Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Where has all the CX Avios availability gone?

Where has all the CX Avios availability gone?

Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:28 pm

Most places recommend looking at redemption tickets as soon as they become available. I have found, in my limited experience, for redeeming CX using Avios, tickets are available up to 9 months ahead
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:17 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
If base rate availability through Asia Miles is given, then chances are that you're just experiencing the well known BAEC availability display bug. Maybe cross check availability on aa.com as well, just for verification, but then call BA and ask.

What dates are you looking for, so that we can all see for ourselves?
Things have changed since Asia Miles updated their program last year. Many HKG-XXX redemptions have become unavailable to partners. If someone finds a way to work around this, it would be great!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Only 1 data point but I've just searched HKG - PVG for 29th April and am seeing plenty of availability on Cathay Dragon.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by SaraJH
Only 1 data point but I've just searched HKG - PVG for 29th April and am seeing plenty of availability on Cathay Dragon.
One sparrow does not summer make
having made a thorough search I can confirm that HKG-XXX is EXTREMELY limited compared to AM availability.
And there is no point flying to YYY to get availability YYY-HKG-XXX for a regional flight.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
One sparrow does not summer make
having made a thorough search I can confirm that HKG-XXX is EXTREMELY limited compared to AM availability.
And there is no point flying to YYY to get availability YYY-HKG-XXX for a regional flight.
indeed. I think anyone who often books reward flights on CX/KA around the Far East can’t have failed to notice the steep drop off in reward availability since late last year for simple HKG-XXX or XXX-HKG flights.
toplayer and Lefly like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Or even Swallow and that's why I mentioned only 1 data point, thankfully that date is exactly when we need to travel but I appreciate that other dates may not be so fruitful.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I thought I read somewhere on one of the blogs that due to the CX error fare over the new year CX planes are pretty full and there’s not going to be a lot of redemption flights or upgrades available for quite a while. Can’t remember the source I’m afraid but it does make sense if your J and F cabins are full at circa USD 500-750 you aren’t going to be giving thst many free seats as well.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by KARFA
indeed. I think anyone who often books reward flights on CX/KA around the Far East can’t have failed to notice the steep drop off in reward availability since late last year for simple HKG-XXX or XXX-HKG flights.
It was bad last year and it's even worse now. If the AM redemption was a little cheaper (e.g., 20k) I'd probably just suck it up and transfer AMEX or MR. But 25k just feels a little too high.
Maybe cross check availability on aa.com as well, just for verification, but then call BA and ask.
I've searched AA as well. Most seem to think calling won't help, but I may give it a try just to confirm.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:24 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I thought I read somewhere on one of the blogs that due to the CX error fare over the new year CX planes are pretty full and there’s not going to be a lot of redemption flights or upgrades available for quite a while. Can’t remember the source I’m afraid but it does make sense if your J and F cabins are full at circa USD 500-750 you aren’t going to be giving thst many free seats as well.
This is a separate issue.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
it does make sense if your J and F cabins are full at circa USD 500-750 you aren’t going to be giving thst many free seats as well.
That fare was Vietnam to North America. Not really relevant to BKK-HKG.

Flights I want have ample business class availability. Otherwise AM wouldn't be offering seats at the 25k level.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
Things have changed since Asia Miles updated their program last year. Many HKG-XXX redemptions have become unavailable to partners. If someone finds a way to work around this, it would be great!
So Cathay members can book anything on OW partners reward inventory but this is not reciprocated? Doesn’t sound like a very fair alliance to me.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
So Cathay members can book anything on OW partners reward inventory but this is not reciprocated? Doesn’t sound like a very fair alliance to me.
It's never fair. AA had 65k F redemptions for years when we have to fork over 105k. Plus US$120 whenever we have to cancel.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA, AS

It is fair in the sense that if OW partner space is released any OW partner should be able to book it. Cathay is just not releasing as many partner awards and are holding some for their own members. They did not start this trend. I believe JAL was there before them with their tiered award pricing. SQ (*A) has done this for a long time so it is not new.

The world is changing and we need to change with it or be left behind. More airlines are protecting benefits for their own members and I cannot really blame them.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:16 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Also airlines can favour their own (elites in particular) by withholding availability to all, giving their own members ability to waitlist and clearing seats against waitlists (possibly preferring elites in the process)

Sub-DM elite favouring doesn't seem to happen much with MPO though.
Rather, restricting awards to Tailored and Choice will lock out partners.

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 12, 2019 at 7:39 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
all i can say is
"Down with CX and QF"
it has only been when CX hired those QF Frequent flyer folks (so i heard) that the availability has gone downhill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.