Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to make a "good will gesture" apology voucher do almost the opposite...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to make a "good will gesture" apology voucher do almost the opposite...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
As your voucher's expiry date is fast approaching and your previous attempts to use it have been thwarted, if I was in your shoes, I'd call the Customer Relations team tomorrow to see if they can either unlock the voucher code or provide you with a replacement together with an assurance it is validated by BA's online systems. Also, under the circumstances I don't think it is unreasonable to request an extension. Your best bet would be to call in the afternoon (UK time) when the CR agents are manning the phones.
Thank you - for the benefit of others, the last call I made (at least my fifth) suggested that the only way to sort this was to call Customer Relations between 13 and 17 M-F UK local time to sort it out. That I got to work on this a Saturday afternoon is unfortunate to say the least. I've bought and paid the trip I intend to fly, but as I'm within 24 hours I will probably cancel it, buy it again, and hope we can either apply the credit or get a new one made for future trip.

Despite what some may think, I do actually like BA, and I don't have to fly them as I have no significant base in the UK. My hope when I started with this thread is that I'd get positive advice on how to fix the situation - not relive a decidedly low moment last December.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Quick question OP, are you UK/GBP based? If not, might there be currency or country restrictions on your voucher that might be different than the basic currency of your BAEC account? This has caused problems for me when I was paid (not by BA) with a Visa card and could not redeem it.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Schultzois
Thank you - for the benefit of others, the last call I made (at least my fifth) suggested that the only way to sort this was to call Customer Relations between 13 and 17 M-F UK local time to sort it out. That I got to work on this a Saturday afternoon is unfortunate to say the least. I've bought and paid the trip I intend to fly, but as I'm within 24 hours I will probably cancel it, buy it again, and hope we can either apply the credit or get a new one made for future trip.

Despite what some may think, I do actually like BA, and I don't have to fly them as I have no significant base in the UK. My hope when I started with this thread is that I'd get positive advice on how to fix the situation - not relive a decidedly low moment last December.
As you've used all reasonable efforts to fulfil your end of the agreement and having also put additional business BA's way, I think it would be entirely reasonable to request a cash refund to the value of your voucher. Again, such a request is best directed to the CR team.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Egoldstein
Quick question OP, are you UK/GBP based? If not, might there be currency or country restrictions on your voucher that might be different than the basic currency of your BAEC account? This has caused problems for me when I was paid (not by BA) with a Visa card and could not redeem it.
I am US based.

I thought about this at least to the point of trying different BA sites (US, UK, FR) as I'm a US based member buying a ticket roundtrip from France to UK and back.

The voucher code is asked for after pricing but before submission of payment (or even passenger) information. So I don't think it's that, and I tried it both logged into and logged out of the UK site.

You've offered a good thought here, but I don't think that's it. And that I've tried almost all permutations of country site (and being logged in or logged out) does show I've tried a certain amount of debugging here by myself.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
As you've used all reasonable efforts to fulfil your end of the agreement and having also put additional business BA's way, I think it would be entirely reasonable to request a cash refund to the value of your voucher. Again, such a request is best directed to the CR team.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. So, fingers crossed that a chat tomorrow afternoon can put this to rest for me.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Don’t know what the link was in the email they sent you but it does say to use that specific link and enter the code - did you follow the link? (And I should also add in this age of data security, do check that the link takes you to a BA site...)!!

Otherwise, call CR when they are open, or ask someone at Twitter to get in touch.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:26 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As my colleague Prospero has indicated, opinions and side discussions on BA’s handling of the initial situation are not particularly helpful at this stage, and members should note the discussion has moved on from there some time ago. A number of posts which conflict with this have been removed.

Please concentrate on helpful suggestions for the OP, which is clearly what is being sought.

/mod
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
As my colleague Prospero has indicated, opinions and side discussions on BA’s handling of the initial situation are not particularly helpful at this stage, and members should note the discussion has moved on from there some time ago. A number of posts which conflict with this have been removed.

Please concentrate on helpful suggestions for the OP, which is clearly what is being sought.

/mod
For the benefit of the OP and to avoid that discussion breaking out here again, here is the link to the thread from the time:

Is De-Icing Really Considered 'Extraordinary Circumstances'
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If I understand correctly, OP has been trying to buy a RT ticket from France to the UK, so it would be priced in Euro, while the voucher is denominated in British pounds. If the RT is pricing as two one ways, maybe purchasing it as two one way tickets (sometimes with separate change/cancel fees, so there can be disadvantages of doing this) would enable the OP to apply the discount to the UK to France portion, if it's sufficiently expensive to use the discount.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Don’t know what the link was in the email they sent you but it does say to use that specific link and enter the code - did you follow the link? (And I should also add in this age of data security, do check that the link takes you to a BA site...)!!

Otherwise, call CR when they are open, or ask someone at Twitter to get in touch.
This. I was using the normal website to redeem my voucher and it wasn’t working/same message. You have to use the link in the email. Worked perfectly when I did that.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by manymany

This. I was using the normal website to redeem my voucher and it wasn’t working/same message. You have to use the link in the email. Worked perfectly when I did that.
Try sales again. There have been issues with these vouchers and they are different from normal CR vouchers that start 125.

However there is a manual workaround that managers use to process bookings with the voucher discount.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manymany

I've used the link in the email, both logged in and not logged in (when I'm logged in it automatically takes me to a page that has me logged into my BAEC account).
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If I understand correctly, OP has been trying to buy a RT ticket from France to the UK, so it would be priced in Euro, while the voucher is denominated in British pounds. If the RT is pricing as two one ways, maybe purchasing it as two one way tickets (sometimes with separate change/cancel fees, so there can be disadvantages of doing this) would enable the OP to apply the discount to the UK to France portion, if it's sufficiently expensive to use the discount.
I'm a US based BAEC who was flying from France to the US during this disruption when it happened. Surely it's ridiculous that I would have go buy a UK-based ticket to make use of the GBP300 credit (and stop calling me Shirley ) Just kidding. Trying to put some humour back into the thread.

Sounds like a workaround after I call into CR tomorrow is the only way this will get sorted out.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
It might be a long shot, but what if you change the location setting of the ba.com website to the UK after logging in. No idea if it makes a difference but worth a try. Did you try a dummy booking of a UK originating flight to see if that at least accepts the voucher?
PrimaVista likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
It might be a long shot, but what if you change the location setting of the ba.com website to the UK after logging in. No idea if it makes a difference but worth a try. Did you try a dummy booking of a UK originating flight to see if that at least accepts the voucher?
Well done - if I switch to the UK site, then click on the link, then log in using my BAEC details, then search for a trip originating in the UK, it accepts the voucher details before getting into passenger details.

At no point had it crossed my mind that the point of origin would be an issue, but that seems to be what it comes down to.

Seeing as a flight originating solely in the UK isn't much use to me, I'll have to see if CR can help me out over the phone this afternoon.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Update - now that it's finally between 13:00 and 17:00 in the UK, I've tried calling the number(s) given me for Customer Relations, to no avail. The suggested number I've been given has a message saying they are not taking calls as they are dealing with a backlog due to recent weather events?! I hope they're not talking about December 10, as one would have hoped they'd have had time to catch up again since then.

Do they ever operate normally? On hold now with a US number I had been given over the weekend as well... hoping I will get through to someone who can accomplish something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.