Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Did BA serve hot breakfasts on short haul flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did BA serve hot breakfasts on short haul flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Worcester
I had breakfast served prior to take off on a very delayed flight once where we were sitting on the apron for several hours.
Quite, it was usually fog at LHR/LGW and because the flights were so short the food was re-heated whilst passengers were boarding. Rather than waste it the crew would serve breakfast if the delay was going to be at least an hour - which was often on the earlier flights.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Didnt they used to serve a hot evening meal on the scottish flights
I seem to remember the outrage when they subbed the shepherds pie for sandwiches
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Didnt they used to serve a hot evening meal on the scottish flights
I seem to remember the outrage when they subbed the shepherds pie for sandwiches
Absolutely did, then the hot food became a salad plate but still a full meal, then crisps and birdseed and now Percy Pig's. Progress in a nutshell.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Is it me or does the food in the original post look absolutely horrible?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by Mike P

Nope that sausage in particular looks disgusting and anemic but I suppose it might've actually tasted half decent - OP how did it taste?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Mike P
I agree, it does look absolutely horrible. I rather not have any breakfast if that's what they put in front of you
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Nope that sausage in particular looks disgusting and anemic but I suppose it might've actually tasted half decent - OP how did it taste?
I flew Air China from LHR to BJS and back in economy many years ago. The standard of food was the same back then as it looks now. Fun experience though.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by DazMan
BA EDI/LCY yesterday was Bacon Roll with HP Sauce or Ketchup. 'Light' wasn't an option
Light/healthy option is fruit salad and a yogurt, catered to 20%. There's also a vegetarian option of a small cheese and tomato panini, catered to 10%.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:37 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
I can remember a hot breakfast on an ATP BHD-GLA back about 2003 ish. Flying time of 25 mins, the trolleys must have been out before the gear even retracted!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
When I started flying EDI-LHR back in the mid-1990s the domestic breakfast was massive.

You got the hot element with bacon, eggs, sausage, tomato, shrooms, plus a big yoghurt pot, corn flakes and jam a marmalade in glass jars, and bread rolls.

One evening flights they managed to serve a hot meal plus a separate drinks run before. Mind you they had more crew in those days.

Once the low costs started the food started shrinking - hot evening meals became salads. Then became a packet of crisps.

Only the smaller hot breakfast remaind a constant from the early 2000s till BOB came along.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: TK M&S, BAEC, EK
I remember those shuttle breakfasts flying up to Glasgow from Heathrow in the late 90s -those trays were pretty big and had a decent sized breakfast on them. The hot lunches on the midday flights were good too. In fact, I seem to remember the catering was a lot more substantial than that provided on short haul European flights. However, I suppose it was necessary to match British Midland's catering on those same shuttle routes.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by DazMan
BA EDI/LCY yesterday was Bacon Roll with HP Sauce or Ketchup. 'Light' wasn't an option
Course it was: no ketchup! 😀
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
In CE it is, of course, standard. However, we were impressed last December (JER-LGW) when ...
"With only 4 rows of CE, and 10 pax, the CSD kindly passed among us offering a pre-departure cup of tea! "
I believe a couple of pax took advantage of the offer!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:33 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Just a reality Check -- The average one way Shuttle fare MAN-LON in the late 80 was 75 Quid which in todays money is almost 300.
ukgooner likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
When I started flying EDI-LHR back in the mid-1990s the domestic breakfast was massive.

You got the hot element with bacon, eggs, sausage, tomato, shrooms, plus a big yoghurt pot, corn flakes and jam a marmalade in glass jars, and bread rolls.

One evening flights they managed to serve a hot meal plus a separate drinks run before. Mind you they had more crew in those days.

Once the low costs started the food started shrinking - hot evening meals became salads. Then became a packet of crisps.

Only the smaller hot breakfast remaind a constant from the early 2000s till BOB came along.
Quite so - and it was hard to pay less than Ł200 one way.

You can buy an awful lot of food for the savings these days - though I appreciate the top priced tickets are still the same price, though you are in CE now. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.