FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Changed date & flight - ticket re-issued but ticket no. unchanged (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1916473-changed-date-flight-ticket-re-issued-but-ticket-no-unchanged.html)

AJLondon Jun 26, 2018 4:18 am

Changed date & flight - ticket re-issued but ticket no. unchanged

So I made an avios booking earlier today, and then realized (within 5 minutes!) that I had messed up the date by a day. Thankfully availability was still there on the correct date, albeit on an earlier flight. Tried changing it online, but it wanted to charge me an "amendment fee" even though I was well within the 24 hours.

So a quick call with a wonderful chap at youfirst, and they changed the flight to the desired date and flight, and he told me ticket would be re-issued and sent across in a few hours. No charge as it was within 24 hours. ^

Now I received the email with the "new" ticket (super quickly in about 15 minutes after finishing the call with youfirst!) and it shows the correct new flights etc, but the ticket number is identical to the earlier booking with the old flight.

Has this been re-issued correctly and should I be worried about this? Shouldn't the ticket number typically change in a situation like this?

Sam Bee Jun 26, 2018 4:30 am

No - that's fine. New ticket numbers would only happen if cancelled and completely rebooked on a new PNR.

An amendment / reissue would normally be on the same tickets. Just the same as if you amended your return flights when you were overseas. Easiest and most practical solution.

KARFA Jun 26, 2018 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee (Post 29907467)
No - that's fine. New ticket numbers would only happen if cancelled and completely rebooked on a new PNR..

An amendment / reissue would normally be on the same tickets. Just the same as if you amended your return flights when you were overseas. Easiest and most practical solution.

That doesn't seem correct? Whenever I have a change to a booking (change flights/dates/POUG/UuA etc) I get a "your booking has changed email" and a new ticket number. This is my experience for several years now tbh - and those of us who used to use myflights will be very familiar with watching for the ticket number change when doing changes.

I happen to have an example where I booked a flight on a basic fare (received first ticket number), then at a later date took a POUG (received a new ticket number, same PNR), then have just done a change to an earlier flight on that route (receive yet another ticket number, same PNR). The ticket was reissued for each change and every time it was a new ticket number.

For the OP's situation if the ticket had been issued prior to doing the change I would have expected the change of flight to require a reissued ticket with a new ticket number, the PNR would remain the same. The only thing I can think of is as the change was done in the first 24 hours perhaps there is some reason a ticket would not be reissued?

AJLondon Jun 26, 2018 4:46 am

My experience matches yours, KARFA.

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29907491)
For the OP's situation if the ticket had been issued prior to doing the change I would have expected the change of flight to require a reissued ticket with a new ticket number, the PNR would remain the same. The only thing I can think of is as the change was done in the first 24 hours perhaps there is some reason a ticket would not be reissued?

Ticket had definitely been issued prior to change. I have two "e-ticket receipt" emails in my inbox. The emails have the different flights/dates in the booking but the exact same ticket number. Hence my concern.

Connectionsperson Jun 26, 2018 4:52 am

If it’s same destination/return.. just a change of date. Then the ticket has just been revalidated. Same ticket number.

KARFA Jun 26, 2018 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Connectionsperson (Post 29907505)
If it’s same destination/return.. just a change of date. Then the ticket has just been revalidated. Same ticket number.

thanks. I think you may be right and it’s been revalidated rather than reissued in this case. I rarely see revalidations for changes with BA. Is there a reason you may choose the former over the latter?

It seems based on my experience even when it is same flights & routes just on a different date I get a reissued ticket.

AJLondon Jun 26, 2018 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Connectionsperson (Post 29907505)

Thanks Connectionsperson. Same destination and route. But different date and different flight number.

SK AAR Jun 26, 2018 5:02 am

Most agents will reissue the ticket when any changes are made (this is very common) but it is not necessary in many situations, i.e. date changes where only revalidation is needed. In your situation it appears that the agent you talked to knew that revalidation was sufficient - that is why you see an unchanged ticket No.

Andriyko Jun 26, 2018 6:36 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29907521)

It seems based on my experience even when it is same flights & routes just on a different date I get a reissued ticket.

A reissue will be required when the booking class changes. A ticket can be re-validated when there are no changes to the routing and booking class.

fruitcage Jun 26, 2018 9:01 am

As others have said, this is almost certainly fine.
A quick check on Amadeus with classic checkmytrip
https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
would confirm this.