Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA policies vs anecdotal evidence

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:13 am
Original Poster

BA policies vs anecdotal evidence

I've noticed some commonalities in a few recent threads, which I think is an interesting occurrence and possibly helpful to passengers/FT-ers negotiating the grey area between what is BA policy and what are actions by BA staff which occasionally, or even regularly, are not in line with those policies (the latter, in almost all cases, to the benefit of the passenger).

I think every passenger has their own risk tolerance in terms of planning their journey based on what can be counted on (as it is BA policy), and what might take place (on account of anecdotal evidence of actions by BA staff).

I was wondering whether collating what I would call these instances of 'mediated policy' in a thread might be useful. In recent days, I can think of three examples from FT, but there must be others:

1) Through-checking baggage on separate BA tickets. BA policy is not to do so. Anecdotal evidence suggests check-in staff might either proactively offer to through-check bags, or respond positively if asked to do so.

2) Hand baggage limits across different cabins. BA policy is that all cabins have identical hand baggage limits. Anecdotal evidence suggests passengers in higher cabins (i.e. CE/CW/First) frequently are given a certain amount of leeway in this regard.

3) (Not specific to BA) Leaving Heathrow T5, for example, to access T3 airside lounges between non-T3 inward and onward flights. Heathrow policy is that passengers must have a T3 boarding pass to access T3 airside lounges. Anecdotal evidence suggests this is not the case.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I never, ever rely on anecdotes on anything that actually matters any more (random things that don't really affect anything is excluded).

After relying on multiple anecdotes reported on FT (SQ forum to be specific) regarding being allowed to be up to 10% overweight in baggage free of charge even in economy class, I was promptly charged USD 300 (or was it more? I can't remember now) for being just under 5 kg over when I was in Suite.

What I missed was that I was allowed two fairly substantial pieces of hand luggage (written policy). I could have easily avoided the USD 300 excess baggage charge if I had familiarised myself with that, as I only had one piece of hand luggage and I had a spare bag to which I could have easily transferred the excess.

Lessons learned - read the policies properly, and only rely on policies, not anecdotes, unless the risk is worth taking.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I never, ever rely on anecdotes on anything that actually matters. [...] Lessons learned - read the policy properly. Only rely on policy.
I think this is a perfect example of a clear level of risk tolerance on your part, which makes perfect sense. What I'm getting at, however, is that having the parameters (i.e. between what is policy and what some passengers experience when policy is modified - and if there appears to be a trend) might be useful to others with a different level of risk tolerance.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
On 1 the policy is clear. You can ask and you may be lucky, but the problem is you can never assume it would be allowed.

So all planning must be done on the assumption through checking will be denied, and one would be particularly ill advised to plan on it being done anecdote or no anecdote.
rapidex, Anonba and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I think this is a perfect example of a clear level of risk tolerance on your part, which makes perfect sense. What I'm getting at, however, is that having the parameters (i.e. between what is policy and what passengers experience when policy is modified) might be useful to others with a different level of risk tolerance.
Not really. It depends on the consequence (I edited my post to clarify that after you quoted it), although relying on anecdotes and hoping that things will go according to anecdotes are two different things also.

Service-wise, it can create (incorrect) expectations and people may get upset when their reliance on anecdotes doesn't work, which might end up being perceived as 'poor service' when someone acts according to policy rather than lenience.

Occasionally, the policy isn't communicated properly to staff as well, to your detriment, and again I can use the policy to press my point too. An example - extra baggage policy for OWE was for some reason not communicated to QF check-in staff and neither did their computer reflect it, for a while (it seems to have been sorted out some time ago). Because I had the policy to show them, I could use my extra allowance free of charge. I wouldn't have been able to argue that point with anecdotes (although I had my own anecdotes to present)!
flygirl68 likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 1, 2018 at 7:34 am
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
On 1 the policy is clear. You can ask and you may be lucky, but the problem is you can never assume it would be allowed.

So all planning must be done on the assumption through checking will be denied, and one would be particularly ill advised to plan on it being done anecdote or no anecdote.
Absolutely you can't assume, but that's my point: different passengers have different risk tolerances (and assumption policy will be followed through may be something some passengers are not bothered by) for different circumstances.

Increasingly I assume my baggage will be checked through on separate tickets. Now I don't assume it to the point of having very tight 'connections', but I assume it to the point of packing a little more than if I were HBO. But that's my personal risk tolerance, and it's one based both on my experiences, and what I've read here on BAEC FT.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:31 am

I think this is a perfect example of a clear level of risk tolerance on your part, which makes perfect sense. What I'm getting at, however, is that having the parameters (i.e. between what is policy and what some passengers experience when policy is modified - and if there appears to be a trend) might be useful to others with a different level of risk tolerance.
This kind of data was certainly useful to me on my trip this weekend. Know the risks, but also being in a "so you are saying there is a chance" situation can be helpful.

The key here is to know the rules, BA isn't forcing any of us to fly with them. If you ask for something that is against policy and the answer is no then accept it.
Takiteasy and newyorklondon like this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Service-wise, it can create (incorrect) expectations and people may get upset when their reliance on anecdotes doesn't work, which might end up being perceived as 'poor service' when someone acts according to policy rather than lenience.
Yes, of course it can, but this arises because of what is actually happening in reality. There is a non-trivial number of data points on FT from different users to demonstrate, I hope, that my three examples are not fictitious. I think highlighting these examples might be of use, assuming it's clear that these are not endorsements, and that they are - in effect - examples of policy not being carried out.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
I agree where there is a policy no one should plan around a hope of an exception but in this forum we should at least help each other try to maximize the probability of an exception.

So what would be really helpful is advice as to how best manage a BA agent on the phone of f2f. Aside from a pleasant attitude and no DYKIAG* sense of entitlement, are there trigger words, policy quotes, reminiscence of past events or other that can help?

(* = don’t you know I am Gold?)
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
I agree where there is a policy no one should plan around a hope of an exception but in this forum we should at least help each other try to maximize the probability of an exception.

So what would be really helpful is advice as to how best manage a BA agent on the phone of f2f. Aside from a pleasant attitude and no DYKIAG* sense of entitlement, are there trigger words, policy quotes, reminiscence of past events or other that can help?

(* = don’t you know I am Gold?)
I agree, and i think that's really the goal of this thread - to give everyone as much data as possible, whilst making it clear what is actually BA policy. I think there are a huge range of readers on FT, including many non-posters I'd imagine, who run the gamut of flying experience, and can make up their own minds as to what they take away from the forum and this thread.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:49 am

Yes, of course it can, but this arises because of what is actually happening in reality. There is a non-trivial number of data points on FT from different users to demonstrate, I hope, that my three examples are not fictitious. I think highlighting these examples might be of use, assuming it's clear that these are not endorsements, and that they are - in effect - examples of policy not being carried out.
I agree that the anecdotes are indeed useful in so far as people don't rely on it for important planning purposes, e.g. planning a tight transit on separate tickets.

In essence, my thoughts are that it's not a good idea for readers to take anecdotes as "unwritten policy" (or in some cases even mistaking it as part of the written policy) as some might do, which may well be easy to do especially when there is no mention that it is in fact not the policy in the post.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:57 am

Hang on a second...

Dear BA, we have taken the liberty of providing a useful thread where you can learn where you can strengthen/reinforce your policies.

Can't we just let them and others find said suggestions from <insert random thread/post #>?

Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:59 am

I agree that the anecdotes are indeed useful in so far as people don't rely on it for important planning purposes, e.g. planning a tight transit on separate tickets.

In essence, my thoughts are that it's not a good idea for readers to take anecdotes as "unwritten policy" (or in some cases even mistaking it as part of the written policy) as some might do, which may well be easy to do especially when there is no mention that it is in fact not the policy in the post.
Am with you here, and what would therefore be great is a wiki table with the following 3 column headers
- the BA Policy per topic
- Anecdotal evidence of their staff going outside Policy to help the traveller
- ‘try this’ word, behaviour etc suggestion to try and achieve the same
A big disclaimer to remind readers that only the policy matters and all the rest is at their own risk...
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by lavajava
Hang on a second...

Dear BA, we have taken the liberty of providing a useful thread where you can learn where you can strengthen/reinforce your policies.

Can't we just let them and others find said suggestions from <insert random thread/post #>?

Maybe we should not overestimate the power of this forum

And if they do reinforce their policies as a result and apply them consistently, that should reduce the number of complaints.
lavajava likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

Maybe we should not overestimate the power of this forum

And if they do reinforce their policies as a result and apply them consistently, that should reduce the number of complaints.
Fair point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.