Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA compensation if replacement flight is (also) late

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL

This Q is mainly about the theoretical issue of compensation in the event of delay of replacement flight, but here's a rundown of today's exciting events:
  • 3 x pax booked on BA8769 LCY->ZRH today.
  • In the afternoon, random pax (daughter, not lead pax - apparently MMB swapped around the lead pax when they tried to book seats or put in passport info) gets a text message saying flight has been cancelled, and rebooked onto 06:xx this morning. Message conveyed to lead pax who can't get through to BA to talk to them. I tried too (I paid for the ticket), also no luck - possibly due to city plumbers fiasco.
  • As they needed to be here tonight (late celebratory dinner FWIW), not tomorrow, I rebook onto LX467 LCY->ZRH, £1300++ later.
  • Eventually I get through to BA (40 minute wait on Gold BAEC line) and get them to protect the return, but they can't handle compensation
  • Now it looks like LX467 is also delayed (but not cancelled).
Questions:
  • I believe booking LX467 was a reasonable thing to do given BA couldn't fly pax out on the correct day, and BA should compensate this - correct?
  • But more interestingly, if LX467 is also >2hrs late, the replacement transportation arrived >2hrs late (listed arrival times were roughly the same), which means I should also get lateness compensation - correct?
  • And can I also claim lateness compensation from Swiss? :-)
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA is not responsible for the LX flight delay. Under EU261 there must be a delay of at least 2 hours between scheduled and actual arrival times. Until that flight has landed it's impossible to say if EU261 would apply as the reason for the delay also comes into play.

However I know Switzerland whilst signed up to EU261 as it is written and does not necessarily have to implement any changes due to ECJ court rulings - and delay compensation is not in the original regulation. You might be better looking on the LX board for advice.

BA should compensate under EU261 for the cancellation of its flight (again depending on the reason) but will generally not reimburse cost of tickets bought by the passenger off their own back.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by abligh
  • And can I also claim lateness compensation from Swiss? :-)
I can't provide you with the level of knowledge that others will be able to so, but for this specific point, all I can say is very best of luck!

And I say that as someone who's main carrier is LX.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
LX467 appears to have arrived in ZRH only 1h 41m late so I guess the original question is now a moot point (no compensation on replacement flight)

Also, BA appears to have offered you replacement seats on their very next flight to ZRH after the cancellation, so whilst you might qualify for EU261 compensation on the cancelled flight, I would be very surprised if they reimbursed you for the last minute LX tickets. It is possible your travel insurance might contribute towards this though, depending on your cover.

Last edited by abfab; Jun 22, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.