Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Curtain move - any advantage to not re-seating?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Upcoming flight to Italy, when I booked the flight 06C was available as the front row of economy so I took it. Looking today row 7 is now the front row qnd 07C is available. At a guess this means they’ve extended Club, but the app says 06C confirmed. Is there any advantage to holding 06C or do I just move to 07C now to guarantee not being reseated in a middle in the back of the plane?

Thanks! Russ
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
You have already been moved but the app does not reflect that. Pick the seat you desire now (you may have to call to do that) to avoid being unpleasantly surprised to find yourself in a seat you don’t want when checkin opens.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rlnnpt
Is there any advantage to holding 06C or do I just move to 07C now to guarantee not being reseated in a middle in the back of the plane?
Depends a bit how far off the flight is, but broadly speaking if you are in 6C on an ET ticket and row 6 is reallocated to CE, then at check-in / the gate you will be reallocated another seat, and at that stage of the game it's probably going to be a middle seat down the back. The only advantage I can think of for retaining 6C is in case the curtain goes forward again, in which case you will be fine; or if you like the thrill of random seat allocations. If your flight is further off you may want to consider going a little further back, just in case the curtain marches back again. If playing curtain roulette, it's a surprisingly difficult game to win.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:27 am

Unless a middle seat near the toilets appeals it would be best to re-select.
Cymro likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:56 am
Original Poster

OK great, thanks all for the help!
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, KL Gold, LH FTL, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
Once due to the curtain movement I was reseated from front row of Economy to the last row of Business. It was on Swiss Avro years ago. But the movement of curtain was really last minute - during the takeoff due to unlocked latch
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by rlnnpt
Upcoming flight to Italy, when I booked the flight 06C was available as the front row of economy so I took it. Looking today row 7 is now the front row qnd 07C is available. At a guess this means they’ve extended Club, but the app says 06C confirmed. Is there any advantage to holding 06C or do I just move to 07C now to guarantee not being reseated in a middle in the back of the plane?
Being ejected by a curtain move is a far-too-common report here on the forum. Can't help wondering about how much badwill BA is generating amongst its best (Y) customers by the cavalier way it frequently boots them out of their chosen seat.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Likely less than the goodwill it generates by selling additional CE when there s a demand.

I am fairly certain that BA's marketing people have considered this issue and that is why BA persists in selling a Y hard product as J by blocking the middle seat. If it were not so, would make all the sense in the world to replace the 3-3 with a hard product to match.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Anybody else remember how KLM would simply let you keep your seat and upgrade you if they moved the curtain! I miss those days. OT, I know.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:23 am

Of course in the real world goodwill and badwill counts for little and it is all down to the commercials.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Often1
Likely less than the goodwill it generates by selling additional CE when there s a demand.
Save for a situation where CE is fully booked and a seat is specifically and personally offered to a passenger in dire need of one, I don’t really see how “adding a few to the number of (high priced, invariably) CE seats already on sale” can generate anything that be described as ‘goodwill’.

I doubt anyone planning a future flight and seeing that there are CE seats for sale will have a warm internal glow that somehow BA have done them a personal favour.

Anecdotal experience from a number of high-status colleagues suggests that being evicted from the front rows of BA Y is a routine, common occurance which happens far more frequently on BA than anyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.