Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to undo an Avios upgrade if no more availability appears?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

The whole question's in the title, but here's something I don't know. Two of us are travelling in J. There's 1 F award seat available on our outbound sector (LHR-LAX). Can I upgrade one of us, with a view to upgrading the other if another F seat becomes available. And if no more award seats appear, can I "un-upgrade" the F seat, reclaim the avios and tax, and travel in J together as originally booked? Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by armouredant
The whole question's in the title, but here's something I don't know. Two of us are travelling in J. There's 1 F award seat available on our outbound sector (LHR-LAX). Can I upgrade one of us, with a view to upgrading the other if another F seat becomes available. And if no more award seats appear, can I "un-upgrade" the F seat, reclaim the avios and tax, and travel in J together as originally booked? Thanks!
I believe you would only be able to downgrade again if reward availability existed in J. Are you using a 2-4-1 voucher as I'm not sure you can upgrade one and not the other? I thought it was part of the T&Cs that you had to be travelling in the same cabin.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:03 am
Original Poster

We're not using a 2-4-1; a cash booking for two pax.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
everyone on the same booking must be in the same cabin so both would have to be upgraded with avios. the only way you could do this would be to split the booking in to two and then do the uua on one of them for now.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
everyone on the same booking must be in the same cabin so both would have to be upgraded with avios. the only way you could do this would be to split the booking in to two and then do the uua on one of them for now.
Thanks Karfa. Are there any repercussions in splitting the booking, and would I definitely be able to downgrade if more availability opens up?

Also, does more F availability even open up that often? Cabin is F9 A6 J9 I9 W9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V8 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 at the mo.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks Karfa. Are there any repercussions in splitting the booking, and would I definitely be able to downgrade if more availability opens up?

Also, does more F availability even open up that often? Cabin is F9 A6 J9 I9 W9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V8 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 at the mo.
you can undo the UuA but according to BA "Within 24 hours the Avios used for the upgrade are not refundable, however the Member can be downgraded back to the original cabin should the fare conditions allow and subject to availability on the desired flight." i.e. there needs to be availability in the original cabin - I am not sure whether than means availability of any seat in J or it needs to be availability of the original selling class.

in terms of splitting there may be issues for things like baggage allowance and seat selection fees if one of you has status and the other doesn't. it is also possible in the case of flight cancellations or delays that BA wouldn't know you were together and may rebook you both on different re-routes - unlikely i guess but possible.
armouredant likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:12 am

One way to get an idea if more might open up is search your route on baredemptionfinder.com. This will give you an idea of what's available today for the year ahead. However, there doesn't tend to be patterns to the release of award seats, as it's down to the black box that is BA Revenue Management.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
and would I definitely be able to downgrade if more availability opens up?
You will be able to downgrade back to the original cabin provided there is availability in the original booking class (not just in the cabin).
armouredant likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks! The fare isn't flexible, so I think I'll sit tight and stare at my inbox waiting for my Expertflyer alert to come in. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.