Would You Book This?

Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Would You Book This?

Considering INV-ORD-INV in CW in September at £1300.

Would you be happy to book AA ORD-MCO-ORD separately?

No problem outbound as it's a night-stop in ORD, but return arrives ORD at 1223 and ORD-LHR leaves at 1705.

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by w3andw4d

No problem outbound as it's a night-stop in ORD, but return arrives ORD at 1223 and ORD-LHR leaves at 1705.

For the fact AA protect oneworld connections (even on separate reservations) to final destination, I wouldn't have an issue with the return journey. You've also left ample connection time to make the transfer comfortably should anything go wrong.

Outbound also for the fact the connection to Florida is the next day. I'd be comfortable to book that itinerary.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
remember AA won't check bags through to BA on separate tickets.

Also AA have a history of lots of schedule changes so whilst I would book it I'd be looking at the booking on a Monday to see if it has changed - AA do schedule changes on a weekend.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
I wouldn't bat an eyelid and would book this. I once booked a much shorter connection LHR - FRA - XXX on separate tickets - I made it by the skin of my teeth - but I think you can rest easy here.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
IME, AA is very flexible and accommodating in case of disruptions/cancellations/time changes.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to make those two reservations.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by charlieboy77
For the fact AA protect oneworld connections (even on separate reservations) to final destination, I wouldn't have an issue with the return journey.
They removed that protection policy a couple of years ago.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by pauldb

​​​​​​Have they? I read here very recently (and questioned it) whether it was still a thing and apparently it is?
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by pauldb

They removed it from the website, but the policy still exists.
1Aturnleft and swingaling like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Yes. I have booked side trips in different occasions, with kids too. As long as you plan ahead the stopovers/layovers times with worst cases scenario in mind, no problem

Maybe, for me, the return time is a bit too tight. But I'm one that usually likes to play safe
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I wouldn't have any problem booking that.

Note:
I have not had issues with AA through-checking baggage, only BA. AA seem to be more flexible on this. It's short-checking that they usually refuse.
AA do protect across tickets, not just AA but also OneWorld. I last experienced this only about 8 weeks ago.
You may want to check out the AA 787 LHR-ORD, depending on if BA are running the 380 on your dates.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Don't forget that AA won't check your bag through to BA on the return, so you will have to go landside, collect it, and then take the shuttle bus over to T5 before checking it in again and going through security. I don't have any experience with the reliability of the train replacement bus between terminals at ORD, perhaps that's worth checking out in one of the other destination specific forums of FT.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The biggest risk is weather delays and your MCO to ORD flight is early in the day and less likely to suffer from the usual Florida weather that become more problematic in fhe afternoon. I’d go for it.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I wouldn't have any problem booking that.

Note:
I have not had issues with AA through-checking baggage, only BA. AA seem to be more flexible on this. It's short-checking that they usually refuse.
AA do protect across tickets, not just AA but also OneWorld. I last experienced this only about 8 weeks ago.
You may want to check out the AA 787 LHR-ORD, depending on if BA are running the 380 on your dates.
Thanks so much for all your great responses. Really helpful!

It's a 380 outbound and 744 inbound, a good all round combination I suppose?

Developing this further, would you spend 48000 avios to reduce the TATL by £330 for 3 passengers, making it £1190? (I have approx. 130000 in the avios bank).
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks so much for all your great responses. Really helpful!

It's a 380 outbound and 744 inbound, a good all round combination I suppose?

Developing this further, would you spend 48000 avios to reduce the TATL by £330 for 3 passengers, making it £1190? (I have approx. 130000 in the avios bank).
No. Effectively 0.6875p for each Avios. Whilst each to their own that’s a poor use.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA does rebook across AA-AA and AA-OW tickets. But, one is on one's own for hotels and meals. However, it will not check bags across tickets, even its own. Thus, OP will need to exit security at ORD, retrieve his bags, drag them to BA and check them in, then clear security and head to his departure gate. Would allow a solid 3 hours+ for this at ORD.

Rebooking is solid, but does mean that during high season, it may be a good long wait and in poor seats, so to be avoided unless a real need arises.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.