Early JFK Check-in?

Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Question Early JFK Check-in?

I wonder if anyone could please tell me what time the BA check-in opens at JFK. I am flying Club, in case that makes any difference (as I know it would at LHR).

I am flying JFK-LHR in September and will be arriving early, probably before 1000, although my flight isn't until early evening. Direct from a cruise so no option other than to arrive early. I was hoping to check in and drop my luggage off straight away, then head to the lounge.

Which leads to my second question - if I can check-in early, can I go through security early? I'd never thought about that but an American friend seems to think TSA won't allow you through security until 4 hours before a flight.

I have tried e-mailing BA but the response I got was a simple 'cut and paste' from their website which only gives information about the latest you can check-in, not the earliest, so was no help at all.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
Hi

I had an 1800hrs (or thereabouts departure) from JFK coming back to LHR flying in CW last October. I arrived at JFK at 1100hrs and checked in and went through security. Neither check in lady or the TSA batted an eyelid. So seven hours before the flight, so you should be fine checking in early. There was one CW check in desk open, I was asked if I was going through security now or going back to the city and returning later. I was Gold at the time but the First check in was not manned, the question of being so early for the flight was not even raised. When I got to the lounges the morning flight had already departed so had the place to myself, didn't see another passenger arrive for a good hour or so.

Bri

Last edited by hanmer; Jun 23, 2018 at 5:14 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Even if you can go through I suspect you may be pulling your hair out after several hours airside in T7. Perhaps you can leave any bags at left luggage (I think there are some at T1 and 4 or downtown at Grand Central and Penn) and then have a walk around or visit some sights for a few hours before heading back to the airport.
81romeo likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I’m planning something similar at the end of July. Arrive in from LAX around 7am. Planning on doing bag drop at T7 and then heading into the City to go to AMNH and Cebtral park before being back T JFK for the 20.10 flight to LHR.

Whenever I’ve arrived early at T7 I have been able to drop bags and go through security. Although never done it that early before.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hanmer
Hi

I had an 1800hrs (or thereabouts departure) from JFK coming back to LHR flying in CW last October. I arrived at JFK at 1100hrs and checked in and went through security. Neither check in lady or the TSA batted an eyelid. So seven hours before the flight, so you should be fine checking in early. There was one CW check in desk open, I was asked if I was going through security now or going back to the city and returning later. I was Gold at the time but the First check in was not manned, the question of being so early for the flight was not even raised. When I got to the lounges the morning flight had already departed so had the place to myself, didn't see another passenger arrive for a good hour or so.

Bri
Thank you, that is very reassuring.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
I’m planning something similar at the end of July. Arrive in from LAX around 7am. Planning on doing bag drop at T7 and then heading into the City to go to AMNH and Cebtral park before being back T JFK for the 20.10 flight to LHR.

Whenever I’ve arrived early at T7 I have been able to drop bags and go through security. Although never done it that early before.
Thank you.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Even if you can go through I suspect you may be pulling your hair out after several hours airside in T7. Perhaps you can leave any bags at left luggage (I think there are some at T1 and 4 or downtown at Grand Central and Penn) and then have a walk around or visit some sights for a few hours before heading back to the airport.
Not looking forward to a full day at JFK but first time travelling solo in over 30 years so not confident enough to deal with the logistics and don't want to wander around NYC alone.
I may have a trundle around on the AirTrain though! Would like to get a Jamba Juice but they're only post-security in T4 and T5, and I don't know if TSA will let me through when I'm not flying from there. Other than that I will hopefully find a corner in the lounge where I can hibernate for the day.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It can vary at JFK whether TSA will lwill give you some push back (ref various posts on the AA,DL and NYC destination boards) but not insurmountable. They will be more concerned about you missing your flight than anything else - so remember to leave in good time to get back to T7. Remember BA are advising of long security delays in the early evening at T7.

Personally I would try and go into NYC. Go with an objective of something to see such as the 9/11 memorial park or a museum rather than general wandering around. An alternative might be to take the A line to the rockaways and explore.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It can vary at JFK whether TSA will lwill give you some push back (ref various posts on the AA,DL and NYC destination boards) but not insurmountable. They will be more concerned about you missing your flight than anything else - so remember to leave in good time to get back to T7. Remember BA are advising of long security delays in the early evening at T7.

Personally I would try and go into NYC. Go with an objective of something to see such as the 9/11 memorial park or a museum rather than general wandering around. An alternative might be to take the A line to the rockaways and explore.
Thank you, but I don't want to visit anywhere in NYC alone. Too many memories of previous visits, liable to cause emotional distress. Much better for everyone if I just hibernate in the lounge!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by WRAF137
Not looking forward to a full day at JFK but first time travelling solo in over 30 years so not confident enough to deal with the logistics and don't want to wander around NYC alone.
I may have a trundle around on the AirTrain though! Would like to get a Jamba Juice but they're only post-security in T4 and T5, and I don't know if TSA will let me through when I'm not flying from there. Other than that I will hopefully find a corner in the lounge where I can hibernate for the day.
well i have to say i pretty much always travel alone and have been to nyc many times on my own. i haven't ever felt threatened in any way. EDIT: noting your above post which came up whilst i was writing mine, if you have specific reasons NYC is likely to cause you distress that seems somewhat different.

i suspect you won't be allowed airside at another terminal.

the ba gc lounge doesn't open until about 3pm at the earliest.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The BA lounge in T7 is actually open all day, the reason being that it provides lounge services to Qatar, Iberia, Qantas flights.

In Manage My Booking it should say when check-in opens for any particular location, just go to Check-in / Other Ways to check in.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

I definitely recall a few years ago arriving from MIA around 1pm and going into GC. It was open but quiet. May have changed since then, but isn’t the lounge also used by other airlines during the day?

Edit. Beaten to it by CWS.

Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The BA lounge in T7 is actually open all day, the reason being that it provides lounge services to Qatar, Iberia, Qantas flights.

In Manage My Booking it should say when check-in opens for any particular location, just go to Check-in / Other Ways to check in.
ah ok. i did go to check on the dashboard before posting but must have looked at the CCR entry rather than GC by mistake.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:08 am

Is it also safe to assume check-in/bag drop counters are open for BA after the morning flight has departed but well before evening flights? I ask because I've never tried, and would wonder whether/why they would keep check-in staffed for many hours during which there are no departing flights.

Another suggestion if the OP is at all interested would be to consider heading east instead of west for a few hours of repose. Assuming OP has no desire to drive oneself around, booking a car with driver for the day, although expensive, might be a lot more pleasant. Jones Beach is about 30 minutes from JFK, Robert Moses around 50 minutes... hourly booking for a service like Blacklane is a touch over US$600 for an eight hour period, but they can pick you up at your cruise terminal, take you wherever you want, wait with your bags securely locked in their car while you have lunch or a stroll on the beach or whatever, and keep an eye on time and traffic to make sure you get back to JFK in time to fly. If the budget permits, this is certainly what I would choose to do.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The BA lounge in T7 is actually open all day, the reason being that it provides lounge services to Qatar, Iberia, Qantas flights..
I believe Qantas has departed to American Airlines' Terminal 8...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.