Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Choosing seats in Business Class--Does it really cost me that much?

Choosing seats in Business Class--Does it really cost me that much?

Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
"some people", perhaps, but I am definitely not one of those people. This policy is among the reasons why I will not fly BA. I do not subscribe to "airline loyalty" or chasing status. The degree to which airlines -- note plural, and thus not unique to BA -- have made it more difficult to enjoy a number of benefits from such "loyalty" programs is IMHO disgraceful at best, and I feel I'm being kind. As another example, look at the, again IMHO, absurd surcharges imposed by BA when using a "free"/reward ticket flying (in/out?) LHR unless one attempts to secure, if possible, flying on a partner like AA. No, thank you, my allegiance is unto myself where I fly based on the most convenient schedules and how I calculate value for myself; yes, including in paid biz class (usually), and being "nickeled and dime'd" to death in spite of what I can afford completely turns me off. The one, arguably, sole benefit of such airline loyalty that I perceive is the additional assistance to such loyal pax in the event of IROPS. That's about it.
There is no need to set foot in A BA aircraft to obtain status. You can fly with any Oneworld airline, and do your 4 flights on Comair in South Sfrica, or IB or codeshares.Loyalty programs are somewhat blurred around the edges.
HIDDY and passy777 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by jonjparr
So it's just opportunistic greed then - nothing to do with preserving 'better' seats for status holders. They just know they can get away with it.
The pricing mechanism exists largely to manage demand. I suspect the prices were carefully positioned at just a cat's whisker below the max price point customers are willing to pay. This effectively ensures there are preferential seats available to last minute full fare ticket holders and on balance suits the majority of customers. I would say families and couples who just want to sit together and other than that don't have a strong seating preference are the ones disadvantaged by the policy and they certainly have my sympathy.

The ability to pay using Avios is a useful alternative and unlike cash payments the Avios levels are fixed amounts although I understand these levels may move to a dynamic pricing system after the facility has bedded in.

I imagine that demand management is terribly complex as the strength of seat preferences will vary substantially depending on the aircraft. For example, when it comes to the 747 and 777 I have a very strong preference - window please, upper deck if available. However on the A380 i'm pretty agnostic on the main deck verses upper deck but do have a marginal preference towards window seats but aisle is fine. I do avoid main deck middle seats though. On the 787, i'll happily accept any CW seat.

On other airlines I use (mainly AA and CX) I am far less concerned about my seat allocation - the cabins are pretty homogenous. I do try to avoid AA's mini cabin on their 773 - just a tad too noisy for my liking.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I would say families and couples who just want to sit together and other than that don't have a strong seating preference are the ones disadvantaged by the policy and they certainly have my sympathy.
And there's the rub, not the innumerable solo Business pax we see here on the Forum.
THEY NEED 64A/K on the 744, or they go meltdown.
Some people NEED privacy.
We Leisure pax just want 2 adjacent seats, where SWMBO has Aisle access.
And don't even start on bassinets!

It's a complex scenario, and BA does it's best to meet all demands, mainly by charging for the 'special' seating' for those who have neglected to display loyalty to BA/OW.

(OMG, I'm apologising for BA. Sorry!)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I think some of these issues for the solo travellers on LH business class cabin will go away when the hard product is refreshed. I think a lot of the anxiety is due to the overall outdatedness, relative to other carriers (at least I take , - AA TATL, JL etc) of the product meaning that there just a few bright spots/ bearable seats for people to fight over. I’m mostly thinking direct aisle access window seats here.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Bronze. MLife Gold, Cunard Diamond, Total Rewards Diamond.
Do you feel you should take precedence over someone who has to travel with an infant? If so, do please elaborate.
On my flight from Chicago to London on a 777 January 19th 2019 seat 68A and 68K are unavailable for reservation. As a solo leisure traveller who is able to book and pay for such a flight and is very willing to pay upfront for a seat reservation is it not a bit unfair that these are the only two seats with direct isle access . Its a night flight and the last thing l want to be doing is climbing over the next sleeping passenger .Im aware there might be some babies only a few feet away in WTP . Perhaps hold back one seat and allow the other seat to be booked. .
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by T8191
And there's the rub, not the innumerable solo Business pax we see here on the Forum.
THEY NEED 64A/K on the 744, or they go meltdown.
Some people NEED privacy.
We Leisure pax just want 2 adjacent seats, where SWMBO has Aisle access.
And don't even start on bassinets!

It's a complex scenario, and BA does it's best to meet all demands, mainly by charging for the 'special' seating' for those who have neglected to display loyalty to BA/OW.

(OMG, I'm apologising for BA. Sorry!)
When I joined FT many moons ago, getting my head around BA's seating policy was one of the first things I managed to master. Back then I was a Blue card holder and my long haul forays were either WT+ purchases using MFUs on solo trips or using Amex companion vouchers when travelling as a couple. The policy differed back then - if my memory serves me correctly, 60% of the seats were allocated on a first come first served basis and after the 60% had gone.... well, that was it. The remaining 40% were divvied up by airport control and distrubuted at checkin (OLCI, phone checking, Paddington station check-in or at the airport). This policy clearly favoured those who booked their flights well in advance (and price conscious customers such as myself) while disadvantage those paying full whack.

Times have changed as has my travel pattern. Now, I often find self booking flights on a Thursday for travel to HKG on a Sunday. It is quite common to be placed on a waitlist before receiving a confirmed seat but in any event, I appreciate there is some semblance of choice available to me.

So yes, the policy works for me. I do sympathise with families though.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:39 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
1st class passengers that book into J or C onto BA connecting services can select seats without charge
Edit:I misread your quote so my reply was useless. My 2 cents follows.

I agree it works for BA and for their FF. I pay for J mostly out of my own pocket and thus almost never fly BA. The value proposition of Club World (even if the seats were free to select) just does not exist for me. But, once again, I get why BA does it and it seems to work for everyone who flies them frequently.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:56 pm

Admiral Akbar 😂

That takes me back a few years your name

belter 👍😆
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I guess the policy is one of the main reasons I retain silver

I wouldn't want to fly BA without silver status

if I broke free I would gladly try out other airlines with free selection

You could argue that The cost of maintaing status outweighs any seat cost!

interstingly when flying Austrian last year as non status only one seat was avsilable in their ‘CE’ cabin . I ramg up to enquire and it looked like most of the cabin was reserved for status passenges . The agent did however allocate my request
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allturnleft
I wouldn't want to fly BA without silver status
Nobody should.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:35 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
I think some of these issues for the solo travellers on LH business class cabin will go away when the hard product is refreshed.
So, we should be good in 2025 (ish)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
That's interesting. Is that why I couldn't book row 1 on a reward ticket a year out?
Yes, JAL does not allow row 1 for advance selection on awards. Even for emeralds.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I just priced out a YYC-LHR return in CW. Total price was $9631, selling class D and I, so no seat selection.
My maths isn't what it used to be, but that's not '$10K+'

Anyway, this is academic, it is what the OP actually paid that matters, and if they did pay that much, there is a good chance better value fares may be available.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
My maths isn't what it used to be, but that's not '$10K+'
$10K+ including seat selection then
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
$10K+ including seat selection then
Nope, you're still shy of $10K

Unless you'd like to add on some duty free to make up the difference?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.