Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Champagne with Afternoon Tea in First Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold

We're starting to get excited about our upcoming first First from LHR to JFK - even though its still two months away.

Having only ever flown in J before I keep trying to think how much better F may be and one thought was the afternoon tea service. We always like to have a glass of fiz with afternoon tea, but this has never been possible in J. When we've asked the crew we've being told that tea service is served too close to landing and that the alcohol has been stowed by that time. Is this the case in F?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
you should be fine in F, as you eat when you want.

Im surprised this was refused in J
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
In F you can have fizz until landing - ask for it to be decanted into a plastic beaker if necessary

Or live on the edge and hold on to the glass

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Of course you can have champagne with afternoon tea! I am surprised to read that you were denied champagne in CW. I have never been refused a glass of wine/champagne in CW (or WTP) with the second meal service.

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
You should certainly be able to have some champagne with the afternoon tea service in F. You should also be able to do so in CW - sounds to me like your CW crews have either made a mistake by locking the bars too early, or simply couldn’t be bothered to serve you some champagne.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
If you want to be sure of success: Make your preference known ahead of time. Sometimes before landing they lock all the alcohol away and pour out the incomplete bottles, you want to catch them before they do that.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Excellent - thank guys.

Also, it sounds like I need to be firmer in my requests on future J flights
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by bakera
Excellent - thank guys.

Also, it sounds like I need to be firmer in my requests on future J flights
Or if getting very close to the end of flight, you could preempt and mention to the crew before they start the 2nd service, But as others have said you shouldn't have too
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:50 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bakera
We're starting to get excited about our upcoming first First from LHR to JFK - even though its still two months away.

Having only ever flown in J before I keep trying to think how much better F may be and one thought was the afternoon tea service. We always like to have a glass of fiz with afternoon tea, but this has never been possible in J. When we've asked the crew we've being told that tea service is served too close to landing and that the alcohol has been stowed by that time. Is this the case in F?
What???? That's utter nonsense. Were they serving tea somewhere over Long Island? Was this one instance or has this happened before? I'd have the CSD over that. Loads of people enjoy a glass of something with Tea.
QF Lad, Gerbs and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What???? That's utter nonsense. Were they serving tea somewhere over Long Island? Was this one instance or has this happened before? I'd have the CSD over that. Loads of people enjoy a glass of something with Tea.
Champagne and tea with the Hamptons in view sounds lovely. Jones Beach, perhaps not so much.
PUCCI GALORE and BeanTownBoy like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:32 am

my last in CW a lovely FA basically challenged me to finish the bottle she had just opened for me before landing (less than an hour away).

It was hard but I somehow soldiered through, lord knows what the cabbie made of my drivel all the way home.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
This would have been to LHR > NAS
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The bars get reconciled and closed I think around 2 hours before landing if memory serves me right. What is supposed to happen is drinks get left out for use during the remainder of the flight and available to be served during the second service. It sounds like in the OP's situation there wasn't anything/enough left out before bar closure.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:22 am

Bakera, enjoy the champagne with afternoon tea on the flight. I'd advise anyone to avoid ordering afternoon tea in the Concorde Room. I did this last year and was dismayed to be served a stale, toasted scone. Who serves toasted scones? Seriously? In England? It was inedible. The staff were embarrassed to serve it.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Gerbs
Champagne and tea with the Hamptons in view sounds lovely. .
Really! It would put me off my scones
Gerbs and windowontheAside like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.