Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Choosing seats in Business Class--Does it really cost me that much?

Choosing seats in Business Class--Does it really cost me that much?

Old Jul 3, 18, 7:47 am

OLCI CW Seat Availability

we donít have any OW status and I detest paying for seat reservations so normally wait until OLCI. Cabin crew Will Usually ask someone to move to seat us together if necessary. However, on our last two flights to ORD we have secured 64A/B on the upper deck when OLCI opened.
Old Jul 4, 18, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA*G
I do wonder a little about this thread.

I'm struggling to find flights SEA-EDI-SEA in business class for as much as USD $10,000, and the majority of them would not incur any seat reservation charges (obviously not BA), but if they did, the total cost would still be way below $10K. Of course the OP is quite at liberty to choose any fare they wish to, without any gratuitous advice from us.

So really, I don't know what to make of it. But that's just me.
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:23 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Charging for J seats for us without the pretty coloured cards is a rip off. However, it has been going on for a long time now. They can get away with it, so they carry on charging.
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer View Post
Charging for J seats for us without the pretty coloured cards is a rip off. However, it has been going on for a long time now. They can get away with it, so they carry on charging.
Those that feel it is not worth the price are quite able to wait until check in an get selection free of charge

I think it is overpriced, so for my foster son that travelled with me on BA to UK this week, I chose not to pay for a seat for him and waited until the airport to select a seat ( couldnt check him in online since he was a minor on a standalone reservation ) - didn't matter if we sat apart but in end we sat in adjacent seats; I was able to select a seat for free, so I did one for myself - obviously BA think it is worth it charging for seats and the level of resentment to it , seems that doesn't reach a level where it needs to stop

Whether paid for or not, we were both going to end up being on the same flight
Old Jul 4, 18, 7:15 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs down Ya...

Have spent probably north of $100,000 on business class tickets in the 10 years. Care to guess how much of my money BA has gotten??? That's right, NOT one red cent!!! Will not book a carrier that wants to charge me for business class seat selection...not going to happen...
Old Jul 4, 18, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways View Post
Have spent probably north of $100,000 on business class tickets in the 10 years. Care to guess how much of my money BA has gotten??? That's right, NOT one red cent!!! Will not book a carrier that wants to charge me for business class seat selection...not going to happen...
If you were spending that much per annum on flights, then you should have easily been able to achieve OW Sapphire status in the 1st year on one of the OW Carriers and then would have had the benefit of being able to select for free. Being on the other side of the fence, your view of whether it is good or bad may well have changed

Of course, you may have just found a better carrier for your itineraries - if you were going out of your way to just avoid BA because of a policy you would hardly be affected by, it would seem to be a strange thing
Old Jul 28, 18, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

However since the threads cross-referenced above has come out, there is now another solution, which is to pay for seating using Avios. A Blue passenger (BAEC entry level) gets about 7,000 Avios on a flight like SEA-LHR, Now that doesn't entirely cover the cost of the seats, there is still a gap of about $30 but nevertheless it is an option.
Can you tell me when this started? have 241 reward CW seats booked for October and paid to reserve seats. Do you know if I could use avios instead and get a refund? Thanks for any help. This is the first time Iíve seen this.
Old Jul 28, 18, 10:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich View Post
I think some of these issues for the solo travellers on LH business class cabin will go away when the hard product is refreshed. I think a lot of the anxiety is due to the overall outdatedness, relative to other carriers (at least I take , - AA TATL, JL etc) of the product meaning that there just a few bright spots/ bearable seats for people to fight over. I’m mostly thinking direct aisle access window seats here.
I agree. The problem I have with the BA Club layout is that while there are a small number of choice seats for either couples or individuals, there are too many poor alternatives. Gymnastic exit requirements aside, the rear facing centre pairs are great for a couple but I wouldn't much fancy them flying on my own.

Ironically, seat selection is usually free on other airlines where the choice isn't perhaps so critical.
Old Jul 29, 18, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
So odd one here.

My wife and I were both Bronze members but with enough guaranteed bookings with BA within our membership years to guarantee Silver status.

I was not comfortable paying £400 from London to South Africa return to reserve seats when we had just paid what we paid to book the ticket. I knew about the rule but still it really annoys me. So I called BA 3 days in a row and complained and complained and complained. In the end, the deal was, If paid the £400 now to select our seats and we hit BA Silver before our flights to JNB then they would refund the £400.

My wife has hit Silver with our tier point run last month and I hit mind in 3 weeks with a trip to Northern Ireland. Then we will see whether BA hold up their end.
Old Jul 29, 18, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Steph G. View Post

Can you tell me when this started? have 241 reward CW seats booked for October and paid to reserve seats. Do you know if I could use avios instead and get a refund? Thanks for any help. This is the first time Iíve seen this.
pay with avios for seats started around 2-3 months ago. Unfortunately you wouldnít be able to get the cash you have paid refunded on this basis.
Old Jul 29, 18, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
All te bulkhead lower deck middle "couple seats" are bassinet seats so cant be booked. I believe you can get this with a medical condition if you cant climb over but the Gold Line don't know how to do this because it needs to be overridden.

I used to pay for my bulkhead seats or exit rows in Y and never had a problem with it.
Old Jul 29, 18, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Tesco Clubcard, Shell Drivers’ Club, M&S Sparks
This policy is frustrating.

I've flown with our friends at QR, MAS, CX etc and have never been charged for J seating.

BA think they are able to get away with it but don't realise that customers are finding it frustrating.
Old Jul 29, 18, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
You essentially have silver status in a couple of long hauls in J, so most regular BA business fliers don't see the issue. Also corporate TAs can often book seats regardless of status. So although it's irritating for some taking infrequent BA flights, it's not as big an issue as you might think. BA I'm sure realise it's a point of irritation, but they have decided that the benefits of working this way outweigh the costs. Most of what I've seen says that people tend to wait until T-72 or T-24 and get a free seat anyway.
Old Jul 29, 18, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
As another addition. I will only book a bulkhead seat in WT+/PE. And in the past would only book a Y exit row for long haul. If it was opened up free of charge at booking for everyone then these would be gone for almost every flight (I cant organise a tip for business 6 months in advance).

I would therefore, search other airlines/FF programs and probably jump ship. Or do what I did on my last three flights (CX, CX, and QR because the EDI DOH flight was empty so anywhere in Y was good). All this would be a loss to BA of my annual flying budget (£30k+).
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jul 29, 18, 4:02 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum, HH Diamond, SPG LT Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 View Post
I don't understand the ire here, and I say this as a non one world status holder. If I am spending 10K on a ticket, a few hundred more wont hurt
So by the same logic you wouldnít be bothered if you reserved a £10k a night luxury hotel room and were charged extra for toilet paper. No - I didnít think so.

Itís called being nickel and dimed.

Search this Thread