Upgrade pricing factors

Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade pricing factors

I've been keeping half an eye on ET>CE upgrade prices for a return trip to Venice in September.
Originally after booking it was about £290 or so return, so I held off in case it came down. Interestingly after I stumped up a few quid to reserve a seat on the outbound it dropped to £242 or so. I still held off (the lounge would be nice; I'm Blue) in case I got a decent POUG.
Checking today, it's shot up to £502, although the increase is all on the outbound (£451 vs £121 for the return). Big jump in a couple of days- does this just indicate that the CE cabin is getting filled up?

My only concern here is that my pre-paid seat (6F) is likely to get bumped because they reckon they can move CE back a couple of rows? (5 was the first "normal" row IIRC) - no, I'm not going to pay 500 quid for a lounge and empty seat next to me

Or is the pricing a law unto itself?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
You will possibly find that some restricted fare classes that require a "book X days in advance" clause have now become unavailable
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS EB Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Gold, Accor Silver
Unless that’s the price for three or four passengers, those kind of prices sound more like fare difference type upgrades!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jowlymonster
I
My only concern here is that my pre-paid seat (6F) is likely to get bumped because they reckon they can move CE back a couple of rows? (5 was the first "normal" row IIRC) - no, I'm not going to pay 500 quid for a lounge and empty seat next to me
Yes there is a risk here, whether you have pre-paid or not. Two days ago I reserved a seat 2 rows back from the curtain. When I travelled yesterday the curtain had moved back one row, so I assume those originally in the row in front of me were scattered across the plane.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jowlymonster
I've been keeping half an eye on ET>CE upgrade prices for a return trip to Venice in September.

My only concern here is that my pre-paid seat (6F) is likely to get bumped because they reckon they can move CE back a couple of rows? (5 was the first "normal" row IIRC)
I've seen curtain moves after online checkin opened on a flight (AMS) and on a day where there was no disruption or cancellation. Of course I can't say if aircraft type changed on that day but still curtain can moves basically anytime. So nothing is guarantee until your boarding pass swiped during boarding and you able to sit down on your selected seats. How often this happens I don't know but I've seen this a few times before as well.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Interestingly the upgrade today is down to a total of £175 (that's the pay-price, not a puog). Somewhat more tempting...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.