Bumped from my seat

Old Jun 27, 18, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by hungry View Post
Itís the fact that I am 6ft7 and I know itís a gamble getting row 1, but I had it and was looking forward to a plesent flight home. Now itís going to be miserable.

further, I was in row 2 so the whole thing has made it worse, if they had bumped me back to row 2, fair dos.

And lastly, the fact BA donít even have the courtesy to tell you or answer my calls when I try and find out, really bad customer service.
Wander back and check the exit rows, in my experience they're better than CE especially if it's all about legroom.
Old Jun 27, 18, 5:36 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
The great thing about premium airlines like Easyjet and Ryanair is that you can pay for your seat allocation and the likelihood of being shifted is significantly less than with that budget airline BA.... did I get those airline names mixed up?
Old Jun 27, 18, 5:37 am

Only thing I can say is if you go to the flight with the express view you will not enjoy it, then you wont.
What is it 2hours?
In the big wide world its hardly a death sentence, yes its annoying that you didn't get your originally allocated seats, but is you keep stressing about it, the only person you will put pressure on is yourself.
Old Jun 27, 18, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Don't be so hard on yourself, OP I know these things can be annoying...and suppose they can work themselves out in a number of ways. My understanding is that BA now send an email about seat changes...

In the days before I was introduced to FlyerTalk, I had been bumped from 62A to a middle lower deck seat without knowing, and only realised on check in. It was annoying, and nothing could be done to get me a seat on the upper deck. The story ended up with my new seat table being at such an angle there was no way of getting any work done or eating. After a nice conversation with the CSD during boarding they gave me the choice of 1A and K - cue, my first thread on FT

Back on topic, it does seem the Gatwick fleet is more prone to these changes, than elsewhere.
Old Jun 27, 18, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Before CE was introduced on domestic flights, I was flying LHR - ABZ, booked in row 3 for myself and OH. Got to gate and told we'd been reassigned to row 27 for weight-distribution reasons (Cheek! I'm not that heavy!). Row 3 was empty when I got on board, had a word with the CSM, and was allowed to sit in row 3. Surprisingly we didn't crash.
Old Jun 27, 18, 6:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I admit to not finding it very amusing to be bumped from row 1F (or maybe 2F on G-Gatx, I can't remember) to the window seat in row 5. I only noticed at check-in that this has happened and queried it. They had no aisle seat (I prefer the window seat in row 1 and aisle seat elsewhere) left.

The check-in agent took it upon himself to sort it out although I wasn't going to insist. He somehow got my original seat back for me.

It turned out to be somewhat of a VIP (shall remain nameless) who bumped me and I bumped back...

This was also at LGW.
HIDDY and debster369 like this.
Old Jun 27, 18, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirBnb 700x Platinum, AC (never again)
Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
But you've backed up my hypothesis that Y with Emergency Exit is infinitely preferable & less risky to Club Europe in almost every scenario.
This is my choice. I actually loath getting CE if I am doing a connecting LH itinerary, as I miss the exit row.
Fly Y, get the cost savings and reap the seating benefits of status.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jun 27, 18, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
One of the "attractions" of CE is the food and drink - I know, but there you go. In my experience of LGW flights, the returns will have no champagne or gin left by row 3, never mind a choice of meal - it'll be the veggie sushi stuff - so I wouldn't like to be bumped past row 2.
Old Jun 27, 18, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by lavajava View Post
Don't be so hard on yourself, OP .
Thanks Gillian

Action!
Old Jun 27, 18, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Solid Gold Dancer
I'm tall and have had this happen to me. It's been due to equipment change in my case, and they just throw people out of their seats, leaving them available to be snatched up by other passengers. If you're an elite, then you've been denied the benefit of your free advance seat selection. In any case, it's rude treatment by BA.
Old Jun 27, 18, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Doesn't a Premier cardholder have the ability to bump anyone out of their assigned seat?
Old Jun 27, 18, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
To me, it does matter... .

A while back on a TATL Mrs CKBA and myself were in CW - 7A/B and managed to move up to 1J/K, only then to be reassigned to 11B/D. I did complain online and had a phone call from BA from a very apologetic customer relations person... .
tigertanaka likes this.
Old Jun 27, 18, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Doesn't a Premier cardholder have the ability to bump anyone out of their assigned seat?
Apart from balancing issues (rare), equipment changes (fairly common), damaged seats (happens) or the urgent need to sit children with a parent (but not in row 1), I can't see why BA (or any airline) should ever allow their staff to move from pre-booked seats without explanation. Even if you are a Premier, a member of the Royal Family or the Chairman of IAG you should have to take what is left from the seat inventory at the time.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Jun 27, 18, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by tigertanaka View Post
I can't see why BA (or any airline) should ever allow their staff to move from pre-booked seats without explanation.
Because it would result in a significant reduction in threads posted on FT
Cotumely likes this.
Old Jun 27, 18, 8:14 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by YacozA View Post
This is my choice. I actually loath getting CE if I am doing a connecting LH itinerary, as I miss the exit row.
Fly Y, get the cost savings and reap the seating benefits of status.
Or my recent first TATL F which was only allowed to combine with domestic Y ("nearest equivalent") thus allowing me to select an exit row and get an empty middle seat.

Search this Thread