Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAN TO JNB companion pass F vs. J

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

SAN TO JNB companion pass F vs. J

We are looking at using our BA companion pass to fly San Diego to London then on to Johannasberg in either first or business on a 777&787.

I am looking for advice on the value here. We are looking at $3,500 in taxes for the 2 tickets. The difference on the mileage is between about 250k and 350k. We have 130k Avios and would transfer the difference from our stores of 650,000 MR.

I haven't flown BA but have heard that business class leaves something to be desired.

It looks like the taxes are the same so that is a nod for first class.

Anyone flown these 2 products or routes ?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silver02accord
We are looking at using our BA companion pass to fly San Diego to London then on to Johannasberg in either first or business on a 777&787.

I am looking for advice on the value here. We are looking at $3,500 in taxes for the 2 tickets. The difference on the mileage is between about 250k and 350k. We have 130k Avios and would transfer the difference from our stores of 650,000 MR.

I haven't flown BA but have heard that business class leaves something to be desired.

It looks like the taxes are the same so that is a nod for first class.

Anyone flown these 2 products or routes ?
*The difference is 100,000 points b/t F&J*
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
If you have the necessary points to transfer, taxes are the same, and most importantly the availability is there, go with F. It is always nice to splurge a bit when it is a viable option.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
That's two long flights. You could enjoy F to the full on such a trip. GIven sufficient Avios and the availability, I would do it.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Another vote for doing it! Plus depending on transfer time in LHR, you have more facilities available to you with Cabanas, Concorde room etc.

Have you actually found availability? JNB can be a tough one to get F availability.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Yup F is available both ways. We are going to break the trip up with stopover in London so we can visit Scotland as well. Thanks for the advice !
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
SAN , you won’t get any choice (save I guess going from LAX which I assume you want to avoid) but maybe someone with more experience on the JNB route can help as I think there is more variability and choice there in terms of timings and maybe aircraft?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:16 am
Community Director Emerita

I'd take F in a heartbeat. I'm not fond of the BA biz seat. It will be a considerably more enjoyable trip in F than in J.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
F to JNB from LHR is worth the extra avios, even if just for the Concorde Room. Less convinced by the return leg. On either basis it's a night flight, and only a 1 or 2 hour tie change (depending on time of year) so one to sleep on rather than luxuriate in. On the other hand, if transiting at Heathrow on the way home, then F gives the Concorde room to wait in....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.