Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL - Minimum realistic connection time?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Lowly Blue
Question ATL - Minimum realistic connection time?

My wife and I are arriving at ATL on BA227 at 20:15 EDT next month and, being unfamiliar with the passenger side of the airport, we were wondering how long it normally takes to clear Immigration, Customs, collect bags and change terminals etc.

We are debating whether to try and catch an onward flight that evening or whether we should spend a night at an airport hotel and travel the next day.

What would those who are familiar with Atlanta airport advise should be the realistic minimum connection time between arriving at the International terminal and catching a Delta flight from the domestic terminal?

Thanks in advance, Bellerophon.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Thee is a huge thread on the Delta board re ATL so pop over there and have a read as it does contain a lot of useful information on connection times etc that is not just applicable to DL.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
I travel to ATL once or twice a year. The BA flight is often delayed. Clearing immigration can also be a bit of a gamble depending on what’s come in, your cabin and how fast you’re prepared to walk/run to the machines/desks. Also my passport always gets rejected on the machines. I’m also feeling pretty tired with a 20:00+ arrival. If I were you, I’d stop over for the night. Given the hour change, you’ll be OK getting up and taking an early flight. If you do try and transit same day, I’d make sure it’s on one ticket to ensure your protected if anything goes wrong.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by pennineuk
Clearing immigration can also be a bit of a gamble depending on what’s come in, your cabin and how fast you’re prepared to walk/run to the machines/desks. Also my passport always gets rejected on the machines. I’m also feeling pretty tired with a 20:00+ arrival. If I were you, I’d stop over for the night. Given the hour change, you’ll be OK getting up and taking an early flight. If you do try and transit same day, I’d make sure it’s on one ticket to ensure your protected if anything goes wrong.
This matches my experience as well over 3 flights in the last 8 months or so. In Nov, landing the day after Thanksgiving, I was out the airport in 30 mins or less as it was very quiet (in contrast to what it must have looked like a couple of days before!)

In Jan this year, took 2hr 30mins to get to the CBP officer.

Personally, I think I'd be strongly tempted to stop overnight but YMMV as they say. In Jan there were a good few BA passengers in the queue stressed about onward connections that they would have missed (I think they cancelled LGW-FLL that day and rerouted many of them LHR-ATL and onwards)
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Variables not covered here include:
1. day of week.
2. Global Entry.
3. Connecting carrier.
4. Details of connecting flight, e.g. carrier, flight number & departure time.
5. Citizenship (passport used).

Bottom line is that if you are not comfortable with all of this and would prefer a relaxed journey after a long-haul flight, why not book the connection overnight?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:40 am

Evening flights in and out of ATL in the summer are always a risk. Summer afternoon/evening thunderstorms are common and has thrown Delta flights into disarray a few times this week already. I'd probably just take the overnight connection, but if you're in a premium cabin and are quick off the plane you shouldn't have much trouble with immigration. I just took this flight last month in F and immigration didn't take long at all (I do have GE though). Bags took about 15-20 minutes though. After collecting bags you'll have another 15-20 minute journey via walking and plane train to the domestic terminals.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I have the good fortune...?... to travel on this route at least once a month and have done for the last three years (the worst has been 3 times in one month!) This flight is the most unpredictable I've ever been on. Sometimes it's from a gate, sometimes bussed, sometimes on time (I faint at that point) sometimes late, sometimes great service, sometimes mixed, sometimes on a 787-9 (rarely now) sometimes on a 777-200 or it could be the 300 variant. If we do leave on time and arrive on time, but there is bad weather in ATL, then that will have messed with all the other arrivals and CBP can be a right royal mess. The other week my colleague who doesn't have global entry, took 2.5 hours to get through. We agreed I would meet him at the hotel! In short - I wouldn't do a connecting flight from ATL arriving on the BA flight. Fly the next day. (what annoys me is why the flight is so late anyway. In the winter it isn't too bad, but the summer departure time moves it back by nearly 2 hours! - WHY BA WHY?)
If leaving from ATL - don't expect much - the lounge is fair at best... one time the incoming flight was so late in, I stayed at the hotel and left at 1am to get the flight which by this time was 5 hours late...I was surprised it wasn't cancelled to be honest!Why don't I fly Delta/Virgin..? Well I do prefer BA F over those carriers although sometimes I have done it - and they are good.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Just another data point. Travelling in F last year and pretty much first off the plane; still nearly two hours from doors open to getting out of the airport (no Global Entry).
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:34 pm

I've flown there once. It took 4 hours from when the plane landed until I got into my hire car. I decided to never return there if I could help it and so far so good.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Lowly Blue
Thumbs up

A welcome outbreak of consensus on this forum! Overnight in an airport hotel and travel on the next day it is!

After a lengthy and very unsettling experience with US CBP at MIA last year my wife is not happy to transit there, so this year we decided to try ATL but, judging from some of the comments above, it may be out of the frying pan into the fire!

Time will tell, in the meantime, many thanks to all who replied so promptly and helpfully.

Bellerophon
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Having just done an LHR-ORD-ATL-MIA-LHR with inbound ATL leg cancelled in the air (returned; passengers dispersed over whatever available seats over the coming days) and outbound delayed by 2 hours 30 leading to a sprint from one side of Miami International to the other - don’t chance the summer weather.

Mornings should be thunderstorm clear, and the later arrival in the summer schedule make it difficult to find a matching connection (at least on AA).
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
The principle I live by is to never fly through ATL but if that doesn’t work definitely plan for the worst.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Bellerophon
A welcome outbreak of consensus on this forum! Overnight in an airport hotel and travel on the next day it is!

After a lengthy and very unsettling experience with US CBP at MIA last year my wife is not happy to transit there, so this year we decided to try ATL but, judging from some of the comments above, it may be out of the frying pan into the fire!

Time will tell, in the meantime, many thanks to all who replied so promptly and helpfully.

Bellerophon
My experience of arriving in ATL has to be one of the worst ever.. avoid it like a barge pole now. MIA has improved a great deal over last few years. Where are you heading as PHL is a pretty good option for connecting following on from International arrivals
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Bellerophon
Don't forget to look at the possibilities of going through DUB, since pre-clearance there is usually pleasanter than on arrival in the US. But it probably depends what your final destination is and how easily you can get there from an Aer Lingus or American flight from Dublin.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RichardLondon
I have the good fortune...?... to travel on this route at least once a month and have done for the last three years (the worst has been 3 times in one month!) This flight is the most unpredictable I've ever been on. Sometimes it's from a gate, sometimes bussed, sometimes on time (I faint at that point) sometimes late, sometimes great service, sometimes mixed, sometimes on a 787-9 (rarely now) sometimes on a 777-200 or it could be the 300 variant.
Just to welcome you to Flyertalk RichardLondon, and welcome in particular to the BA forum. Thanks very much for sharing your experiences, this route doesn't have anything like the same visibility as some of the other USA services so your input is helpful. I hope we will see more of you in the future.
RichardLondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.