Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Looks like they've started to fix it:
Yesterday LGW - TRN on 21st September was showing £77 in business and £212 in economy!!
Today the fares are back to normal.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:46 am

I keep reading this thread title as 'weird piercing'!
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I keep reading this thread title as 'weird piercing'!
I keep reading it as 'Wired Pricing'!
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
They've fixed the economy fares on the early August one-way LHR-VIE flights I'd been looking at the other day.

No longer only £537 Y fares available, economy fares of £111 upwards now showing.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:41 am

Sometimes with BA flights to Italy from Gatwick the business prices are cheaper than economy
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Huh. I just booked LHR-DUS in August and saw these weird prices.

I booked anyway. Out ET and back in CE, because that was cheaper (£190). Now same flights are £110 in ET both ways....

If this was genuinely a IT mistake, would BA rebook on the cheaper fares?

It doesnt matter a huge deal to me due to it being work travel, but I hate wasting money.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Are you within the 24 hour cooling off period? If not you could try the manifest error argument....
Calchas likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:59 am

Sitting at about 48 hours, so can't use that (I did double-check).

I'll phone the gold line Monday and ask nicely if I have a dead moment.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Up In The Air
Looks like they've started to fix it:
Yesterday LGW - TRN on 21st September was showing £77 in business and £212 in economy!!
Today the fares are back to normal.
I hope you snapped it up.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by atcer28
There is a known issues with BA pricing at the moment due to an IT problem (how unusual) they reckon it will take some time to resolve.
perhaps just time to close BA down for a week put totally new IT in and start from fresh? Clearly the huge off shoring and outsourcing of IT is going really well since everything is working so brilliantly. Lets hope the current set up is nt jerry rigged into one socket like last year’s melt down (supposedly).
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Are you within the 24 hour cooling off period? If not you could try the manifest error argument....
This raises a very (to me at least) interesting question.
Without re-hashing other threads/discussions we have seen many examples of airlines over the years cancelling tickets due to a "manifest" error where the price/booking class was too low. Have we ever seen an airline concede an IT glitch caused a price to be irrationally high. How would a customer argue this, if they have any legal basis to do so?
Genuinely don't know the answer to any of the above, but interested if anyone has anything to add here. It might help the poster on their case they will talk about on Monday as well.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by DFB_london
perhaps just time to close BA down for a week put totally new IT in and start from fresh? Clearly the huge off shoring and outsourcing of IT is going really well since everything is working so brilliantly. Lets hope the current set up is nt jerry rigged into one socket like last year’s melt down (supposedly).
The sort of problems that BA has in its IT world are not ones that can be fixed with a few fresh faces and a week. While I am frequently frustrated that things are not perfect, I do have a lot of respect for them for keeping everything running as well as it does, especially considering the huge number of systems integrations required. ​​​​

Not to mention that the airline industry is literally famous for having hard to integrate legacy systems.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Whats happening in AMS on the 17th/18th July???

as per this thread I suspect there’s a pricing anomaly somewhere.. I’m sure someone will merge threads and amend title for all to see.
And the week before, I'm flying out both weeks. I called and said I had a problem with the page, mentioned price matching Opodo and got a normal fare.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
This raises a very (to me at least) interesting question.
Without re-hashing other threads/discussions we have seen many examples of airlines over the years cancelling tickets due to a "manifest" error where the price/booking class was too low. Have we ever seen an airline concede an IT glitch caused a price to be irrationally high. How would a customer argue this, if they have any legal basis to do so?
The basis would be paying one particular fare on day1 and then the fare falls significantly a few days later due to something that can only be explained as a computer error. A customer would be able to present a variety of examples of this happening and would then use the Consumer Rights Act on the basis of balanced and fair contracts. Clearly if they were affected personally by TLV/DXB then they would be in a better space. The probable complication is that while seemingly these fares were unnecessarily high in isolation, I suspect in context they will be in the usual BA range, albeit at the top end. Unless it was something like a family group and the fare difference was over £100 each, I'm not sure it would be worth the candle. The obvious difference here is that whereas the passenger is free to buy or not buy a ticket, and presumably wouldn't buy something at a manifestly incorrect price, the nature of selling tickets, particularly via agents, means that airlines do end up selling things against their will and better judgement.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The basis would be paying one particular fare on day1 and then the fare falls significantly a few days later due to something that can only be explained as a computer error. A customer would be able to present a variety of examples of this happening and would then use the Consumer Rights Act on the basis of balanced and fair contracts. Clearly if they were affected personally by TLV/DXB then they would be in a better space. The probable complication is that while seemingly these fares were unnecessarily high in isolation, I suspect in context they will be in the usual BA range, albeit at the top end. Unless it was something like a family group and the fare difference was over £100 each, I'm not sure it would be worth the candle. The obvious difference here is that whereas the passenger is free to buy or not buy a ticket, and presumably wouldn't buy something at a manifestly incorrect price, the nature of selling tickets, particularly via agents, means that airlines do end up selling things against their will and better judgement.
Thank you. The cards are very much stacked here, and as you say it's hard to see someone pursuing this in most cases. I can't see a customer service agent conceding anything on this on a call. It does strike me though that the more often the airline pulls the 'manifest error' card on dubious grounds the other way and the more unreliable the IT infrastructure is, the more they open themselves up to a challenge the other way. At the end of the day, airline pricing is highly elastic and often bears little or no relation to the underlying costs of providing the service, so I think it makes it somewhat harder for a customer to establish what a reasonable price is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.