enjoy the service etc

As far as cons go I wouldn't pay much attention to those ones, I certainly wouldn't hold your breath for F availability to open up if it isn't already there though, the chances of getting it are very slim!
Although not holding my breath for availability I have noticed that a lot has recently appeared for August LHR-ORD so there may be a slim chance.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Unless avios-poor, I would always upgrade to F on a daytime flight or a long overnight, maybe not on a red-eye from the US east coast. The extra space (especially on an A380, which has the largest F suite in the fleet) and quieter cabin aside, I personally prefer dine on demand, which is not possible in CW. On LHR-ORD, I would do this in a heartbeat for 18K avios. Only caveat from me is that I am also yet to fly CW in BA's A380, only been in F to date. I've experienced plenty of CW in other aircraft and also had walks through CW on the A380, haven't seen anything that would change my mind.

Increasingly I find myself booking F when flying BA metal long haul, partly to avoid CW and partly because ex-UK, the A class fares can provide a semi-flex ticket at what in some cases has been not much more than an inflexible I-class in CW. The extra TPs and avios are a bonus (though slightly OT as the OP is asking about UuA)
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
In my experience CW upper deck window seats on A380 are pretty good in comparison with 777 (never flown 747 / 787 CW). A380 First is the best version with wider seats than other versions. For a very large price difference it's probably not worth the upgrade but for a small avios cost I'd definitely take it - better catering, better booze, better seat, a lot more privacy, possibly better irrops handling... 😎
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Another vote to go for it. Pretty much zero avios (based on you earning 21k) to have your first First in what everyone says is the best First on BA.

Good luck with getting availability.

T
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Hmmmm - I had been intending on doing a comparison thread based on my next HKG trip in a couple of weeks - 53K out, 3A back.

But now I am wondering if I should splash a few Avios on the outbound....

Is it always that modest an amount for J-F? It's fairly mechanistic pricing right? I seem to recall there's a thread somewhere so I may go take a look...
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
For 18k Avios I would do it immediately. I've had two F experiences (one op up, the other Avios up) and they've both been superb and noticeably more enjoyable than J. Note "enjoyable" not necessarily more comfortable or better sleep or more convenient but more enjoyable.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
For 18k Avios I would do it immediately. I've had two F experiences (one op up, the other Avios up) and they've both been superb and noticeably more enjoyable than J. Note "enjoyable" not necessarily more comfortable or better sleep or more convenient but more enjoyable.
I think I've said this before as well but I am more likely to 'indulge' in F than J nowadays so yeah, maybe less restful.

My flight has no redemption availability for my outbound date, so while I could in theory do this (the website certainly let me click through from MMB even though it's a corporate TA booking) when it came to actually letting me upgrade it said no. BAredemptionfinder.com seems to confirm the story.

There are seats however, so I also understand that I could force the redemption using my Gold status? Is that right? Don't think I'll necessarily do that mind, as having secured 53K (to me 53AK are the best J seats on the A380) I may want to spend that bullet another time. Just curious to know if I have understood it correctly.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I personally wouldn't upgrade to First, and since no-one else has really put the case down yet, I will present some of these arguments. Now I get CCR access, plus I get a fair amount of operational upgrades anyway (around a quarter of services with a First cabin) so to some extent I don't want to shift BA's flag on me as a primarily CW traveller. Plus I'm teetotal. So I'm aware this isn't typical.

Nevertheless I would stick with CW on an A380 since it's a particularly pleasant ride, even more so if in row 53 or 59. 18k Avios to me is worth 360 or more for travel within Europe and I would benefit more from that than the increment for the First cabin. I'm entirely happy with the CW seat, I sleep very well in it. I don't need aisle access that frequently so that issue doesn't bother me, and in terms of what I would be doing - eating, sleeping, reading, working, I can do all of that just as well in CW as First. First sometimes (not always) has people trying understandably trying to make the most out of their flight, and that can be distracting, or worse. The food and bedding is now as good if not better than First, indeed the portion sizes and timings are to my mind better in CW than First. Another factor is that on the shorter 380/787 services I've been known to go straight to the office from the flight and do a few hours work, and the subdued lighting in First tends to make me too soporific to be much use in that context. I'm also somewhat put out by the rather large and over-dominant screen in First, the 86J Panasonic screen is about right sized for me.

Originally Posted by Pascoe
There are seats however, so I also understand that I could force the redemption using my Gold status? Is that right?
You can use a Gold Priority Reward subject to the usual conditions, but that is for a full redemption, not UuA or some other stackable option. Otherwise you need to see First redemption space, not First revenue space.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:35 am

Good detail there - thanks as always CWS

As it needs First redemption space, I think I am staying where I am anyway. So I'll stick with my original plan and happily do the compare and contrast.

Not worried about CCR on way out. And your points about working on the flight (which I am WAAAAY more likely to do outbound than on return) are extremely well made. And with side bin window seat with aisle access thrown in, and on the new CW service, I am really interested to see how this stacks up.

I think if for some reason I did get the magic beep, I might actually consider turning it down on this occasion as at gate time I assume it would be for an inside seat not a window. Might be a deal breaker. But I don't see it happening anyway.

The one counterpoint to your arguments that I would add however, is that I have seen a fair few instances of people excitedly 'making the most' of their J travel too. Seems to be somewhat destination dependant (DXB and to a lesser extent LAX a bit notorious from what I can see). HKG seems to be less of a destination for that sort of thing. Not seen it on JFK routings.

I guess the difference is it's slightly harder for the CC to rein it in in F than in J

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.