Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's with everyone today? (help for hand luggage, exit row eligibility and passport

What's with everyone today? (help for hand luggage, exit row eligibility and passport

Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
* In the spirit of disability access, I don't think it's unreasonable for those unfit to put their bags in the overhead to ask for assistance
* There's no way somebody not fit to lift their bag should be sitting in an exit row
British Airways' rules for cabin bags are quite unambiguous:
These allowances also apply on our hand baggage only (Basic) fares, available on selected British Airways short and long haul flights.
  • Your bags must fit into the baggage gauge at check-in (including handles, pockets and wheels).
  • You must be able to lift your bags into the overhead locker by yourself.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:03 am

My tuppence worth:

* If a member of cabin crew can't lift a bag into the overhead comfortably then I would be concerned about their level of fitness to perform during an emergency evacuation or other emergency
* Fit and healthy passengers shouldn't be asking for help lifting their bags, but plenty of people have hidden disabilities that don't make this obvious.
* In the spirit of disability access, I don't think it's unreasonable for those unfit to put their bags in the overhead to ask for assistance
I believe cabin bags on BA can be up to 23kg each. To expect crew to lift bags of that weight above their heads is completely unrealistic. If you lug a bag of that weight onboard then be prepared to do your own heavy lifting.

I agree about disability access, generally I would say that can be achieved by putting unmanageable bags into the hold.
LTN Phobia and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
My tuppence worth:

* If a member of cabin crew can't lift a bag into the overhead comfortably then I would be concerned about their level of fitness to perform during an emergency evacuation or other emergency

If a customer has a 23kg/50lb bag, I do not think it reasonable to expect all CC to lift this above their head. Until they pick the bag up they have no idea how heavy it might be. If a customer choices to have such a heavy. Ah then the responsibility to lift it is with them.
LTN Phobia and BABenchley like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: BA
My tuppence worth:

While CC do have various roles on a flight lifting bags into overhead lockers is not one of them. Of course, if there is a valid reason crew will generally cooperate for those passengers that need help. The last thing you want is for the crew to be injured from lifting bags which could result in the crew member being stood down and subsequently delaying the flight.
PETER01 and LTN Phobia like this.

Last edited by BABenchley; Jun 25, 2018 at 9:23 am
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I was on an AA flight on Saturday where someone in the exit row asked for crew help getting their bag in the overhead. I was actually quite impressed that the crew member proceeded to move the person out of the exit row, since if they couldn't lift their bag, they couldn't open the exit (it was an over-wing window exit).
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by simons1
by putting unmanageable bags into the hold.
Next time I'm travelling with SWMBO I'll quote you on that!!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I wonder if that's enforced frequently? For example, over the years, I've sat next to countless people in exit rows on BA who cannot understand English, and where they did not share a common language with CC.
I have seen many cases where people were asked to move in that situation.

I can lift well over my body weight, and can handle emergency exits and normal doors perfectly fine (and have done so) and I have even been a manual handling instructor to for injury prevention, but cannot lift a 23 kg bag into the overhead locker without risking injuring myself.

Overhead and non-overhead lifting are quite different.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Whilst I mentioned that discretion was not an option in response to an earlier recommendation, my main point was not about making a fuss but about the fact that in this particular case, a cabin crew member already had all the information available from which I derived my perception that my person should not have been allowed in that seat as she had been told explicitly by him that he could not lift his suitcase because he had recently broken his elbow by falling.

While I agree that bringing information to the attention of crew if they may not have it is important, this was not the case here: I had no new information to add so my intervention could have only meant: 'you don't know your job' and it is a message I do not feel entirely competent/in my place giving to crew as they know more than me.
I can sympathise with that position, especially if he was not seated by the exit as he was not at risk of blocking the exit. Where in the exit row was he seated?

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jun 25, 2018 at 8:02 am
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
My tuppence worth:

* Fit and healthy passengers shouldn't be asking for help lifting their bags, but plenty of people have hidden disabilities that don't make this obvious.
I know a fair number of people who have been asked to travel by their employer post-abdominal surgery (hernia, female reproductive, etc.) at a point where their doctor has cleared them for a return to ordinary white collar work, but still wants them to not lift more than about five pounds/2.5kg. And whose employer would freak at the idea of checking a company laptop and other proprietary work product into the hold.

Which leads to relying on the kindness of strangers, and fortunately for them, kindness comes through and saves the day.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I know a fair number of people who have been asked to travel by their employer post-abdominal surgery (hernia, female reproductive, etc.) at a point where their doctor has cleared them for a return to ordinary white collar work, but still wants them to not lift more than about five pounds/2.5kg. And whose employer would freak at the idea of checking a company laptop and other proprietary work product into the hold.

Which leads to relying on the kindness of strangers, and fortunately for them, kindness comes through and saves the day.
says a lot about the employer then if they are being sent on trips when they are still not fit enough.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
says a lot about the employer then if they are being sent on trips when they are still not fit enough.
Welcome to the American dream.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Just got off my flight and I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with everyone today. Two (entirely separate) people asked the crew (one of them nicely, the other not at all so) if they could put their carry on luggage in the overhead for them as they could not do so themselves. We are not talking about elderly people but two main in their 50s and 60s respectively. The first had a recently broken elbow (for which I have sympathy, not least because it happened to me, but when i did, I abstained from carrying hand luggage I could not handle myself!). As the flight was busy, a message was sent that anyone could check bags for free so fare was not excuse. The offer was then repeated at the gate.

Moreover, it happens that he was sat in the exit row. Quite frankly, if he could not put his suitcase in the overhead, there is zero chance he could have opened a very heavy exit row door in case that was needed and I was really surprised that the crew did not ask him to change seat. The second mentioned no particular reason. Again, why do people take bags that they cannot fit in the overhead, especially as this is an explicit limitation for BA? I could hear the stewardess was quite annoyed too, explaining that she was not that strong and that the second bag was really heavy.

Upon disembarking, the second passenger also decided that it was fine for him to cut about 20 people in the queue. That was not the queue that I was in or I would have told him what I thought.

Not DYKWIA but nonetheless someone who does not seem to be very conscious of others or interested in setting any limit to what he should impose to others to put himself first. Disappointing.

PS: a really weird guy in the CCR before that but I won't discuss that particular case as those two seem enough for today!
Wow what a co-incidence! On an AA domestic flight last night I was asked if I could both put someones bag in the overhead locker and then asked to get a different bag down from the overhead locker having never been asked on any flight ever before. I was a bit taken aback by one woman asking me to get her bag down as she had refused to move from the middle seat for the whole flight. My attempts to tell her that both the aisle and window seat were on my booking so I knew no one was sitting there didn't wash. I thought after take off once she was sure herself no one was sitting there she may move but no for a 5 hour night flight she insisted on sitting in the middle seat. I appreciate her ticket shows as the middle seat but what reason could she have to want to sit in the middle seat and then spill over into my seat? I even offered her my aisle seat in case she was claustrophobic and didn't want to sit by the window!!!?!?

PS The cabin staff were damn right rude is it worth me complaining to AA
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:20 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
As BA allows 23kg bags as carry on (beyond me why they do that) I can see that many ppl who might have a problem lift such a bag into the overhead bin.

I personally would ask somebody to help me in that case (as doing it alone is quite risky, even though I'm young and fit). Even though in that situation I wouldn't be lifting my bag all on my own, I'm still perfectly capable of lifting an exit door if needed. But I don't think the bags are that heavy all the time and generally speaking if you can't lift your bag you can't lift an exit door (I think they were like 15kg?) and therefore shouldn't be seated there.
If the person is just too lazy to lift their bags and sits in the exit row, the rules above (who can't lift a bag can't lift the door) should be applied and they should be moved. (Instant Karma). If that was not done I would voice my concerns with teh FA.

As I usually fly Swiss I know that on those flights if you are seated in an exit row the FA will come by and ask you if you are aware and able to perform exit row duties.
I was once seated in an exit row some years ago and the FA came by to ask us exactly that finishing with the legendary sentence I will never forget:
With great leg room comes great responsibility!
PS: I really want to hear that CCR story!

Last edited by Nick Art; Jun 25, 2018 at 10:26 am
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by madfish

If a customer has a 23kg/50lb bag, I do not think it reasonable to expect all CC to lift this above their head. Until they pick the bag up they have no idea how heavy it might be. If a customer choices to have such a heavy. Ah then the responsibility to lift it is with them.
Yes indeed.
It clearly states on the BA site ''You must be able to lift your bags into the overhead locker by yourself''. So the cabin crew have every right to refuse. Then you'd no doubt see a story on here from someone calling BA crew useless.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:27 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes indeed.
It clearly states on the BA site ''You must be able to lift your bags into the overhead locker by yourself''. So the cabin crew have every right to refuse. Then you'd no doubt see a story on here from someone calling BA crew useless.
answered by this comment
mimimimimimimimi
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:47 am

It’s a difficult one. Sometimes I’ll help assist a passenger in putting a bag up, if say they’re elderly or frail but other than that I work on the ‘you pack it you stack it’ rule.
If you can’t lift your bag into a locker then don’t pack as much, or check it in.

With regards to exit row capabilities, these should be assessed by the crewmember responsible for doing so once boarding is complete. Obviously if I don’t think a pax is capable of operating the exit; or doesn’t understand the instructions then I’ll move them. It’s not worth the risk. Most of the time, though, they’re GCHs who have sat there hundreds of times before and know exactly what’s required.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.