Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which aircraft for a J flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Which aircraft for a J flight?

Hi all, I am looking at booking my first flight in J to join up with a cruise next year. This will be a flight to Seattle.

The question Is, on the Seattle flights, flying direct with BA, out of the 747 or 777, which is best? Or would I be better going indirect with AA on their 777 or 787?

Thanks all
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would take the 747 particularly if you can go UD.

The other option if you have the time is to take the A380 to YVR and go down from there by train. Once you are past Vancouver's Delta area it's a great trip.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
The direct 747 and upper deck would be first choice, then the AA options. It's a big no from me for BA's 777 and the main deck of the 747.
T8191 and Takiteasy like this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
Another vote for the A380 via Vancouver - much quieter, smoother and better air con. Second best is the upper deck on the 747 and avoid the ghastley old 777s - they are vile!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Don't get the bad reputation the 777 and 747 main deck get. Granted, BA is not exactly a leading airline - but that is pretty aircraft independent. While preferring a 747 Upper deck, I'm perfectly happy in a main deck window seat... I would certainly not consider changing planes or taking a train ride just to go on another aircraft.
GLA and ppp909 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Main issue on this route is jetlag. The BA53/52 flights are both very early in the day. I’ve seen them claim many days of productivity and ability to function on my SEA trips. Thankfully, the (high-J) 747 moved to the much better timed BA48/49.

Granted, the Upper Deck is something special, but I feel many people here miss other key things that determine comfort, wellbeing, sleep and time to schlurp champagne!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your comments. I have to say, mentioning Vancouver, that could be a good idea to spend a few days there before heading south
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Are the Hi J 747 refurbished inside?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by simon1argyle
Are the Hi J 747 refurbished inside?
Yes, all of them. The key feature being the improved IFE system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.