Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TRAPPED! Arriving passengers locked in T5 domestic baggage hall

Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite

Landed very late last night at T5 domestic to find the exit doors to the meet and greet area had been locked. The usual guard at the bottom of the escalators on the land side of the glass doors was nowhere to be seen. After ten minutes of the entire plane load of passengers pushing and pulling at anything that looked like a secret escape tunnel, I picked up a red phone and got connected (there was no dial pad) to the UKBA helpdesk. The lady told me it wasn’t a UKBA problem and to try airport security. “How do I do that?” She wasn’t sure. Eventually we found a walkie talkie and someone was able to radio a message. Within about another 15 minutes a slightly bemused security guard appeared and unlocked the doors. I shall be sending HAL my Addison Lee waiting time bill.....
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:07 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Locked fire doors? I think LFB might also be due a call.
rockflyertalk, florens, SK and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I think after 15 minutes you could reasonably have pushed through the fire escape doors.... If there are no fire escape doors in that area then a call to the Daily Mail news desk may be in order
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Similar at Gatwick the weekend before last. Arrived at around 0200 onto an airbridge, but there was no-one to open the door at the top of the airbridge into the terminal.
The guy who positioned the jetway wasn't allowed to - it has to be a BA host who does that job. Similar from the crew - whilst they could open the door, processes meant they had to wait for a BA host to open it. As we were an hour late, there was no BA host. We waited for 30 minutes on the airbridge while responsibility between those who remained was agreed.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
I'd report both BA and HAL to both the London Fire Brigade and the Health & Safety Executive. For an industry focused entirely on safety, this seems somewhat lacking to put it mildly.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by DVT
Locked fire doors? I think LFB might also be due a call.
It doesn't say that does it (apologies if my multiple reads have missed it)?

I think I'd be a bit reticent to open such a door if not knowing how long it might further delay my journey due to security and fire teams arriving.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I should clarify - the fire doors were NOT locked. We did consider opening them but decided it was better to wait. It would have triggered alarms and they led back onto the airside part of T5, so we would still have had to find a way to the meet and greet area. It was tempting just to make a point, but it didn't seem a sensible option....
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BA
Whenever I have travelled out of Terminal 5 as far as I remember any locked doors I have seen always have an emergency break glass on them anyway.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AA
Reminded me of this video on youtube. Looks like it happens quite often.

Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I shall be sending HAL my Addison Lee waiting time bill.....
Might I add Addison Lee are quite flexible when refunding the (extortionate) waiting time charges ....
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

We checked the doors into the meet and great area (very thoroughly!!) and there were emphatically no emergency releases visible.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:45 am

I got into T5 at around 22:30 last night and wondered why the Blue, Green and Red customs exits at one end were roped off. Was this related?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I got into T5 at around 22:30 last night and wondered why the Blue, Green and Red customs exits at one end were roped off. Was this related?
So you made it from Oslo without being assaulted by dykwia? 😀
the north exit channels of T5 always close around 10pm so totally unrelated.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
We checked the doors into the meet and great area (very thoroughly!!) and there were emphatically no emergency releases visible.
Did you come across a ‘green’ manual fire call point? (Exact same design as a red call point...but green) These are designed to release the electromagnetic lock.

I would say one or two activations by passengers in your circumstances would prevent a staff shortage in the future...
Porky Speedpig likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

So you made it from Oslo without being assaulted by dykwia? 😀
the north exit channels of T5 always close around 10pm so totally unrelated.
Ha ha - yes!! It was a pleasure watching her queue up at immigration while I sailed thru the automatic barriers in seconds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.