Bumped from my seat

Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by hungry
It’s the fact that I am 6ft7 and I know it’s a gamble getting row 1, but I had it and was looking forward to a plesent flight home. Now it’s going to be miserable.

further, I was in row 2 so the whole thing has made it worse, if they had bumped me back to row 2, fair dos.

And lastly, the fact BA don’t even have the courtesy to tell you or answer my calls when I try and find out, really bad customer service.
Welcome to the world of BA.

Have a look when you board and see who is sat there.

I am sure you will get the full gamut of excuses including the seat was broken but repaired in time for a BA staffer to be say there, or multiple changes or aircraft, or just some "operational need" (translate as someone more important than you). And occasionally there will be a genuine one too such as someone with a disability.

In reality just let it go, you will wind yourself up trying to get to the bottom of it as BA is unlikely to give you a straight or honest answer.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
Myself and my ex had a similar situation a couple of years ago. Reserved the front row of Y for the LHR-JFK leg on an ex-AMS. Were unable to check in online, and when I called, they told me to sort it at AMS. Check in at AMS told me to sort it at LHR. Check in at LHR told me to sort it in the lounge. The lounge told me to sort it at the gate. The gate told me that boarding had already begun, and that people had paid to select those seats now, and might already be in them. Our new seats were in the middle of Y, surrounded by a large, loud family. I got up and spoke to the CSM during boarding, and explained the situation to her, who didn't seem at all surprise that everyone else had made it someone else's problem, and now it was hers. She told us to sit tight until boarding was done, and that she'd see what she could do.

Just after boarding complete, another CC came over, picked us up, and moved us to two seats in W. The CSM had bumped a W pax up to J to make room for us. We were very grateful - just a shame it had taken a day of chasing BA for it to get sorted, eventually.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Operational reasons, no need to question the pilot's family in row 1, move along to your row 5 seats please!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I agree these things can happen for operational reasons or because a VIP shows up last minute, which is totally fine. The problem I usually have with BA is the way the manage communications and the illogical way they rebook you. They could show a little more effort IMO.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by armouredant
Were unable to check in online, and when I called, they told me to sort it at AMS. Check in at AMS told me to sort it at LHR. Check in at LHR told me to sort it in the lounge. The lounge told me to sort it at the gate. The gate told me that boarding had already begun, and that people had paid to select those seats now, and might already be in them. Our new seats were in the middle of Y, surrounded by a large, loud family. I got up and spoke to the CSM during boarding, and explained the situation to her, who didn't seem at all surprise that everyone else had made it someone else's problem, and now it was hers.
Isn't this SOP on BA? A type of conflict avoidance if you like. Why sort a problem out if you can pass the buck to someone else and make it their problem?

Just like the issue of hand baggage, why challenge people with excessive baggage when it can be left for the CC to sort out?
Cotumely likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:49 am

Trigger warning: another faecal post.

I once witnessed a man place a plastic turd on his reassigned seat, because he'd been bumped from his preferred choice. I assume he flew a lot, and carried around this prop for such purposes.

He fake-jumped into the aisle, whilst pointing at it, and told CC that he couldn't possibly sit in his reassigned seat (because turd).

The colour drained from CC's face until CSM turned up to see what was going on. CSM appeared to recognize, with an anguished smile, the plastic-turder. My how we laughed as he was deplaned.*

*That's my fantasy ending. Of course he wasn't deplaned
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
It’s the fact that I am 6ft7 and I know it’s a gamble getting row 1, but I had it and was looking forward to a plesent flight home. Now it’s going to be miserable.

As a fellow member of the 6ft7 club, (well, i'm 1/2 an inch behind you) my commiserations.

But you've backed up my hypothesis that Y with Emergency Exit is infinitely preferable & less risky to Club Europe in almost every scenario. Of course BA won't care as you're getting what you paid for, and extra leg room up front is not something you pay for anymore.

You've every right to be annoyed, but I don't see how it can be resolved, so no point getting angry.
simonrp84 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:12 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
As a fellow member of the 6ft7 club, (well, i'm 1/2 an inch behind you) my commiserations.

But you've backed up my hypothesis that Y with Emergency Exit is infinitely preferable & less risky to Club Europe in almost every scenario. Of course BA won't care as you're getting what you paid for, and extra leg room up front is not something you pay for anymore.

You've every right to be annoyed, but I don't see how it can be resolved, so no point getting angry.
Another 6’6” flyer here. Agree only row 1 is comfortable especially on a four hour flight. I also agree about exit seats but I’ve also fallen foul of the aircraft swap and finished up 1 row out. On the ALC flight tomorrow hope I’ve still got 1C
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
It happened on my flight on Monday LGW-AGP. I overheard a couple at chec-in complaining thatt on their app they had 1D and 1F as seats and now they have 3A and 3C. This probably happens more often with LGW flights due to there only being two seats in row 1 on the G-GATx planes.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:22 am

I don't want really want to criticise the OP but it clearly states that seats may be changed for opperational reasons. The perception that it is 'my seat' is wrong, even if you've paid for it. It's irritating but it doesn't happen all that often and is something that certainly isn't the end of the world. Also, I'm not 6' 7" but I've found that I can stretch my legs better when not say in a bulkhead seat as you can actually stretch your feet under the seat in front. That just my preference though
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by mikeday1983
Also, I'm not 6' 7" but I've found that I can stretch my legs better when not say in a bulkhead seat as you can actually stretch your feet under the seat in front. That just my preference though
Yeh, I often hear that, but the issue when you're above a certain height is that your legs don't actually fold to be able to stretch under the seat the seat in front. If i'm in a normal BA Y seat, my knees are jammed into the seat table with my feet not touching the floor. Bulkhead is therefore almost always better. I'm used to it, and much longer flights though, but Emergency Exit then Bulkhead are almost always better than any other seat for people once they reach a certain height.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:15 am

The suspense is killing me...
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
The suspense is killing me...

I hope its not a midget

Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
Does it really matter?
It matters that folk can post their questions on the forum without being ‘pounced on’ by one of the regulars with curt, dismissive comments after like 5 minutes of creating their thread.

Several recent examples refer.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Got to airport check in woman was really rude, she said it’s not her problem I have to call BA.

got to lounge called silver line got someone in India, explained the whole scenario, he nearly understood and asked what assistance I need? Then just told me the flight is slightly delayed, and to ask someone in the airport about my seats !!!!

its shocking customer service.
It's not just any bad customer service, its BA bad customer service...its a premium level of bad!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.