‘Buzzword bingo’ played by BA pilots

Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:32 am

My favourite pilot PA was on FI after a go-around at KEF. “Ladies and gentleman, we decided that our landing approach was not in accordance with our usual high standards here at Icelandair so we’ve decided to have another try.”
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:11 am

I was on a DL CRJ at Detroit which boarded, closed doors, pulled away from the gate, taxied in the wrong direction for the entire length of the terminal away from the runways, taxied back the entire length in the right direction, stops at the runway then says were now number 1 for takeoff and just departs anyway.

I didn't see any another planes with similar movements.

I can't think of any other reason except "pilot wants to go for a drive?"
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:12 am

I can’t remember his name for the life of me at the moment, but there is one brilliant BA pilot whom i’ve had returning from Nice twice in recent times.

Apparently he is famous for delivering his French pre flight announcements standing at the front of CE the A320/321 in English and then followed by the same announcement in flawless French. I can’t remember the content, but was certianly above and beyond the standard announcement experience.

He then stood there at the end of the flight while everyone complemented his linguistic abilities.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Speedbird being BA's Callsign I am guessing they were confused between speaking to ATC and the PA lol
It's even funnier when they say "Speedbird" because what they're saying was intended for ATC. But they've pressed the wrong button.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
A few years ago, a Jet2 GLA-FCO ended with something like "Welcome to Rome, where it is a beautiful, sunny 30C. I'm sure many of you are here on leisure, so enjoy this wonderful city. But before you do, remember.....you're Scottish. So wear sunscreen!"
Well the airline do always say that passenger safety is their top priority and a really nasty sunburn does statistically significantly increase the odds of skin cancer. So good job by the pilot there.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Ona recent BA Madeira flight the CC were talking through the safety announcement and when she got to the part where she says 'Your life jacket has a light and a whistle, for attracting the attention of any passing fishermen'. This raised a few chuckles.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's even funnier when they say "Speedbird" because what they're saying was intended for ATC. But they've pressed the wrong button.
Not always! I was rather amused late last year on a SYD-SIN when the captain in his opening announcement said something along the lines of "Welcome on board this British Airways operated Flying Speedbird Boeing 777-300 to Singapore"
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Joshm300
He then stood there at the end of the flight while everyone complemented his linguistic abilities.
It's a damning indictment of British education that it was even noteworthy!
dodgeflyer and rossmacd like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Is this a serious thread?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Because sometimes the departure time is brought forward, or the aircraft is flown rather faster than normal, and you end up being not very late at all.
Yes I know, very occasionally it does happen, but my point is it's needlessly disingenuous to let the bad news trickle out slowly, laced with copious amount of BS, when in actual fact they knew exactly what time the slot was long before any passengers boarded. Why not just start off by saying that there is a slot delay of 45 minutes, and in the unlikely event that it improves we'll get back to you. Treat passengers like adults.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Joshm300
I can’t remember his name for the life of me at the moment, but there is one brilliant BA pilot whom i’ve had returning from Nice twice in recent times.

Apparently he is famous for delivering his French pre flight announcements standing at the front of CE the A320/321 in English and then followed by the same announcement in flawless French. I can’t remember the content, but was certianly above and beyond the standard announcement experience.

I think I may have had the same pilot one night LHR - GLA who when we were delayed stood at the front and did his announcements to the plane in a very laid back manner.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Cw novice
I think I may have had the same pilot one night LHR - GLA who when we were delayed stood at the front and did his announcements to the plane in a very laid back manner.
Did he do the announcement in fluent Glaswegian as well?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by fredc84
Is this a serious thread?
Sure. Wanna join?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Best i ever had was a Czech Airlines pilot out of Prague going back to Frankfurt. Front gear just about off the ground when suddenly the engines try to rip themselves off the wing mounts going into full reverse thrust, we all get flung forward in our seats and the plane literally bounces I think three times it was( it was many years ago). Whole plane even the CC with white faces and pilot comes over the PA as calm as anything.

"Every so sorry about that ladies and gentlemen just as we were about to take to the air we had an alarm tell us one of the over wing doors wasn't locked correctly so we decided it probably wasn't to take to the skies. We'll be taxing back to the terminal to get engineers to check it"

As it later turned out I was sat in the seat next to said faulty door so I was fine with that. How they weren't committed to the take off I have no idea and we did end up needing a tug as he had no runway left to manoeuvre on. Im guessing they decided they could just about brake in time without going off the end and in their judgement it was the safer option. I dont think i'll forget that takeoff for as long as I live. VS flight deck announcements can be quite amusing on LHR-JFK.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I was doing a YVR-LHR and we did a very long taxi to the far end of the airfield before taking off. As we were (finally) in the queue for takeoff the pilot came on with this announcement:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, as you may have noticed we have completed the first 5 miles of our journey to London Heathrow by road. I can assure you the other 4,723 miles will go by rather quicker."
Woodbinerich likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.