Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Choosing seats in Business Class--Does it really cost me that much?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing seats in Business Class--Does it really cost me that much?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by david55
F pax can pick their seats in F for free but still cannot pick a business class seat for a connection without paying the fee.
1st class passengers that book into J or C onto BA connecting services can select seats without charge
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
This has to be one of the dumbest revenue enhancement schemes I’ve seen for a premium cabin.
One of the results is that we keep coming back to BA. It must therefore be a really dumb policy. Obvs.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But this can be achieved without charging the fees BA does. JAL operates a system where the more attractive seats are blocked for full fare and higher tier frequent flyers Same effect, but no charge to the people falling outside the eligibility.
Do you remember how it was in the previous iteration of the policy? Those who now have to pay a fee couldn't select a seat at all before OLCI opened. And yet the CW cabins were often almost completely pre-allocated by the time that OLCI opened.

That is how many seats BA would have to save for full-fare and higher-tier frequent flyers. The net result is that those who can now pay to select almost all CW seats would be restricted to choosing from only a small proportion of the seats in the CW cabin. And once they were gone, they'd be gone; they'd be waiting until OLCI.
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
I don't understand the ire here, and I say this as a non one world status holder. If I am spending 10K on a ticket, a few hundred more wont hurt, could be the alternative with free selection is more than fare and seat fee combined.
And that's before you ask the question why the complaining passenger booked BA to begin with, when they're clearly not even a moderately-regular BA or OW passenger.

I think that the last time we had this discussion, the complaining passenger was very frank. Normally he'd book UA. But this time, UA was much more expensive than BA. So he booked BA and saved a shedload of money. And then complained about BA's seating fee.

I think that in those circumstances, you'd have to regard "free seat pre-allocation is a must in business class" as something akin to a tenet of faith. There are plenty of us who like it - and we are the ones who are the regular customers.
T8191 and PJSMITH0 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
any sign / any other carriers charging in J yet?
LX does for certain 'premium' seats but are free for certain status passengers.

Though of course what is a premium seat is in the eye of the beholder and is down to personal preference.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:10 am

It is frustrating I think, booked a trip last night to Boston and here is the map if I want to reserve now, but I will hit silver in 5 weeks so I'll hang on
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mwp1
It is frustrating I think, booked a trip last night to Boston and here is the map if I want to reserve now, but I will hit silver in 5 weeks so I'll hang on
And this doesn't have to be an either/or decision made now, because:-
  1. [*]
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
And this doesn't have to be an either/or decision made now, because:-
  1. You can monitor the situation in the meantime anyway and possibly revisit the decision if all decent seats look like they are being snapped up by others, so that waiting no longer makes sense.
i did look at EF yesterday after booking and they were all available except for 64a, but the map I posted above is what I have the option of, I looked again before and it now says a a380, strange
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i did look at EF yesterday after booking and they were all available except for 64a, but the map I posted above is what I have the option of ...
This is because someone who has free seat pre-allocation can get anything except 64A (bassinet) and 60B (if blocked for crew on that flight). However, if you have to pay, you are limited to 60B (unless blocked), 63AB, 63JK and 64B - exactly as you see.

Can't help with the morphing aircraft, though!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.

Sweet - so my upcoming JFK 62A would have cost me Ł100 if it weren't for BAEC? Didn't know it was that much!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Deckard
Sweet - so my upcoming JFK 62A would have cost me Ł100 if it weren't for BAEC? Didn't know it was that much!
its what I miss most when I was silver last time, seats at booking, like I said I'll have that back a few days after landing at JFK in a few weeks

can I ask you deckard, do you have to climb over someone in 62a to gain aisle access or is it direct with it being emergency exit row ??
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
can I ask you deckard, do you have to climb over someone in 62a to gain aisle access or is it direct with it being emergency exit row ??
62a and k are direct aisle access (as are 64a and k on the UD).
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:49 am

Direct - hence choosing it
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Deckard
Direct - hence choosing it
excellent , that is worth remembering 👍

I picked 4a on a 3 class 777 to JFK for the same reason
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:57 am

excellent , that is worth remembering 👍

I picked 4a on a 3 class 777 to JFK for the same reason
I'm struggling on which seat to choose coming back from BOS as it's a 380 and I've not flown one before. On the bright side BOS has TSA PreCheck which will be a pleasant novelty now BA use it
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:00 am

deleted
Deckard likes this.

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:39 am
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I see from your profile that you've become a BAEC member. That's good because there's no reason to waste the 360 tier points you'll earn on this flight--which will qualify you for BA Bronze, expanding your window for selecting seats from OLCI at 24 hours to 7 days until the end of your membership year. For business seat selection, that may not be very helpful as the Club cabin tends to attract a decent share of Silver and Gold members, but it's still an improvement.

Should you find BA a decent enough carrier--a subject of much debate!--and take another business class flight within your TP collection year deadline, you'll reach Silver status and get free seat selection at the time of purchase. Plus, as a BA Silver, you'll get oneworld Sapphire status, which will provide you with the ability to pick any seat on AA in an economy cabin, including MCE and exit rows, with the associated fees waived. And, on most domestic routes, you'll have access to Admirals Clubs for free--a benefit most AA status holders do not get unless they purchase an Admirals' Club membership. I fly ORF-JFK on a regular basis and find those benefits make flying on small regional jets more tolerable.

Yes, BA's rules regarding seat selection disfavor infrequent flyers, but given their route network, if you're flying to Europe from Seattle, they offer a lot of opportunities to become a "frequent" flyer fairly quickly and get some benefits that I've found improve my AA domestic flight experiences.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.