Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

B2B at DME (different PNRs)--transfer process?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

All,

Work is bringing me to RIC over the summer, and thought I would take the opportunity to make a TP run of it, leveraging a GUF1, ensuring I retain GGL for another year.

Beginning the trip from DME, given some very advantageous fare pricing, and routing from DME through LHR and ORD, with then some internal flights to RIC (all in F on LH/J domestic).

However, now looking at positioning myself from LHR to DME--I'm thinking of taking the BA233 out and then doing a B2B back on the same plane the BA232 (the start of my trip to RIC). Looking to you all for some knowledge on the transfer process at DME to make sure I actually make that BA232 flight!

1) Since I am on two different PNRs (HBO), am I able to use the transfer process still in this case? Or will I need to go through immigration and then come back through?
2) I understand DME needs a paper boarding pass. I clearly won't have been issued one in London, so am I able to get one at DME through the transfer process? Any experiences here?
3) If I do need to exit through immigration and come back in--does anyone have experience as to how long this takes? I only have ~1.5 hours, while the BA233 is turned around into the BA232--not sure if sufficient? Should I take an earlier flight?

Would greatly appreciate any one with experience at DME sharing their thoughts!

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
There are a few threads about this knocking about, including this one and starting from post #1820 here... I also seem to recall that someone was denied boarding doing a DME "B2B" at LHR because he didn't have a Russian visa and LHR-DME-LHR isn't considered to be a transit as no third country is involved - but I can't find that thread/those posts!

ETA: here's that post recounting G_CIVV's experience!

Last edited by JustTheOne; Jun 25, 2018 at 7:26 am Reason: found the post!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I really would strongly advice against trying a DME b2b now unless you have a visa or wouldn't need one to enter Russia. If you do try it and you haven't got a visa you should expect BA to refuse boarding you on the LHR-DME flight.

See this recent thread Back to Back in Moscow - Denied Boarding at LHR
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I would not do this. DME has some crazy lines and some very angry immigration officials. If you insist on doing an MR through DME, I'd probably stay the night in Russia (and get a visa).
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by sts603
I would not do this. DME has some crazy lines and some very angry immigration officials. If you insist on doing an MR through DME, I'd probably stay the night in Russia (and get a visa).
If transiting within the same terminal at DME (leaving aside the visa issues noted above) you do not need to go through immigration. The transfer process at DME is fairly swift. When I did this I didn't detect any anger from the Russian security officers doing the security check and document check.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Sorry all--forgot to mention that I have a visa. So that shouldn't be a worry.

Just wondering about the transfer process--does anyone have experience here?

Agree on the lines--that is clearly the big concern. Unfortunately I do need to route through DME, so potentially taking an earlier flight is a better bet, unless someone else has experience with the transfer?

Seems like without a paper boarding pass, it risks becoming quite complicated...
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
If transiting within the same terminal at DME (leaving aside the visa issues noted above) you do not need to go through immigration. The transfer process at DME is fairly swift. When I did this I didn't detect any anger from the Russian security officers doing the security check and document check.
@KARFA--do you know if this is the case even if not on "connecting" (different PNRs) itineraries? Can only see it earmarked elsewhere as an option for "connecting" flights. Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Carmer

Just wondering about the transfer process--does anyone have experience here?

Agree on the lines--that is clearly the big concern. Unfortunately I do need to route through DME, so potentially taking an earlier flight is a better bet, unless someone else has experience with the transfer?

Seems like without a paper boarding pass, it risks becoming quite complicated...
Experience here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28775010-post1838.html

You should be able to get your return bp through olci before you leave the UK. I would say what lines? there weren't any when I did it, remember you are not going through immigration, you go through a completely separate transfer channel.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:38 am

@KARFA--do you know if this is the case even if not on "connecting" (different PNRs) itineraries? Can only see it earmarked elsewhere as an option for "connecting" flights. Thanks!
I can't see why it would be any different whether your LHR-DME and DME-LHR are on the same or different tickets. The Russian officers didn't care as long as you had a bp for the onward flight.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
As long as you can get on the flight to DME in the first place then you should be fine, and your visa will allow you to do that. Once you get to DME you just go upstairs through the transit route, have your name written in the giant ledger of transferees, a cursory security check and you're back in the departure area. LHR should be able to issue a BP before you leave, you should also try and get one from OLCI in advance to increases the chances. If you turn up at DME without one then there will be a system to get you one, as they have a transit facility, I'm just not sure what it is. Knowing how these types of airports work, they will probably contact someone at BA and have one issued.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:43 am

Thanks for confirming. When you do your document check with BA they will want to see that at check in, and they will only let you board if you have a valid visa. Although there are TWOV provisions at DME, BA do not consider a b2b to be a transit and therefore will not let you board unless you have a visa or some other entitlement to enter Russia.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
I can't see why it would be any different whether your LHR-DME and DME-LHR are on the same or different tickets. The Russian officers didn't care as long as you had a bp for the onward flight.
Ok great--my concern was around getting the bp. From what I remember I believe I couldn't do OLCI departing from DME before (have been many times--finacee is russian), and this was my concern as I figured they would ask for this (as per your post as well).

Maybe it was only mobile bp that did not work--I rarely try to check-in another way I guess.

Then will just have to hope OLCI doesn't throw up any errors....
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airprox
LHR should be able to issue a BP before you leave, you should also try and get one from OLCI in advance to increases the chances..
Being my first TP run, would there be reasons to specifically not raise to BA at check-in at LHR that I am coming straight back from DME--or do they not care?

Clearly want to avoid having my tickets cancelled at the last minute if they get upset at my fare arbitrage...
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: GGLfL
If you have a visa, the check-in agents are not going to be in the least bit interested in the reason for your trip. If you are transitting without a visa, it's even harder now since there are no G4 visa staff on hand to "ok" you. They will see on their screen "reason for travel" - holiday/tour group/business etc, but there is no option for transitting. They therefore won't know how to handle it. They will call back-up and "should" ok you for a transit to a 3rd country, but it can take some time. Since you have a visa, this is no issue for you.

OLCI check-in has always worked for me ex-DME (and I do it twice a month). Never failed. You can't PYOBP, it has to be a printed copy. You really want to get it printed before you leave. DME transit desk usually just has an S7 employee on it. They can call an airport employee over who handles other airlines, but I wouldn't count on it being fast. It might be, but you may be waiting half an hour.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: GGLfL
Ok great--my concern was around getting the bp. From what I remember I believe I couldn't do OLCI departing from DME before (have been many times--finacee is russian), and this was my concern as I figured they would ask for this (as per your post as well).

Maybe it was only mobile bp that did not work--I rarely try to check-in another way I guess.

Then will just have to hope OLCI doesn't throw up any errors....
You can check in on the mobile app, you just cant' retrieve a mobile BP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.