Wiki Posts
Search

Where next for F

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Where next for F

So I have an interesting situation coming up next month.

LHR >> HKG >> LHR

Out in J, back in F (usual thing - our corp travel agent dipped into his box of tricks and found some magic pixie dust - I don't ask and he rarely tells).

It'll be the first J trip I've done which should have the full 'new CW' service (I did JFK last year just as they trialled it so only the food and some other peripheral stuff was updated at that point, and since then I've been flat out on shorthaul stuff).

So I will now be very interested in just how different the feel is between J and F. I am flying BA31/32 so it's the big bus both ways. So a genuine like for like comparison (and plenty of time on the flight in which to do this comparison).

Additionally I've never flown F back from HKG - only outwards. So I assume if I can be bothered to stray a bit from gate 15 there is possibly even a better lounge to explore.

I'll report back on this thread what my impression is - I didn't want to add it to the main 'new CW' thread, as I am specifically interested in whether it's nibbling at the heels of F, and where next for that product if so. However mods if you feel strongly that this needs to be rolled up into the other thread then fair enough.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Head down to the Pier F lounge near gate 61 but be prepared for a decent walk each way from the likely BA gate
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pascoe
I assume if I can be bothered to stray a bit from gate 15 there is possibly even a better lounge to explore.
You're BA gold so you can also do that in any class of travel (there's no CCR or Doha-style arrangement in Hong Kong; the CX F lounges are open to all Emeralds).

It is worth the walk, though.
Pascoe, Grande Annee and LHR FLYER like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
you can get the transit out towards the pier which saves some walking. coming back to the BA gate is walking only tho.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:57 am
Original Poster

I am normally very very lazy when it comes to those lounges, partly because I often end up having a team dinner in Kowloon before flying, so I tend not to rock up there as early as I might at 'home base' (where I may try and get a bit of work done before wheels up). And partly because, location wise in what is quite a big terminal, they're just sooooo handily placed for those LHR departure gates.

But on this occasion if I get a chance I'll try and take one for the team
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:04 am

LHR >> HKG >> LHR

Out in J, back in F (usual thing - our corp travel agent dipped into his box of tricks and found some magic pixie dust - I don't ask and he rarely tells).

It'll be the first J trip I've done which should have the full 'new CW' service (I did JFK last year just as they trialled it so only the food and some other peripheral stuff was updated at that point, and since then I've been flat out on shorthaul stuff).

So I will now be very interested in just how different the feel is between J and F. I am flying BA31/32 so it's the big bus both ways. So a genuine like for like comparison (and plenty of time on the flight in which to do this comparison).

Additionally I've never flown F back from HKG - only outwards. So I assume if I can be bothered to stray a bit from gate 15 there is possibly even a better lounge to explore.

I'll report back on this thread what my impression is - I didn't want to add it to the main 'new CW' thread, as I am specifically interested in whether it's nibbling at the heels of F, and where next for that product if so. However mods if you feel strongly that this needs to be rolled up into the other thread then fair enough.
I presume that an upgrade to the F soft product is in the works. I also presume that an upgrade to the F hard product will come (especially if the new J hard product is a big improvement - and even more so if the new J hard product features doors on seats). I think they should roll out the soft product upgrade sooner rather than later, with the hard product upgrade to follow, as they have done for J.

I am sure I recall a mention somewhere that BA is contemplating a lounge to plane service, a la AF and LH. Does anyone else recall that?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Originally Posted by Wapps68
I presume that an upgrade to the F soft product is in the works.
I'm helping a company which has been invited to supply premium products for F which was a few years ahead of when we expected the next tender, so something is certainly happening...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

I'm actually not a hugely demanding user, so I am probably undeserving of the opportunity to test this stuff out from time to time.......

Nevertheless...........
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold

LHR >> HKG >> LHR

Your agent may have used a free F upgrade that comes with a J ticket in class J,C,D or R (but not I). This promotion is often run outside the main sales periods.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I am normally very very lazy when it comes to those lounges, partly because I often end up having a team dinner in Kowloon before flying, so I tend not to rock up there as early as I might at 'home base' (where I may try and get a bit of work done before wheels up). And partly because, location wise in what is quite a big terminal, they're just sooooo handily placed for those LHR departure gates.

But on this occasion if I get a chance I'll try and take one for the team
As flying in F makes no difference to which lounges you can use, logically there's an argument for doing the lounge exploration on an occasion when you're not then flying in F. If you're planning to avail yourself of the onboard service in F, it'll be a bit spoiled if you've already been lounge hopping and trying all of the various refreshments available. In contrast, if you do that before flying in J, you can then go straight to sleep or otherwise ignore the onboard service.

However, if your normal timing means that you don't often get the chance but you do on this occasion, then clearly that is an argument for doing the lounge hopping this time. I "suffer" from a similar problem: after a visit to Hong Kong, even a short one, eating is about the last thing I feel like doing when I get to the airport to fly back to London.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
For a moment I thought I had in Upgrade coming my way

ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
The Pier is a lovely lounge if you have time. I really do not like the QF lounge at HKG
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
The Pier is a lovely lounge if you have time. I really do not like the QF lounge at HKG
I sometimes prefer the QF lounge and its counter service at HKG for cocktails to the Pier F if the QF lounge is quiet.

A better option for cocktails, if it’s not overrun, is the main Centurion Lounge where there is a far wider selection of spirits than any other lounge, and offers a counter bar service. The separate lounge-within-a-lounge inner sanctum Centurion card holder section has only one thing going for it, and that’s exclusivity: it’s not unusual to be the only person in there, but it totally lacks atmosphere.

Having said all that, the Pier F remains my favourite overall. Wing F is nice enough, even good enough for Angelina Jolie and her family entourage whom I sat next to there a couple of years ago. If you’re looking for a somewhat hedonistic pleasure, and have time, a deep indulging bath in one of the cabanas hits the spot, although I can’t guarantee the offer of a personal back scrub by me mate Angelina.

smokie36 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
im the opposite
i really didnt get the CX. lounges, last time I was there; I was in the J lounges which were like rammed BA lounges at LHR ; you could see into the F lounge and it looked marginally better (think this was the wing at the low gate numbers)

the QF lounge is cool! And quiet
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by allturnleft

im the opposite
i really didnt get the CX. lounges, last time I was there; I was in the J lounges which were like rammed BA lounges at LHR ; you could see into the F lounge and it looked marginally better (think this was the wing at the low gate numbers)

the QF lounge is cool! And quiet
The Pier was not overly busy at all before my BA flight back last year.
DeathSlam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.