Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Champagne with Afternoon Tea in First Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Champagne with Afternoon Tea in First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I've had to decant into plastic many times before landing at JFK. I try to have enough to last me until the gate is in view.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by arkellvspressdram
my last in CW a lovely FA basically challenged me to finish the bottle she had just opened for me before landing (less than an hour away).

It was hard but I somehow soldiered through, lord knows what the cabbie made of my drivel all the way home.

Name that FA! It is now my calling in life to book flights that young lady/ man is working on.

OGP - As others have said it's shambolic that you got told you couldn't have bubbles a 2nd time in CW. I'd have had them take a hard right and take up a far out holding pattern while they got the champagne unlocked and poured . Never heard of such travesties.
arkellvspressdram likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That is outrageous, NEVER let that happen again, champagne is compulsory afternoon tea.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:12 am

Thankfully I have never been refused champagne with afternoon tea and am usually encouraged to have a second and often third glass.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
The champagne from my first meal to JFK wipes me out - so I always miss the Champagne afternoon tea...
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by seanp7
The champagne from my first meal to JFK wipes me out - so I always miss the Champagne afternoon tea...
Agreed, by that stage of proceedings I would like tea with my afternoon tea (and water)!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by seanp7
No 'pagne no gain!
seanp7 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by arkellvspressdram
my last in CW a lovely FA basically challenged me to finish the bottle she had just opened for me before landing (less than an hour away).

It was hard but I somehow soldiered through, lord knows what the cabbie made of my drivel all the way home.
i had a similar experience in a J flight to MCO with MrsMM. We had both had 2 or 3 glasses when the wife fell asleep and me being unable asked for another glass of the pink fizz.

The FA duly brought the glass and bottle to me and told me it was freshly opened, I was the only person awake, and she expected it empty by landing.

MrsMM was less than amused when she saw the state I was in when she woke.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by The Muffin Man

i had a similar experience in a J flight to MCO with MrsMM. We had both had 2 or 3 glasses when the wife fell asleep and me being unable asked for another glass of the pink fizz.

The FA duly brought the glass and bottle to me and told me it was freshly opened, I was the only person awake, and she expected it empty by landing.

MrsMM was less than amused when she saw the state I was in when she woke.
It is illegal to refuse to comply with a direct order from a member of cabin crew. You could have been arrested on landing had you not done so.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA blue
As a non Brit, Champagne and tea was an interesting combination that i will definitely try sometime. Is there any other “unusual” but good pairings of alcohol I should try out?

I can can attest that white wine and corn flakes is a good pairing for breakfast.
At least it is after a few glasses of it and champagne.

Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by mckvakk
As a non Brit, Champagne and tea was an interesting combination that i will definitely try sometime. Is there any other “unusual” but good pairings of alcohol I should try out?

I can can attest that white wine and corn flakes is a good pairing for breakfast.

Champagne and Fish n' Chips is a great classic pairing I tend to introduce friends from overseas too. Awesome way to enjoy a British classic and the acidity in the champagne cuts through the oily batter and goes well with the salty chips.

In terms of afternoon tea/cakes, I particularly like pairing cakes with slightly sweeter champagnes, so try a demi-sec or even an extra dry prosecco which go well with victoria sponge. Alternatively one of the sweeter brut champagnes like taittinger work too.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by mckvakk

There is a bit of a thing on the EK forum where some folk take Chicken McNuggets into their F suite and eat them with their Dom Perignon. With photos to prove it!!!

Last edited by DYKWIA; Jun 23, 2018 at 5:19 am
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Lol! Did you actually eat that combination or just photograph it?!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
The bars get reconciled and closed I think around 2 hours before landing if memory serves me right. What is supposed to happen is drinks get left out for use during the remainder of the flight and available to be served during the second service. It sounds like in the OP's situation there wasn't anything/enough left out before bar closure.
That is just completely ridiculous! If needs be the bars should just be re-reconciled. We are not talking about proving Fermat's Last Theorem here, but talking about counting a few bottles. Once reconciled it should not take long to subtract one from the agreed number if a customer wants a glass of something requiring a new bottle to be opened.

​​​​​
​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.