Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another British Airways visa for Ireland or go for Aer Lingus visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Currently I have around 400K BA Avios and am considering an economy class trip from MCO to Ireland. Would it be better to get another British Airways card (50K Avios for a 3K spend) or go for the newish Chase Aer Lingus card? Both offer Avios currency, but:

1) Can I transfer Aer Lingus into BA Avios points or vice-versa?
2) Do I have access to the same award travel seats on Aer Lingus using BA Avios vs. using Aer Lingus Avios?
3) How much do the taxes and surcharges differ for BA Avios flights to Ireland vs. Aer Lingus Avios flights to Ireland?

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Jun 20, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
You can freely transfer Avios in the Aer Lingus programme to the BA Exec Club through Avios.com, as long as your email and name details match.

Aer Lingus and BA use the same Avios bands. However, availability on EI is hard to track and the fees are eye-watering, similar to BAs. You may find a cash fare better value.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
You can freely transfer Avios in the Aer Lingus programme to the BA Exec Club through Avios.com, as long as your email and name details match.

Aer Lingus and BA use the same Avios bands. However, availability on EI is hard to track and the fees are eye-watering, similar to BAs. You may find a cash fare better value.
Thanks Brian. I thought BA Avios to Ireland was one of the few remaining good uses of that currency; or perhaps MCO to Asia (thinking of HKG and NRT in particular).

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Jun 21, 2018 at 7:17 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thanks Brian. I thought BA Avios to Ireland was one of the few remaining good uses of that currency; or perhaps MCO to Asia (thinking of HKG and NRT in particular).
Any other thoughts, anyone?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:51 am

Any other thoughts, anyone?
As Brian said BA Avios and EI Avios are completely interchangeable and makes no difference what account they fall into. In terms of what credit card to use, go with the one that gives more Avios and/or associated benefits (or get both if you can and double up on rewards if you can hit the spend targets). In terms of flying to Ireland, yes using Avios on BA booking site or avios.com can be expensive with the fees but you definitely save money compared to cash ticket long haul. In general I believe it is cheaper to use EI compared to BA as their fees are lower. It gets quite complex IMO on the best way to use avios for EI redemptions, I think the best way is to use BA booking service and ring them on the phone to get the lowest fees for EI avios redemptions. Sitting on 400K avios I'd suggest getting business class seats as your avios give way more value that way but it is very difficult to nab 2 business class seats on EI award bookings.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccartje
As Brian said BA Avios and EI Avios are completely interchangeable and makes no difference what account they fall into. In terms of what credit card to use, go with the one that gives more Avios and/or associated benefits (or get both if you can and double up on rewards if you can hit the spend targets). In terms of flying to Ireland, yes using Avios on BA booking site or avios.com can be expensive with the fees but you definitely save money compared to cash ticket long haul. In general I believe it is cheaper to use EI compared to BA as their fees are lower. It gets quite complex IMO on the best way to use avios for EI redemptions, I think the best way is to use BA booking service and ring them on the phone to get the lowest fees for EI avios redemptions. Sitting on 400K avios I'd suggest getting business class seats as your avios give way more value that way but it is very difficult to nab 2 business class seats on EI award bookings.
Thanks MC. May be looking at up to four seats, as I may be taking my in-laws along with me. Alternatively I have 600K AA miles. I've only ever used AA miles for RDU > HNL Hawaii trips. Since AA and BA are in the same alliance, I imagine things would be as bad or worse cost-of-booking / availability-wise. Anyone know any different?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:26 am

Thanks MC. May be looking at up to four seats, as I may be taking my in-laws along with me. Alternatively I have 600K AA miles. I've only ever used AA miles for RDU > HNL Hawaii trips. Since AA and BA are in the same alliance, I imagine things would be as bad or worse cost-of-booking / availability-wise. Anyone know any different?
If you use your AA miles and account and book an AA operated flight the fees will be MUCH lower. But there is no direct AA flight from MCO to DUB so guess its a case of balancing having to connect but getting low fee award flight and higher fees but direct. Obviously its worth doing your homework on this trying to find what fits you best and saves you most money. I find nothing is ever simple and straight forward with miles bookings. Good luck with it, and if you do find yourself in DUB I hope you and your family enjoy it!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccartje
If you use your AA miles and account and book an AA operated flight the fees will be MUCH lower. But there is no direct AA flight from MCO to DUB so guess its a case of balancing having to connect but getting low fee award flight and higher fees but direct. Obviously its worth doing your homework on this trying to find what fits you best and saves you most money. I find nothing is ever simple and straight forward with miles bookings. Good luck with it, and if you do find yourself in DUB I hope you and your family enjoy it!
Thanks MC, good advice. Been to Ireland twice before (preferred flying into Shannon to enjoy the rugged west coast counties), but family has never been. Wife's mom has ancestry in Ireland, so it would be a great trip for them.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Will need to perform some research on this, but I suppose I could always use the 50K BA Avios on hotels if all else is unfavorable.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Will need to perform some research on this, but I suppose I could always use the 50K BA Avios on hotels if all else is unfavorable.
I'm not having any luck finding award travel availability using BA's search engine. Is there a better way, perhaps via Aer Lingus or Iberia's sites?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

I'd like to search availability on Avios.com to see if that's better. However:

1) My BA membership number isn't recognized on the Avios.com login
2) There seems to be no way to generate an Avios.com specific login

Please advise.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Decided to go for another BA card. The application went pending. Fingers crossed, I'll be approved in the next few days.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Decided to go for another BA card. The application went pending. Fingers crossed, I'll be approved in the next few days.
I think you've timed that well. I think I read somewhere today that the Chase BA card is now back to 100k points signup bonus rather than 50k!

[EDIT: here's the link] https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-airways-visa/

Last edited by golfmad; Jun 25, 2018 at 4:14 pm Reason: Included the link to the article today about the return of the 100k signup bonus
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
I think you've timed that well. I think I read somewhere today that the Chase BA card is now back to 100k points signup bonus rather than 50k!

[EDIT: here's the link] https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-airways-visa/
Excellent, thanks. It's now been 4 days and my BA hasn't shown up in my Chase account. Typically, in cases where I'm not auto-approved, the card shows up in my account 2-3 days after applying. Thinking I got rejected and should apply for another non-Chase card. Should I let things sit a few more days? Was hoping to get approved, call to have the card expedited, and use it to pay rent to help meet the minimum required spend.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Excellent, thanks. It's now been 4 days and my BA hasn't shown up in my Chase account. Typically, in cases where I'm not auto-approved, the card shows up in my account 2-3 days after applying. Thinking I got rejected and should apply for another non-Chase card. Should I let things sit a few more days? Was hoping to get approved, call to have the card expedited, and use it to pay rent to help meet the minimum required spend.
Today I received a letter from Chase asking that I call them to verify my address and to confirm I'd made the application--I moved from one State to another recently. During the call they approved me for the BA card; so I'm happy and relieved. Wife got a similar letter today for her IHG card app; but it asked her to fax proof of address, like a utility or driver's license. Not sure why they treated us differently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.