Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag police

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
She was. I was at the front of group1 and she was told 4-5 times. It rung alarms with me that she needed to be told it 4-5 times (My research was on neurodegenerative disease in my former life). Then on the plane she was confused about where the seat number was and what the letters meant. A lady in CE did show her but it didn't register.
Plus, factor in the fact that unless one is a very frequent flyer, just stepping into an airport with the intent to fly out of it causes a certain amount of neurodegeneration, what with signs placed in no relation to what the signs reference, vague and lengthy directions when asking a staffer where something is, or, in the alternative, pointing into the bowels of a giant terminal with the instruction, "Over there." Being barked at constantly by TSA, sometimes with orders that contradict obvious signage. All added to the "hurry the hell up" vibe that pervades. One must enter with quite a bit of neurocognitive reserve just to reach ones seat still able to think at all. I'm 60 and still firing on all cylinders, but I can foresee the day when I am still well able to travel but can't negotiate the airport.
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Quite. The way people use the lockers is quite staggeringly inefficient sometimes. The lockers go quite a long way back to the fuselage, and they are often left empty. Not to mention the half full lockers invariably found around row 20. With careful positioning and lining up with other items, issues like this should be rapidly resolved.
We have the inconsiderate folks who jam their bag into the first available space to thank for that one. "No, go ahead 24E, use the space over row 14, nobody in that row will have issues playing upstream-salmon to find their bag when the CC moves it to row 20!" .... said nobody ever.
Crampedin13A and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
The AA platinum was grumpy that he was asked to move to let me out. Then he was making grumpy comments about BOB. The CC said to him as she was handing me the cup of tea I paid via avios. You can put your stuff on here (the middle seat) It is blocked for a gold member (as she handed me the card with a wink). He was one of the people I see a lot that they think status means a license to be rude. :-)
I really hope Mr. AA Platinum is under the impression that BA Gold is one level down the pecking order from him...
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
When my late mother-in-law came to visit us at a point where her (still early) dementia was starting to cause issues, we ensured we had a taxi driver who would take her to check-in, disabled assistance to get her to lounge and gate, and gave her a number of cards to show to staff and cabin crew explaining her difficulties (she had primary progressive aphasia which made it difficult for her to find the right words, particularly in novel or stressful situations). She had great flights with everyone being very helpful, but I can imagine that without that support she would have found it very difficult particularly given how difficult it was for her to express herself verbally.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
When my late mother-in-law came to visit us at a point where her (still early) dementia was starting to cause issues, we ensured we had a taxi driver who would take her to check-in, disabled assistance to get her to lounge and gate, and gave her a number of cards to show to staff and cabin crew explaining her difficulties (she had primary progressive aphasia which made it difficult for her to find the right words, particularly in novel or stressful situations). She had great flights with everyone being very helpful, but I can imagine that without that support she would have found it very difficult particularly given how difficult it was for her to express herself verbally.
The issue I think comes when someone for whatever reason (often either undiagnosed or somewhat in denial) simply hasn't had a chance to get that well prepared. Your mother in law was clearly lucky she had you and your family around her thinking about such preparations...

I remember my mum's last trip to Spain with my Stepdad, as he described it to me. Sounded like the travel parts were quite hard work...
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Also the elderly generation most likely did not fly as much as we do nowadays. If they did, there wasn't the same security protocols and stresses. Nowadays if an elderly person is flying on their own - it's most likely to visit family. As my own mother has dementia and in a care home - I'll start looking out to help them a bit more.

OT - I work for a large local authority and we are now master-planning for the next 15 years for an increase in Alzheimers/Dementia and that more care homes will be required. Well done GlasgowCyclops - I'll make sure you get first dibs on our new homes
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:28 am

I don't get why people are like this. Even a selfish person should still want to help the elderly person because that plane isn't moving until their bags are stowed and they are seated. Similarly, I will get up and help someone put their bag in the overhead if they seem to be having difficulty, because, among other reasons, helping them is better than having the bag dropped on my head.
gypsyjaney and jfallesen like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
What cheeses me off is that I always stick to the size rules yet many people just bring two large bits of luggage where the 2nd one is clearly not going to fit under the seat in front and so they just put both bags in the overheads taking up the space for two.

Why the gate staff don't stop these abusers at the gate I have no idea. I have never seen anyone pulled up for having two full-sized carry-ons. If there is anything good about the low-cost airlines is that their pricing policies mean they do police carry on baggage more. I wish BA would.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:53 am

Vaguely related to the elderly lady story. I was leaving a BA flight from the back of CW (towards the front door) and I noticed that a lady in 1st was clearly struggling with something in the locker but everyone just pushed past her.

Took me less than 15 seconds to offer to help, grab her foldable walking stick which was stuck at the back of the overhead, give her a big smile and be on my way.

People are w*nk*rs.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Well, I tried to play bag police - sort of - yesterday but without much effect. I was boarding my very packed European flight with a large C cabin of 12 rows. I had changed my plan and the best I could get was 6C (I'm normally a window guy). Arriving at the same time as me down the stairs (I was walking) was a 70-ish year old lady so I stopped to let her go in front of me with a smile. She did without even looking at me let alone thanking me but who cares.

She similarly ignored the smiling welcome of the CSM at the door and took her large brown duffle bag above row 1. She did not sit there though so I thought she might have a seat a few rows further back. When reaching my row (6) she still hadn't sat so as there was no one before me, I looked with curiosity. She continued all the way down to row 27 or 28 and sat there. I thus decided to approach the crew member waiting by the emergency exit row 11 as it was slightly easier than walking back to row 1 and told her that I was surprised that the lady who had just sat in row 27 had left her large cabin size bag above row 1 and that I was worried that the people coming to sit in row 1 (who hadn't arrived yet in a C cabin increasingly full of bags) would find it hard to find room for their bag, so she might wish to ask the lady if she could bring her bag closer to her, or alternatively feel free to move it to the right cabin - at least - should passengers in row 1 and 2 have no room for their bags left.

She looked at me blankly, and a few minutes later, when the row 1 people finally arrived, they had to walk back to rows 11 or 12 to find room for their bags.

So yes, I know, overhead space does not "belong" to anyone specifically, but still, I find it extremely selfish that someone sat at the very end of the plane would put her things above row 1. I have many family members around that age so always have some level of sympathy for how things that are easy when one is younger become harder at that age, such as lugging hand luggage about, but ultimately, there is no reason to visit this on other passengers, and even assuming that she was on a HBO fare which I am not convinced by, BA had sent messages to everyone (C pax included!) to say that we could check bags for free given the flight was very busy.

I personally wish the crew member would have gone to talk to her and proposed to move her bag, or even done it forcibly when it became clear that the people who couldn't keep bags in front of them in row 1 would not have space for their hand luggage for at least 10 rows.
Crampedin13A and Cotumely like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I like the way Swiss and Aegean keep the business class bins closed during boarding which seems to stop Y passengers dumping their bags before moving back. It's so easy to do and effective.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Quite. The way people use the lockers is quite staggeringly inefficient sometimes. The lockers go quite a long way back to the fuselage, and they are often left empty. Not to mention the half full lockers invariably found around row 20. With careful positioning and lining up with other items, issues like this should be rapidly resolved.
I didn't think you find yourself anywhere near row 20 usually!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I like the way Swiss and Aegean keep the business class bins closed during boarding which seems to stop Y passengers dumping their bags before moving back. It's so easy to do and effective.
Last few BA flights I took (CE to / from INV) did the same.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:54 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Thomathy
I would absolutely love a 'Bag Police' official badge to wear in situations like this. It could give me a real air of authority, in the event that I choose to offer my fellow passengers any unwanted advice during the journey. I propose a similar 'Boarding Queue Police' badge, which I could display when patrolling the gate.
This could actually work (it does in other industries and situations). There are a lot of extremely helpful very frequent flyers on BA. BA don't know who they are but the cabin crew do. If they could be given a badge like a prefect or a deputy it might actually be helpful in situations like the OPs. I humbly suggest "BA Assist". Cabin crew notice a pax helping out in a calm and polite manner and vote for them. 5 votes and you get your shiny badge.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:27 am

Angry Abusing allowed space

Originally Posted by Smid
I think we all know what the real problem is with people having their bag overhead.... Not having it overhead so they can grab it on the way off the plane. If it's behind them, the attitude is that might as well have it in the hold...
the problem is with people sitting in the back rows who dump their luggage in the front rows so they don’t have to drag allllll the way . In the meantime the front row passengers have trouble finding space not to mention placing bags sideways like they are the only ones there! Boils down to consideration which the public nowadays is severely lacking....
spaninan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.