Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Did BA serve hot breakfasts on short haul flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did BA serve hot breakfasts on short haul flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Back in the 80's it was branded Super Shuttle and they served a very fine breakfast up to EDI. All one class usually on 757s. They had competition from BCal back then so had to make an effort. Not sure if BMI were also on the route (or even Dan Air?).
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Just a reality Check -- The average one way Shuttle fare MAN-LON in the late 80 was 75 Quid which in todays money is almost 300.
Back in the good old days MAN-LHR-MAN was Ł2 ten shillings on a Viscount or Vanguard.That was of course BEA. The hot breakfasts on the Tridents were outstanding,but the best was BCAL LGW-GUT.Probably even before our lovely Pucci's day
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:00 pm

Even as recent as 2007 I remember having a full English on the EDI-LCY morning flight. Definitely had many full hot meals morning, noon and night on the LHR-ABZ in the 90s.

BMI had great bacon rolls. IIRC there were more like wraps or something. Can't remember exactly it was so long ago, but they were very tasty.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I used to rather enjoy my bi-weekly full English en route to BHD, almost as much as the lemon melts and wine on the way back.

But apparently I was surveyed and was happy to pay for something better quality out of my own pocket so here we are...

(actually I thought the breakfast would have benefitted from some baked beans, but I had to settle for sneaking a sachet of ketchup onboard)
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
- OP how did it taste?
Didn't touch the sausage tbh, the egg and potato was terrible but the OH was hungry and she gobbled hers and mine- but she didn't touch the sausage either :-)
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:21 pm

Back in the seventies there was a substantial cooked breakfast on morning flights from GLA to LHR. As the aircraft was a Vanguard there was always comfortable time to eat it, although flight itself was sometimes a bit bumpier than we are used to today.
rapidex likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:12 am

Just a reality Check -- The average one way Shuttle fare MAN-LON in the late 80 was 75 Quid which in todays money is almost 300.
No it's not. Ł75 in '86 is Ł209 in 2017.

In '89 it's now Ł177 in 2017.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes.....I'd rather pay less for my ticket.
Believe it or not although I loved it the fry up did come in for much criticism as well.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes.....I'd rather pay less for my ticket.
Believe it or not although I loved it the fry up did come in for much criticism as well.
You would be the expert on dodgy sausages though
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
and it wasn't only breakfast flights that got a hot meal. Evening flights all had a hot meal too for years.

And you could get APEX tickets for a good price up to 2 weeks in advance. I think you had to stay away a Saturday night
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
When I started flying EDI-LHR back in the mid-1990s the domestic breakfast was massive.

You got the hot element with bacon, eggs, sausage, tomato, shrooms, plus a big yoghurt pot, corn flakes and jam a marmalade in glass jars, and bread rolls.

One evening flights they managed to serve a hot meal plus a separate drinks run before. Mind you they had more crew in those days.

Once the low costs started the food started shrinking - hot evening meals became salads. Then became a packet of crisps.

Only the smaller hot breakfast remaind a constant from the early 2000s till BOB came along.
The one downside of the full breakfast was the first flight on a Monday morning when feeling a bit under the weather🍺.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
BA's breakfast sausages are a highlight of the service.

Off topic I suppose but I had the best in flight fry up ever on a LHR-BKK a couple of years ago.

Its the one meal BA has gotten right imho.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I often had the choice so would take the MAN-LGW instead of the LHR option simply because the slightly longer serving window made for a more relaxed breakfast experience. Also a 737-400 as against a max-pax 757.
I used to commute using a little airline called Gill Air and they also served a hot breakfast out of NCL to MAN. Flying time was 35 minutes but it was heavy going crossing the Pennines in a non-pressurized Shorts. After a particularly heavy flight one autumn evening I recall the stewardess walking off swearing she would never get back on 'that thing'. I think the MAN pax were given train tickets to the North East.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
and it wasn't only breakfast flights that got a hot meal. Evening flights all had a hot meal too for years.

And you could get APEX tickets for a good price up to 2 weeks in advance. I think you had to stay away a Saturday night
Yeah - I was doing the trip several times a week back then and the travel agent was very clever with the tickets. So when I was travelling down on a Monday I’d actually be flying the return portion of a ticket.

If if you just walked into the airport and tried to use a “One Shot” card it cost a fortune.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I used to do day returns from LHR to EDI once a week in the late 80s early 90s. BA was originally pretty shocking with its Shuttle service (no service, supposedly a back up plane if the original was full but mysteriously the back up never materialised). British Midland, as it was then called, started competing on service (hot breakfast, lunch, dinner, cream tea etc.) and within months BA had added all that to the Shuttle - and dropped the back up plane. My colleagues and I were so delighted when BD started competing that we remained loyal to them until the end. And, of course, when the end came, BA cut the service.
smokie36 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.