Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Upgrade Using Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:38 am
Original Poster

BA Upgrade Using Avios

Hi, new to FT forum, I have picked up some great tricks from this website, but I have a burning question.

I always thought that if there is award space available you can upgrade, true ?
I hope its not a dumb question

I was gonna book a flight from ORD-LHR-JED in prem econ class. Only for the ORD-LHR leg I wanted to upgrade to business class as it was AA - which has much better biz class than BA. When I search for Awards on ORD-LHR only flight from american which shows up is AA90, the flight which BA is selling ME is AA86. AA86 doesn't show up on award search, but shows up on "book and upgrade". Does it mean that AA86 is eligible UuA ?
or
The Award search is just broken AGAIN?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
AA uses different booking classes for awards and upgrades, therefore, unlike BA, when there is award availability on AA it is not true that one can upgrade. It is U class for redemptions and C class for upgrades. If availability shows up for 'book and upgrade,' I'd think it means you can upgrade. Please note that only W booking class can be upgraded into business which can sometimes be more expensive that buying the cheapest business class seat outright.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Southwest A-List/Companion Pass
Can someone help share any insight why for this segment there wouldn't be any CW award availability 2 days out despite J availability being seemingly unlimited? BAEC Gold with no op-up luck on my current itinerary, while at the same time not sure why an avios upgrade wouldn't be available given the openness of the cabin.

Last edited by sanfran767; Jun 29, 2018 at 12:12 am
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sanfran767
[LEFT]Can someone help share any insight why for this segment there wouldn't be any CW award availability 2 days out despite J availability being seemingly unlimited? BAEC Gold with no op-up luck on my current itinerary, while at the same time not sure why an avios upgrade wouldn't be available given the openness of the cabin.
Fundamentally, it's the same reason that there's no C, D, R or I class availability on your flight either: revenue management. BA thinks the flight is likely, on average, to be more profitable if it does not accept any further requests for cheap tickets but takes its chances that someone will buy an expensive one because they have to. This is a bit of an oversimplification, of course - but that's the fundamental underlying philosophy. It often means that the higher cabin will go out with empty seats even though there are people who would have been happy to upgrade into them at a cheap price (but not an expensive one).
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Southwest A-List/Companion Pass
Well, apparently their algorithm isn’t perfect yet; got an Op Up in the First Wing. 😁
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sanfran767
Well, apparently their algorithm isn’t perfect yet; got an Op Up in the First Wing.
It's probably a bit like your bags flying on a different aircraft: there are ways of doing that safely, but the fundamental thing is that you don't let the passenger choose to do it.

Only op-ups are a more pleasant involuntary surprise than finding that your bags are flying on a different aircraft.
sanfran767 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.