Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"You're on flyertalk. I work for the company. Who do you think knows more about BA?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"You're on flyertalk. I work for the company. Who do you think knows more about BA?"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Bobby (I can call you Bobby, can’t I? )

Most agents I have dealt with on the gold line have been very helpful and do all they can to find what I want and help with any issues. I have only ever had one problem with an agent and that was somebody who claimed that I was cheating the system by trying to book an ex-EU and that it wasn’t a valid fare.
Anonba likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
From a customer service point of view, that individual on the other end of the phone sounds downright foul. Wow. That would be a HUCA and hope you get someone else next time.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by madfish
Bobby (I can call you Bobby, can’t I? )

Most agents I have dealt with on the gold line have been very helpful and do all they can to find what I want and help with any issues. I have only ever had one problem with an agent and that was somebody who claimed that I was cheating the system by trying to book an ex-EU and that it wasn’t a valid fare.
How did that one work out? Serious question, as I've been in situations before where I have an information advantage but the agent (despite me being very gentle and indirect) becomes slightly confrontational or defensive. Did you HUACA?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:11 am

I can understand exactly where the agent is coming from, although I don't condone any rudeness.

We all know that such bookings can be a test of both availability and the technology between airlines. The best way in my view is to be diplomatic rather than trying to be a smart arse.....the comment at the end about FT really just comes across as childish point scoring as does responding to the agent suggesting a Weds callback by saying I'll call Monday. Unnecessary really, when all that was needed was "thanks and goodbye".

The bit about Bobby/Robert/Rob is also relatively trivial. I don't know what was on the agent's records however I note the OP signs off as Bobby so it can't be that distressing. Amazing how we all find multiple faults when things don't go our way.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
How did that one work out? Serious question, as I've been in situations before where I have an information advantage but the agent (despite me being very gentle and indirect) becomes slightly confrontational or defensive. Did you HUACA?
I got the distinct impression that he would just be as awkward as possible and that this could lead to problems such as not getting the exact flights and booking codes loaded, thereby not getting the price I wanted.

So yes, HUACA, and got trough to a much more pleasant agent who sorted exactly what I wanted.

Sadly all business have their problem staff who think they make the rules.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:19 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by simons1
I can understand exactly where the agent is coming from, although I don't condone any rudeness.

We all know that such bookings can be a test of both availability and the technology between airlines. The best way in my view is to be diplomatic rather than trying to be a smart arse.....the comment at the end about FT really just comes across as childish point scoring as does responding to the agent suggesting a Weds callback by saying I'll call Monday. Unnecessary really, when all that was needed was "thanks and goodbye".

The bit about Bobby/Robert/Rob is also relatively trivial. I don't know what was on the agent's records however I note the OP signs off as Bobby so it can't be that distressing. Amazing how we all find multiple faults when things don't go our way.
really? You don’t see it as disrespectful to call someone by a name they’ve asked you not to use? That’s not trivial. The signing off as Bobby is definitely tongue very firmly in cheek.
ttama and pheonix254 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
This is the complete opposite of my experience on Thursday. The agent was wonderful and we chatted for a good 15 minutes while she worked on my AA reservation. Her first question to me was if I looked on AA.com, lol. Maybe she should train your gem of an agent.
Actually i probably wouldnt recommend that in case they get different award availability vs BA which is likely.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by rssfed23
My main questions for the team here are:
1) Is there any way aside from calling up again to purchase the redemption before next Wednesday (I'm not even holding out much hope I'll be able to do it then)? - I don't have an AAdvantage account and don't mind opening one up if I can easily transfer Avios there without losing their relative value.

Bobby.
Just to pick up that point - no, you can't transfer since they are two distinct programs. Within AAdvantage you have more options and can use AAnytime awards which are not available on BA.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Ignore - spotted it now!

Last edited by DYKWIA; Jun 23, 2018 at 5:28 am
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
really? You don’t see it as disrespectful to call someone by a name they’ve asked you not to use? That’s not trivial. The signing off as Bobby is definitely tongue very firmly in cheek.
1. There was nothing in the (extremely long) OP about it, that came up later
2. Was it tongue in cheek, best use if so
3. Irritating yes, disrespectful would depend on whether done deliberately as a wind up.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
2. Was it tongue in cheek, best use if so
There are bigger things in life to get wound up about in life and this was indeed the intention when signing off the post!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Just for information; you do not need an AAdvantage account to check for AA award availability, you can do this from the main aa.com page. Look for MilesSaaver awards in any cabin and these should be bookable by BA on Avios. There are still issues displaying this availability on the BA web site and according to some, BA agents also may have trouble seeing the availability. However, them not seeing it does not mean it is not available and I would encourage you to stay firm.
rssfed23 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Anonba

Actually i probably wouldnt recommend that in case they get different award availability vs BA which is likely.
Saver should show via BA, no? It has held IME.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cameramaker
I think mentioning Flyertalk will rarely work out well. I get the perception staff think posters on here are anoraks and they lose respect for you. Best just to use your knowledge and stuff off here quietly.
Chances are they've never heard of Flyertalk anyway and if they have they most likely won't have a positive impression of it. I reckon I would have ended the conversation with the agent much earlier than the OP did.....most likely as soon as they told me I would be charged the offline booking fee.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Saver should show via BA, no? It has held IME.
My point was checking miles availability on AA site vs BA.com site may gave slightly different availability. So if you are wanting to book via ba.com executive club then i wouldnt check on AA site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.