BA 0208, food and beverage service.

Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Sverigecruiser
I understand that but I should not spend all that money just to be able to sleep better.
Then what are you spending it for? Some food of variably quantity, free middle-of-the-road booze, and a pre-programmed entertainment device? There are very few airline experiences in the world that are worth staying awake for in and of itself (yes, I have forced myself to stay awake on a 2am QR F flight to enjoy the caviar - though still ditching the rest of the meal service to sleep). BA J is certainly not one of them. Premium class travel to me is all about getting to the destination more relaxed and rested (or if work is required, having a comfortable space to do it in).
rossmacd and Globaliser like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I understand that but I should not spend all that money just to be able to sleep better.
Sleeping better (and therefore being able to function better on arrival, as Cymro says) is, for most people, one of the big reasons for spending the money on business class. One cause of the high prices for business class is that the beds take up a lot of real estate on the aircraft, and it's the beds which have revolutionised business class more than anything else.

You see the ultimate expression of this on the shorter overnight flights back from the US east coast, eg from JFK: the Sleeper Service. The idea is that you eat in the airport, and as many minutes as possible of the actual flight are devoted to a sleeping environment (including a much reduced onboard meal service), with breakfast available in the airport in London. The reason it's continued for so long is because many passengers want precisely this, and are prepared to pay big money for it.

In contrast, if you're going to be up all night anyway, you might as well save your money and sit in an economy seat watching the TV.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:03 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by sts603
Soft conversation during the meal service on a longer TATL is probably fine but I for one would consider if very rude if you spoke loud enough after that to disturb someone sleeping. At best you'd get a glare. At worst, you'd get cursed at.

Generally, I'm of the mind that long haul flights aren't really for conversation. My wife and I never have extended conversations during the cruise of a long haul flight.
this is so bizzare, i talk to my seat mate (if i have one) on red eyes all the time. domestic, international, economy, pe, business. it's mass transportation, and noise cancelling earbuds are an accessible thing even for the most chintziest of travelers. have never ever in my life thoughtthere's a social contract regarding talking on redeyes

Originally Posted by Globaliser
In contrast, if you're going to be up all night anyway, you might as well save your money and sit in an economy seat watching the TV.
yup ^

but being that i can sleep anywhere any time, my most favorite part of a lieflat is being able to recline, eat some nutz, drink some cognac, and watch my stories...if i'm not talking to someone lol
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cur
this is so bizzare, i talk to my seat mate (if i have one) on red eyes all the time. domestic, international, economy, pe, business. it's mass transportation, and noise cancelling earbuds are an accessible thing even for the most chintziest of travelers. have never ever in my life thoughtthere's a social contract regarding talking on redeyes

yup ^

but being that i can sleep anywhere any time, my most favorite part of a lieflat is being able to recline, eat some nutz, drink some cognac, and watch my stories...if i'm not talking to someone lol
Ear plugs and noise cancelling headphones aren't 100% effective. Nor are full noise cancelling headphones conducive to sleeping comfortably in a flat bed. So if I can hear you above my ear plugs, you're probably going to know about it. And I think most red eye travelers would agree with this.
truncated likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sts603
Then what are you spending it for? Some food of variably quantity, free middle-of-the-road booze, and a pre-programmed entertainment device? There are very few airline experiences in the world that are worth staying awake for in and of itself (yes, I have forced myself to stay awake on a 2am QR F flight to enjoy the caviar - though still ditching the rest of the meal service to sleep). BA J is certainly not one of them. Premium class travel to me is all about getting to the destination more relaxed and rested (or if work is required, having a comfortable space to do it in).
Given the excitement displayed by the OP in their responses here, combined with their decision not to get any sleep on an overnight flight, it would suggest longhaul travel in J is still a novelty for the OP (maybe even their very first LH J) that they want to cherish and maximise the experience as best as they can.

I think many well-travelled FT'ers may forget that for someone who hasn't flown 100+ segments in premium cabin, it is still something to look very much forward to. Even in BA CW

OP, enjoy your cruise and your CW experience from Miami!
TravellingSalesman likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:19 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Hilde
... that they want to cherish and maximise the experience as best as they can.

...for someone who hasn't flown 100+ segments in premium cabin, it is still something to look very much forward to. Even in BA CW
For me maximising the J experience is all about sleeping. I still look forward to BA CW for the flat bed, everything else (that I wouldn't get via status benefits in WT/+) is neither here nor there
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Globaliser
A quick look at the timetable suggests that BA208 will be a 380 throughout NW2018/19, so much quieter.
Thanks for that correction, I did not search future flights well enough.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:06 am
Original Poster

It was very annoying yesterday when I found out that I could only write five posts the whole day and had to wait for 24 hours before I could post again! Can anyone explain why flyertalk has that policy? Can I assume that's only for beginners like me?

I understand that sleeping is the big thing for frequent flyers going to a meeting after arrival but except for that I really can't understand the reasons to pay the price for CW to be able to sleep better. If sleeping is the thing, why isn't the CW cabin almost empty on the daytime flights from Europe to America, most people don't sleep then. I know that many people like the better seat to work in and I understand that too but lots of people don't work so why fly in CW?

For me it's not about if I can afford to pay for the tickets i CW, I can afford that. It's about if I think that it's worth it and the answer is yes if I'm awake but no if I shall sleep.

The main reason for me to pay for CW is the better comfort and that's more important if I'm awake than if I sleep. I'm also interested in the better food, drinks, lounge access, shorter lines and better access to staff to talk to if I need it but the better comfort is the main thing.

As for the food I really like the food they serve in CW. (I have been in CW a few times but only on daytime flights.) I even like the food they serve in CE! Even the afternoon tea is okay for me, especially if I first get a meal on the ARN-LHR flight and the afternoon tea on a connecting flight.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Hi there, it’s just a FlyerTalk rule that you can only 5 posts can be made on the first day you join it’s nothing about you personally.
People travel for all kinds of reasons and you seem to be a little defensive of your reasons, nobody is saying you are wrong so please enjoy your flight and do just as you please.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Given the excitement displayed by the OP in their responses here, combined with their decision not to get any sleep on an overnight flight, it would suggest longhaul travel in J is still a novelty for the OP (maybe even their very first LH J) that they want to cherish and maximise the experience as best as they can.

I think many well-travelled FT'ers may forget that for someone who hasn't flown 100+ segments in premium cabin, it is still something to look very much forward to. Even in BA CW

OP, enjoy your cruise and your CW experience from Miami!
Because of the 5 post limit I have to reduce my responses but I wanted to respond to what you wrote.

I think that excitement is a little strong word for what I feel but it's correct that I'm a beginner even if I have flown CW before. I still love just to be on an airport and to sleep on the plane is a waste of time for me even in WT. It's also so that I always sleep bad the first night on a new place so even if I wanted to sleep on the flight that shouldn't be an option anyway.

I understand if frequent flyers prefer to get as much sleep as possible and that's the reason why I asked the question about the food on the flight.

I know that a few hours of sleep should be good for me and help me to feel better but my vacation will be over so I will feel bad anyway and the jetlag will be a small problem compared to other things!!!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:23 am

Because of the 5 post limit I have to reduce my responses but I wanted to respond to what you wrote.
Luckily, you don't have to worry about that limit anymore, that is only for the first 5 posts on Flyertalk, now you post as much as you like

I think that excitement is a little strong word for what I feel but it's correct that I'm a beginner even if I have flown CW before. I still love just to be on an airport and to sleep on the plane is a waste of time for me even in WT. It's also so that I always sleep bad the first night on a new place so even if I wanted to sleep on the flight that shouldn't be an option anyway.

I understand if frequent flyers prefer to get as much sleep as possible and that's the reason why I asked the question about the food on the flight.
As in most other aspects of life, diversity is key. People have different desires and needs when it comes to air travel, and it is great that many different aspects can be accommodated.
In this thread, I also got a reminder that people have different definitions of "maximizing the CW experience"

Again, enjoy your travels The only negative thing about travelling in premium cabins that I can think of, is that is gets increasingly difficult to go back to travelling in Y
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Luckily, you don't have to worry about that limit anymore, that is only for the first 5 posts on Flyertalk, now you post as much as you like

As in most other aspects of life, diversity is key. People have different desires and needs when it comes to air travel, and it is great that many different aspects can be accommodated.
In this thread, I also got a reminder that people have different definitions of "maximizing the CW experience"

Again, enjoy your travels The only negative thing about travelling in premium cabins that I can think of, is that is gets increasingly difficult to go back to travelling in Y
Thanks Hilde.

I'm not really sure about the limit because I had to wait for 24 hours after my second post before I could respond to you. Maybe I'm "free" 24 hours after my fifth post!

I know about the problems to go back, it's the same with cruising! After our first cruise in a suite we haven't been able to go back!
Hilde likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:03 am

I'm not really sure about the limit because I had to wait for 24 hours after my second post before I could respond to you. Maybe I'm "free" 24 hours after my fifth post!
That's correct
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
<snip>

Maybe I'm "free" 24 hours after my fifth post!

<snip>
Many of us live with that misapprehension for years...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.