Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Choosing seats in Business Class--Does it really cost me that much?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing seats in Business Class--Does it really cost me that much?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:55 am

you know i was worried this might spread to other airlines when it initially started (and a few others do charge more for their better business seats, swiss i think) but i realize that the only reason this works on BA is because they have really crappy and then somewhat decent business seats. most other airlines dont have that drastic discrepancy between business seats. now what would be nice is if they just charged you to select the good seats and allowed you to choose between the other ones for free..
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Of course, to be fair, there is a distinction to be drawn between Solo pax and those with Families or Spouse. In the latter cases, seat selection becomes more significant, and not just a case of “I like that seat, I want it for free”.

A complex subject, but easily distilled into “Get Status with BA, otherwise get to the back of the queue ... or pay to jump it!”
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Bronze. MLife Gold, Cunard Diamond, Total Rewards Diamond.
Some of us are flying for leisure and booked our seats 3 month ago in Business class, and would love to pay for a nice seat with direct isle access, But find these seats are blocked for those passengers flying with babies. Now is that fair ? A nice club world seat, tucked away in the corner, direct isle access and yet l cannot reserve it .
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Yes.
So it's just opportunistic greed then - nothing to do with preserving 'better' seats for status holders. They just know they can get away with it.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I like BAs policy here, because it protects 64K from casual fliers.
rossmacd, T8191 and dougzz like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerub
I like BAs policy here, because it protects 64K from casual fliers.
And 63a/b for this Gold couple ...

... oops, is that slightly DYKWAI?
rapidex likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
It is really funny no one thinks of the compromise that could be made. All be a need to do is to make certain seats available for goals and then silvers. They manage this perfectly well with Row 1 in Club Europe, and I see no reason why they can’t do that with some of the seats In Club World.
I also think that if you are paying $10,000 for a Club World ticket, you are not a regular on this Forum which seems to be dedicated to
gainjng status as cheaply as possible.

OP., i’m afraid that you won’t get much sympathy here because of the possessiveness That seems to apply with the perks that come with the status. I , however, completely understand your position and frankly it strikes me as one of the best reasons not to fly with British Airways. So, if your ticket is refundable, I’d ask for your money back.
HIDDY and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by RobDBA
Here lies the genius of this policy - it creates a worry that monetizes something (guaranteeing sitting together) that would very likely happen anyway if you didn't buy it. It also makes some people fly BA more than they otherwise would to get the the loyalty privileges to guarantee something that would likely happen anyway.
(snip)...
"some people", perhaps, but I am definitely not one of those people. This policy is among the reasons why I will not fly BA. I do not subscribe to "airline loyalty" or chasing status. The degree to which airlines -- note plural, and thus not unique to BA -- have made it more difficult to enjoy a number of benefits from such "loyalty" programs is IMHO disgraceful at best, and I feel I'm being kind. As another example, look at the, again IMHO, absurd surcharges imposed by BA when using a "free"/reward ticket flying (in/out?) LHR unless one attempts to secure, if possible, flying on a partner like AA. No, thank you, my allegiance is unto myself where I fly based on the most convenient schedules and how I calculate value for myself; yes, including in paid biz class (usually), and being "nickeled and dime'd" to death in spite of what I can afford completely turns me off. The one, arguably, sole benefit of such airline loyalty that I perceive is the additional assistance to such loyal pax in the event of IROPS. That's about it.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cunardqueen
Some of us are flying for leisure and booked our seats 3 month ago in Business class, and would love to pay for a nice seat with direct isle access, But find these seats are blocked for those passengers flying with babies. Now is that fair ? A nice club world seat, tucked away in the corner, direct isle access and yet l cannot reserve it .
I assume you don’t have to travel with babies/infants.

There are very few bassinet seats on any l/h flight, and I can’t think offhand whether any have direct Aisle access from ‘a corner’.

Do you feel you should take precedence over someone who has to travel with an infant? If so, do please elaborate.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by T8191

There are very few bassinet seats on any l/h flight, and I can’t think offhand whether any have direct Aisle access from ‘a corner’.
64A on the 744.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oaxaca

64A on the 744.
Of course ... I have been suffering 744 deprivation for some years!

I assume that is the seat referred to?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:27 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But this can be achieved without charging the fees BA does. JAL operates a system where the more attractive seats are blocked for full fare and higher tier frequent flyers Same effect, but no charge to the people falling outside the eligibility.
That's interesting. Is that why I couldn't book row 1 on a reward ticket a year out?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0

Or one of the cleverest. All loyalty schemes offer rewards. The free selection of seats for golds and silvers is very popular and for me a great benefit. Certain seats are cherished especially on the upper deck of a 747.
I agree, certainly not the dumbest!
jerub likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I know it seems an unfriendly policy to some, but just imagine the furore here if BA abandoned this policy! The pitchforks and burning torches would be visible from outer space (and even the AA forum). It's a policy which suits BA's regular travellers, and anyone who does at least a small amount of travel on any oneworld airline - or has a corporate travel deal - should at least be able to avoid the charges. Whether we like or not, BA's focus is on looking after these passengers, rather than the occasional passenger with no ambitions to work the BA Executive Club (BAEC) system. For every $10k passenger in Club, there will be other passengers who spend $150 on shorter sectors. FT of course can help, by giving advice and tips, and @ahmetdouas is an example of someone who deploys a few tactics to get (mostly) what he wants without paying for it.

However since the threads cross-referenced above has come out, there is now another solution, which is to pay for seating using Avios. A Blue passenger (BAEC entry level) gets about 7,000 Avios on a flight like SEA-LHR, Now that doesn't entirely cover the cost of the seats, there is still a gap of about $30 but nevertheless it is an option.

And there are plenty of airlines out there where there are no advance seat selection ahead of check-in.
I think the issue is while you can deploy many tactics to 'beat the system', I generally prefer having as little hassle as possible, so it sometimes leaves a bitter taste (like BOB for example).
When I booked LH business class LHR-MUC-ATH return, I booked a seat free of charge at the time of booking, with BA i would have had to pay. So I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons of each airline competing on each route.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If paying $10k plus for a business class seat, wouldn't it be in a higher fare bucket that comes with free seat assignment?
I just priced out a YYC-LHR return in CW. Total price was $9631, selling class D and I, so no seat selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.