Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Choosing seats in Business Class--Does it really cost me that much?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing seats in Business Class--Does it really cost me that much?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
This has to be one of the dumbest revenue enhancement schemes I’ve seen for a premium cabin.
Depends which lenses you are seeing this through. For BA and smug buggers like me, then its either a nifty earner or a handy dodge to keep seats free for those with FF status.

But of course I can see it must be incredibly annoying to those outside the club. Easiest solution is to fly with another carrier.

But if you really are intent on flying with the one-time world's favourite airline, then you'll have to cough up if you wish to reserve a seat - either in extra fees or a higher booking class.
Grog and corporate-wage-slave like this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You are not the first to complain about this. Or the last. Get a post like yours every few months
While definitely a common topic, I don't blame people for the threads. Someone new to BA is rightfully surprised that there is a seat selection fee. Adding $240 for r/t US-LHR (and more connecting into the EU) is obnoxious to say the least. For a oneworld comparison, getting the bulkhead on an AA longhaul (MCE) is about $300 r/r but that's even on the cheapest economy ticket, not on their J seats.

Maybe it should be a sticky.
​​
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:02 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by Gig103
Maybe it should be a sticky.
​​
It's the first item in post #2 of the dashboard.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:51 pm

Rightfully surprised? I suppose so.... yet Ft'ers in general seem to have better than average knowledge of how it all works..or perhaps just a greater probability of actually checking in to things. Before I booked and flew in BA J with purchased AA miles I had a look at BA's way of doing things...so it was no surprise to ME...
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I know it seems an unfriendly policy to some, but just imagine the furore here if BA abandoned this policy! The pitchforks and burning torches would be visible from outer space (and even the AA forum). It's a policy which suits BA's regular travellers, and anyone who does at least a small amount of travel on any oneworld airline - or has a corporate travel deal - should at least be able to avoid the charges. Whether we like or not, BA's focus is on looking after these passengers, rather than the occasional passenger with no ambitions to work the BA Executive Club (BAEC) system. For every $10k passenger in Club, there will be other passengers who spend $150 on shorter sectors. FT of course can help, by giving advice and tips, and @ahmetdouas is an example of someone who deploys a few tactics to get (mostly) what he wants without paying for it.

However since the threads cross-referenced above has come out, there is now another solution, which is to pay for seating using Avios. A Blue passenger (BAEC entry level) gets about 7,000 Avios on a flight like SEA-LHR, Now that doesn't entirely cover the cost of the seats, there is still a gap of about $30 but nevertheless it is an option.

And there are plenty of airlines out there where there are no advance seat selection ahead of check-in.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:50 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
This has to be one of the dumbest revenue enhancement schemes I’ve seen for a premium cabin.
Or one of the cleverest. All loyalty schemes offer rewards. The free selection of seats for golds and silvers is very popular and for me a great benefit. Certain seats are cherished especially on the upper deck of a 747.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0

Or one of the cleverest. All loyalty schemes offer rewards. The free selection of seats for golds and silvers is very popular and for me a great benefit. Certain seats are cherished especially on the upper deck of a 747.
But this can be achieved without charging the fees BA does. JAL operates a system where the more attractive seats are blocked for full fare and higher tier frequent flyers Same effect, but no charge to the people falling outside the eligibility.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
I don't understand the ire here, and I say this as a non one world status holder. If I am spending 10K on a ticket, a few hundred more wont hurt, could be the alternative with free selection is more than fare and seat fee combined. I think one J seat is
not so different from another, but people who are regulars will of course have their favorites and it makes sense for BA ( or any airline ) to try to keep these available.

I think its an excellent idea and does not put the singe traveller at much disadvantage, if travelling as a couple it might be an annoyance but that's all
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
I don't understand the ire here, and I say this as a non one world status holder. If I am spending 10K on a ticket, a few hundred more wont hurt, .....................
It’s a tricky one.

As someone not personally affected by the charges, due to BAEC status, the policy is obviously beneficial to me. But I can very easily understand why many people might view things in a different light.

The ‘what difference does a few more dollars make when you’ve already spent thousands’ mantra does indeed sound plausible on the face of it. But if - in the middle of finalising the purchase of a brand new car for Ł50,000 - you asked for a coffee only to then be charged for it, you would most likely consider it rather poor practice on the part of the dealership.

I have just booked several J class sectors with Oman Air and must admit I would have felt rather peeved had I then been asked to pay extra to select my preferred seats.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
If I am spending 10K on a ticket, a few hundred more wont hurt
If I'm spending $10,000 on a ticket (heaven forbid) I'm not flying BA, so problem solved.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But this can be achieved without charging the fees BA does. JAL operates a system where the more attractive seats are blocked for full fare and higher tier frequent flyers Same effect, but no charge to the people falling outside the eligibility.
Though if you ask they let you have them, usually.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by DrKoob
Thanks for the info. Ridiculous when you pay $10K plus for a business seat and you have to pay another $380 to choose the seat.
But if you paid over $10K surely you would have been in the fare category that didn't charge for seat allocation in advance of check in? (The higher business class fare codes don't pay the fee)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:14 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Thats fine if the ticket cost is the same, but JAL to Tokyo from Heathrow is usually that more expensive than BA so you could purchase your seats and still be ahead. My point was it’s clever because it make we top tier fliers feel like we are getting a true benefit unlike say a hotel loyalty scheme which just upgrades a room. There is a genuine cost saving of hundreds of pounds for Silver and Golds
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by DrKoob
Ridiculous when you pay $10K plus for a business seat and you have to pay another $380 to choose the seat.
If paying $10k plus for a business class seat, wouldn't it be in a higher fare bucket that comes with free seat assignment?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
There wasn't so much hubris when charges were introduced for economy class seating, yet it's normally a far higher % of ticket cost that in business. Y'awl fight your corner, i'll fight mine

Point I wanted to make is that other airlines have followed BA down the kitchen path with regards to Y seating & charging (on scheduled airlines anyway), any sign / any other carriers charging in J yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.